Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printer Drivers for Shared Printers

Printer Drivers for Shared Printers
quadraphonic
Sep 3, 2005, 08:38 PM

I've got a Canon ip5000 hooked up to my PC. It's set to be shared over my network.

I CAN add the printer to my PB through the WINDOWS PRINTER section, but it gets set to Generic Postscript under the 'Kind' column. When I plug the printer into the PB, its name is displayed as ip500 and the 'Kind' is Canon ip5000.

I've installed the driver's that came bundled with the printer on the PB, but I have no idea where to find them.

Am I stuck with the generic postscript settings if I keep the printer connected to my PC?
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 3, 2005, 08:54 PM

I don't know Windows too well, but you should be able to set up the printer in Windows as a "raw" printer as opposed to PostScript, allowing you to just use the printer's real Windows drivers, with all the attendant settings.

tooki

quadraphonic  (op)
Sep 3, 2005, 11:44 PM

Setting the printer up in windows is no problem, it's the way my PB reads it when using it as a shared printer.

I was hoping to use the exact drivers, not a generic set.
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules