Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sound Problems on Powerbook G4

Sound Problems on Powerbook G4
blahblahbloo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2006, 03:24 AM

Hello,

I am having some problems! My powerbook G4 laptop has intermittent sound problems. In the middle of using my laptop the sound will suddenly cut out, with a little clicking sound, as if I have muted the sounds in the system preferences.

All my settings are on and turned up. It's like the speakers have become disconnected. It sometimes fixes itself after a restart but hasn't done on the last few occasions and I am worried it might have packed up for good.

Has anybody else had any problems like this? Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I go about fixing it.

The sound came back on once when I lifted the laptop up and tilted it back. Strange.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers

Leopard Employee
May 3, 2006, 03:50 AM

There are a couple of things, a dodgy solder in the curcuit for the speakers. My concern would be that both of the speakes stopped and not just one which would be more common in connection problem. The other option is, has your mute/F3 key seen any trauma recently might be shorting out and giving the command but if you pressed it again the sound should come back.

Are you out of waranty yet? if you are and are a bit technically minded, open her up and run some continuity checks on the speaker you can pick up a multimeter for about £20, not sure in the states but you don't need anything fancy for this work. also check the mute key for fluff etc while you are in there.

Does the startup sound play every time? Let us know how you go

blahblahbloo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2006, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm not confident enough to open her up. Wouldn't know what I was looking at. And yes I'm out of the warranty period.

All buttons are as good as new, I treat her well. The start up sounds doesn't always play.

I think my best option is to take it to a mac shop and have someone profesional look at it.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules