Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why won't Tiger shut down or restart on my machine?

Why won't Tiger shut down or restart on my machine?
Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 12:05 AM

Clean install (format before install). My PM won't restart or shut down thru the Apple menu. It will quit all programs fine, then dim my desktop background, and then show the spinning thingee (looks like a stopwatch going round and round, I don't know how else to explain it) but won't ever finish. If left long enough, the machine will sleep but when I wake it up, the monitor won't come on. The only way I can get it to shut down is to hold the power button down and force it. I really don't like doing that -- and shouldn't have to either.

Any ideas?

I've tried zapping PRAM, repairing permissions, repairing the disk and finally a clean install. What could be causing the hang?

And, on a non-OS X note, Safari won't save my home page and Image Capture doesn't recognize my Canon digital camera.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2005, 02:13 AM

A particular process on your system is not terminating for some reason. Have you tried to shut down or reboot from another user? Until you figure the problem out, you may want to try the Terminal's shutdown command instead: type "sudo shutdown now" to shutdown or "sudo shutdown -r now" to reboot (both without the quotes).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

badidea
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 04:44 AM

What kind of PCI cards do you have? Probably a M-Audio soundcard?

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
A particular process on your system is not terminating for some reason. Have you tried to shut down or reboot from another user? Until you figure the problem out, you may want to try the Terminal's shutdown command instead: type "sudo shutdown now" to shutdown or "sudo shutdown -r now" to reboot (both without the quotes).
I will try this. But how do I figure out what process is not terminating?

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
No PCI cards.

Gankdawg  (op)
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 10:33 PM

I think I may have found the culprit - a bus powered USB hub. Stay tuned.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
Thats what I have and I can't shutdown my MDD. I don't restart often, but I would like an updated driver to fix this anyway.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2005, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Thats what I have and I can't shutdown my MDD. I don't restart often, but I would like an updated driver to fix this anyway.
Hmmm, your signature doesn't say anything about your audiocard model but if you have the Revolution 7.1 as I do, then updated drivers (1.4.1) are already released and they fixed the problem for me!

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2005, 11:35 PM

After trouble shooting this myself I googled the culprit - QuickBackStartupItem

and this is what I came up with:

" I had the same issue with my Dual 2GHz G5 not shutting down after doing the Tiger upgrade. NVRAM and Open Firmware resets did no good. A search on the Apple Discussion web site revealed that 3rd party startup items were the culprit, with SpeedTools most often the offender.
Look in /library/startupitems (at the root drive level, not the user library) and remove the 3rd party items.
SpeedTools and QuickBackStartupItem have both been confirmed to break shutdown/restart. (one reader also mentioned some Norton items-Mike) Remove these items, and then after the next boot both the shutdown and restart routines will work correctly.
-Brian D. " - from xlr8yourmac.com

Now my powerbook is shutting down and restarting fine. If you have recently installed Speedtools, this is probably the problem.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules