Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row...

Front Row...
gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 03:30 PM

So what will this do to Center Stage? Will it work with other Macs? I see they have the remote for sale.... Hmmmmmm...
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2005, 03:35 PM

Yeah, I'd like to have it on my G5.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 04:14 PM

[Can i install it on my PowerMac G5? How?

badtz
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 05:38 PM

i wonder if they will release this as a standalone [non-iMac-only] software and the remote too for playback on your current mac [whatever it may be, powerbook,powermac, etc.]

RayK
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 05:40 PM

I hope so...
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 06:09 PM

Is the apple remote IR or BT?

I can't seem to find definitive info:

• New iMac doesn't show as having an Infra-red port on the tech specs - and I don't see why they'd have it - they've even cut out the modem to get rid of components.

• Universal Dock has what looks like an IR port on the front.

• The Apple Remote has a black section at the top - presumably for IR. I don't see why they'd put black in there otherwise (even as a visual cue.)

• It's unusual to see a BT device as low as $27.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 06:14 PM

This should be easy enough to determine once people start getting these new iMacs. Just turn off Bluetooth and see if the remote still works. Heck, if there's a display model in the Apple Store, you might be able just to walk in and try it there.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 06:16 PM

From the screenshots, it looks like you can only use the DVD mode with an actual disc inserted in the drive. It would be neat to be able to select from a folder of dvd.dmg image files, especially for kids as they would no longer have to handle the actual discs.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 06:17 PM

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/12imac.html

It's Infra-red. I suspected so. BT would drain more battery, and require pairing etc....

Apparently the IR sensor is in next to the embedded iSight.

Sigh.... no FrontRow for us....

Hanul
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 06:25 PM

The Apple remote only works with the new iPod dock and the new iMacs. While it is available independently, it only mentions the iPod and the iMac for use. There is no software like Front Row coming with it.

I hope the next mini revisions have IR, Apple Remote and Front Row at least as an option. It would be a nice media center, although it lacks the power to show HD content.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 08:39 PM

I'd pay upwards of $49.95 for Front Row. I have a Mac mini and 50" plasma. I currently use bit torrent to download TV shows. I'd love to have a sleek interface to run all of my TV shows, movies, music, etc... Yeah, $50 would be easy to justify for this software. I can't imagine that Apple would limit it only to the iMac.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:05 PM

According to an Apple exec ...

“The concept is one that people get—the ability to enjoy your music, photos and videos from anywhere in your room,” Joswiak added. “It’s all in the implementation and execution. You can see the Apple details—it’s an experience unlike anything else that exists.”

Front Row will only be available as part of the iMac, Apple says. The company has no plans to make it available in other Macs or as a standalone application.

“At this time it’s only on the iMac as part of the integrated hardware software solution,” said David Moody, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing. “The goal was to make it as simple as possible right out of the box.”
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10...ysis/index.php

Stupid. Just real stupid. People who already have home theater setups or who don't want a computer in the living room (even one as slick looking as an iMac) are not going to buy a new iMac just to get this functionality. The new iMac benefits the dorm room crowd or those with studio apartments only. But people will drop $130 - $150 for an Airport Express Video that comes bundled with FrontRow and an Apple Remote that they can use with their existing TV (or home theater) and Mac. Elgato has already shown that this can be done with the EyeHome. WTF is Apple waiting for?

OAW

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 09:23 PM

Gah. Good thing I have Salling Clicker.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2005, 09:24 PM

Bummer. Well we can hope that some iMac owners will figure out a way to bundle the app and put it up on some torrent sites for the rest of us. Hey, I said I'd pay for it. But, it they aint gonna let my buy it, I'll steal it!

In seriousness, it does seem like Apple is trying to force the iMac on us as the living room media device. I guess because Apple makes a load on iMacs but not on minis. Now, if only Apple made plasmas, then they'd bundle this with a mini.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
According to an Apple exec ...

Stupid. Just real stupid. People who already have home theater setups or who don't want a computer in the living room (even one as slick looking as an iMac) are not going to buy a new iMac just to get this functionality. The new iMac benefits the dorm room crowd or those with studio apartments only. But people will drop $130 - $150 for an Airport Express Video that comes bundled with FrontRow and an Apple Remote that they can use with their existing TV (or home theater) and Mac. Elgato has already shown that this can be done with the EyeHome. WTF is Apple waiting for?

OAW
Fast wi-fi?

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 09:32 PM

I don't see why an Airport Express Video (once they get the fast wi-fi) couldn't respond to the remote and send the signal to a remote mac which could then forward the screens back to the TV. That way you could get the Front Room experience on your TV from a mac located in a different part of the house. That would be ideal.

kman

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
Fast wi-fi?
I don't see a lot of people complaining that their EyeHome can't handle video well. And that is with currently technology. The wi-fi that is out now can definitely handle music and photos. Apple just won't do it because they have iPod on the brain so much that they've totally forgotten about the digital hub. The new iMac is not a digital hub since everything is self-contained in that one unit. The iPod is great for portable consumption of media. The new iMac is great for dorm rooms. What is missing is a true digital hub that can access content stored on a Mac and make it accessible in the living room with a remote while chilling on the couch.

OAW

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 11:34 PM

I'd pay for it. It'd be killer on my 30" display

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I don't see a lot of people complaining that their EyeHome can't handle video well. And that is with currently technology. The wi-fi that is out now can definitely handle music and photos. Apple just won't do it because they have iPod on the brain so much that they've totally forgotten about the digital hub. The new iMac is not a digital hub since everything is self-contained in that one unit. The iPod is great for portable consumption of media. The new iMac is great for dorm rooms. What is missing is a true digital hub that can access content stored on a Mac and make it accessible in the living room with a remote while chilling on the couch.

OAW

Apple wants HD capable wi-fi.

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 11:58 PM

I bet Apple will release FrontRow in the next upgrade of iLife. They have to have something new so people will buy the upgrade and therefore I don't think they will release it earlier.

I use TV output on my PowerMac for watching video and I would love to have FrontRow for that. I have also seriously been thinking of buying a mac mini as my "media center". If Apple would have a mac mini with FrontRow I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by aladdinsane
I bet Apple will release FrontRow in the next upgrade of iLife. They have to have something new so people will buy the upgrade and therefore I don't think they will release it earlier.
Good thought. Very possible.
If so, hopefully it'll come out earlier in 2006 than later.

sxates
Oct 13, 2005, 12:32 AM

I think front row is just the beginning of a big media center push for Apple. Wrote an article about it, you guys might be interested:

http://sxates.com/articles/thoughts-on-applefront-row

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:07 AM

I feel they need FrontRow to make iLife worth buying again. I currently buy iLife for iPhoto alone. I think Garage Band, iDVD and iMovie are amazing, but I just don't use them. Considering iTunes continues to be free, paying $80 for iPhoto is a HARD sell. IMHO, I feel like I'm being forced to buy Microsoft Office when all I need is Word. [Granted, there are people out there using iDVD, iMovie and Garage Band on a frequent basis, which makes iLife worthy of the price]

IMHO, FrontRow is Apple's answer to Windows XP Media Center Edition (but scaled down).

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 01:11 AM

i think they can implement this on their other macs via:
1. new monitors with infrared
2. new keyboard with infrared
3. create a bluetooth version
4. dongle

i havent read any of the other responses..just the first..

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 01:20 AM

3. create a bluetooth version

This one makes the most sense. It would explain why all the recent, otherwise-minor product revisions (iBooks, Minis, iMacs) have made Bluetooth a standard option.

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 01:23 AM

It looks like the current remote is IR. But, you can get USB IR receivers for pretty cheap these days. That doesn't really stand as an obstacle for me.
Me

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:27 AM

I would say a good BT offering would be great. I would be very useful for presentations... and we know how Apple hates losing money that could easily be theirs.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 04:06 AM

What we need is this : Airport Express 3, with video output and IR remote and Front Row.

Ok - that might be asking too much of a little device like that, so maybe a Mac Mini based set-top box. You'd plug it into your TV and use Front Row to access all your media on any Macs on your network. This would be awesome, especially if they got their act together and integrated it with Elgato Eye TV support.

...or (gulp) partner with Microsoft and develop Front Row for the XBox 360...

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 05:51 AM

Don't know whether this is relevant but my local John Lewis has just dropped the price on their Airport Express. Maybe this a sign that they are clearing out for new stock!

I know 802.11n is a way off still. Would WiMax fit the bill for Airport Express 3, especially now we are best friends with Intel?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 06:39 AM

Don't forget Apple put out 802.11g before the spec was finalized.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 08:38 AM

I agree apple should bundle it with a mini as well. I'm in the process of moving to Canada, don't have much spare change left, and a home entertainment center is way off in the future if I want that dream house of mine. A mac mini with Front Row with the ability to stream off the network would be a perfect solution for me.

The only things I feel Front Row is lacking is
1) stream off the network
2) built-in PVR
3) portability (I should be able to use it on my iBook (or Power Book for those fortunate enough to have one of those)

on a side note, I'm getting sick of reading from the rumor sites that apple is releasing _______.... whatever happened to the good old days when we were surprised. I'm also sick of the demonstrations of iTunes during the keynotes/special events/whatever they're called these days.

All in all, getting home after avoiding the internet and radio and television for the entire day just so I could lock myself in a room and stream the special announcement on my iBook and hear for the first time what the great unveiling was, was a great experience. Its like those days where for some reason you had to miss the superbowl, and you avoided everyone and everythign that might leak a hint, and ran home and hid away from everyone to watch your taping of it.... .. but I digress.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 09:33 AM

Front Row will only be available as part of the iMac, Apple says. The company has no plans to make it available in other Macs or as a standalone application.
Meaning: as long as we haven't released any products other than the iMac, we officially say that we don't plan to release it for other models since we don't want to tell what our plans really are.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by OAW

Stupid. Just real stupid. People who already have home theater setups or who don't want a computer in the living room (even one as slick looking as an iMac) are not going to buy a new iMac just to get this functionality.
I think you will find you're wrong.

Very wrong.

I personally know at least one person who's already declared that he'll be selling his six-month-old iMac 20" now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
I personally know at least one person who's already declared that he'll be selling his six-month-old iMac 20" now.
So? That's one more person abandoning the Mac. How is that going to help Apple?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I think analogika meant more along the lines of abandoning the 6 month old iMacs for the new models coming out.

But, I do agree. Just because a few people will jump ship, doesn't mean the majority of us want a completely visible computer in our entertainment rooms. I admit I used to have one, but that was back in the college dorm days, when we were getting our hands dirty and creating our own solutions. There weren't other solutions out... now there are. And hopefully the mac mini becomes the new media center solution.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
What we need is this : Airport Express 3, with video output and IR remote and Front Row.
What happened to AE2?

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
Ok - that might be asking too much of a little device like that
Why? D.Link has something like that already.
JLL

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
What happened to AE2?

Why? D.Link has something like that already.

I was thinking the same about AE2..

and Sony also has a portable solution for video as well.

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 12:49 PM

Here's a petition to bring Front Row to all recent Macs (running Tiger).

http://www.petitiononline.com/frontrow/petition.html

kman

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 12:55 PM

Apple wants HD capable wi-fi.
Well again, IMO if that is the case then it is a real stupid reason. Here's why ...

1. Most people do not have HD capable TVs.

2. This is very little HD content available for those people who do have HD capable TVs.

3. The hard disk storage requirements for HD content is HUGE. Your hard drive will fill up very quickly with just a few shows.

4. HD content will be widely available via broadcast (OTA, cable, or satellite) and DVD long before it can be downloaded and streamed over wi-fi.

In the meantime, there is plenty of standard definition and DVD quality content that current wi-fi technology can handle. Music and photos can easily be handled with today's technology. Why pass on providing a solution to handle music, photos, and standard definition and DVD quality video to wait on technology that can handle all of that plus HD video? WTF ever happened to the 80/20 rule?

OAW

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
He's buying a new one if he can't upgrade his old one, stupid.

He has no TV, and the thing is his entire media center - just like Apple intends for the Mac to become.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 02:56 PM

It'd be nice if Front Row had a plug-in architecture, though it probably has crown-jewel status at Apple and thus limited to 'approved' apps only.

I'm thinking of getting a new iMac, but it will feel clumsy if my EyeTV doesn't integrate well. As Apple doesn't provide a TV solution, they could somehow make the experience more seamless for plugging in 3rd party stuff. VLC would be nice as a plug-in version, too. Simple games, why not - what was that iTunes one where you had a quiz (Rockstar?).

Basically, the plug-in architecture would give app developers a secondary UI and access to the remote control.

If this makes sense, please support my future living room vision by firing off at http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

J

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 03:07 PM

I've been talking about an Apple Media Center solution for over a year. Who is better situated to finally produce one that "isn't scottish" than Apple?

Front Row is the opening salvo, to be sure. I suspect that Apple isn't rushing into the whole media-PC, PVR, set-top box, etc arena because, quite frankly, it isn't a very big market. I think Front Row is testing the waters a bit by adding functionality to a single product line to see what happens.

Front Row should definitely find its way to other Macs as a standalone product. Not doing so would be pretty pointless, IMO. I can't imagine that "iMac only" would will really corner those who want it into springing for an iMac. Then again, I routinely underestimate the disposable income (or massive consumer debt) of Apple customers.

OTOH, Front Row might be an ugly bandaid to keep the iMac differentiated from the rest of the hardware line-up until intel Macs show up. We all know Apple has a history of doing that kind of kludge.

Have to admit, the iMac is a helluva lot more appealing now than it was before. That might be all there is to it. But I am hoping Front Row For the Rest of Us is in the not-so-distant future.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
Front Row should definitely find its way to other Macs as a standalone product. Not doing so would be pretty pointless, IMO. I can't imagine that "iMac only" would will really corner those who want it into springing for an iMac. Then again, I routinely underestimate the disposable income (or massive consumer debt) of Apple customers.
I agree. FrontRow should be offered separately as part of iLife. Airport Express should be upgraded and offer video out capabilities. The Apple Remote interfaces with FrontRow and iLife content is now available in the living room to every Mac user with relatively recent hardware and a home theater setup. The only thing missing is an Airport Express with video out capabilities. And the Airport Express hasn't been updated since it was released nearly a 1 1/2 years ago because Apple is so iPod focused it seems.

OAW

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
I agree. FrontRow should be offered separately as part of iLife. Airport Express should be upgraded and offer video out capabilities. The Apple Remote interfaces with FrontRow and iLife content is now available in the living room to every Mac user with relatively recent hardware and a home theater setup. The only thing missing is an Airport Express with video out capabilities. And the Airport Express hasn't been updated since it was released nearly a 1 1/2 years ago because Apple is so iPod focused it seems.

OAW
Now that the RDF is wearing off, i'm realizing there is no way in hell I'd want to sit on my sofa and squint at a 20" inch iMac (let alone the smaller one) playing a movie. The Remote is really only great for music and maybe slideshows in my (and I assume most other people's) living room. I'd rather spring for the Universal Dock (and iPod if you don't have one) and hook it up to your existing home theater and enjoy the Remote in its full glory.

Front Row enabled iMacs are really best suited to secondary areas like the kitchen, bedroom, office, reception area and NOT the living room.

Front Row on a Mini becomes a much much more appealing solution for a typical living room, otherwise an iPod and Universal Dock offers much the same functionality and integrates into a living room a helluva lot better.

I used to dismiss the "too iPod focused" naysayers, but I'm starting to become one. I realize that the current Mac lineup is terrific and the MacTel future is extremely bright but what ever happened to iWork and Airport Express (or even the Basestation)? I thought iWork was suppossed to replace AppleWorks? They seem to be missing a lot of features on that score. I've gone back to Office (shudder) for the most part. Airport Express could use some remote-control or video/photo sharing new hotness. Even the hot new hardware is almost always associated with iPods/iTunes either directly or indirectly.

In fact, did you notice that during Jobs' video-iPod to TV demo he actually called the iPod "the iMac" and didn't even notice or correct himself? Yes, harmless slip during a long presentation but I couldn't help think it deeply Fruedian. I'm not sure those products are all that seperate in Steve's mind any more. And just as I was having those thoughts, the suit from Disney went into his soul-chilling "technology...content....synergy....integration... venture..." corporate-buzzword-roboto speech. All it was missing was the word "paradigm" thrown in a few times and a Mr. Burns "Excellent!" at the end.

/Rant

Yes, please fold Front Row into iLife. Don't even need to put factory IR on new Macs if you don't want. I'm sure all thoses wireless keyboard/mice makers will be happy to throw in a remote to the mix. All Apple needs to do is provide the application/OS side of it.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 04:56 AM

Who is better situated to finally produce one that "isn't scottish" than Apple?
What the hell does that mean? Is there a Scot developing a Media Centre app?

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 06:23 AM

JLL

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2005, 10:41 AM

Here's a petition to bring Front Row to all recent Macs (running Tiger).

http://www.petitiononline.com/frontrow/petition.html

kman
that'll do about as much good as a petition for apple to release a software update for current ipods to be able to play video.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

Now that the RDF is wearing off, i'm realizing there is no way in hell I'd want to sit on my sofa and squint at a 20" inch iMac (let alone the smaller one) playing a movie. The Remote is really only great for music and maybe slideshows in my (and I assume most other people's) living room. I'd rather spring for the Universal Dock (and iPod if you don't have one) and hook it up to your existing home theater and enjoy the Remote in its full glory.

Front Row enabled iMacs are really best suited to secondary areas like the kitchen, bedroom, office, reception area and NOT the living room.

Front Row on a Mini becomes a much much more appealing solution for a typical living room, otherwise an iPod and Universal Dock offers much the same functionality and integrates into a living room a helluva lot better.

I used to dismiss the "too iPod focused" naysayers, but I'm starting to become one. I realize that the current Mac lineup is terrific and the MacTel future is extremely bright but what ever happened to iWork and Airport Express (or even the Basestation)? I thought iWork was suppossed to replace AppleWorks? They seem to be missing a lot of features on that score. I've gone back to Office (shudder) for the most part. Airport Express could use some remote-control or video/photo sharing new hotness. Even the hot new hardware is almost always associated with iPods/iTunes either directly or indirectly.

In fact, did you notice that during Jobs' video-iPod to TV demo he actually called the iPod "the iMac" and didn't even notice or correct himself? Yes, harmless slip during a long presentation but I couldn't help think it deeply Fruedian. I'm not sure those products are all that seperate in Steve's mind any more. And just as I was having those thoughts, the suit from Disney went into his soul-chilling "technology...content....synergy....integration... venture..." corporate-buzzword-roboto speech. All it was missing was the word "paradigm" thrown in a few times and a Mr. Burns "Excellent!" at the end.

/Rant

Yes, please fold Front Row into iLife. Don't even need to put factory IR on new Macs if you don't want. I'm sure all thoses wireless keyboard/mice makers will be happy to throw in a remote to the mix. All Apple needs to do is provide the application/OS side of it.
I agree 100% with everything said here.

I wanted to add, the remote. Steve said something along the lines of a certain slide showing what apple is all about. In it he shows 3 remote's for "media PCs". One from Microsoft, one from Apple, and one from someone else. The Apple one has 6 buttons, and the other two over 40.

I was thinking to myself, but if I'm going to watch a DVD, I would need more buttons. There's a reason all tv/vcr/dvd/satelite/cable companies have remotes with more than 6 buttons.

I love apple, and its creativity, but the remote thing really made me want to throw a rotten tomato at Steve Jobs. Its that kind of statment I'd expect out of other CEOs, but up until recently, I thought Steve was more than just the regular run of the mill CEO.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha
I was thinking to myself, but if I'm going to watch a DVD, I would need more buttons.

Really? What more buttons would you need for watching a DVD?

kman42
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
that'll do about as much good as a petition for apple to release a software update for current ipods to be able to play video.

Uh, no. Current iPods don't have the appropriate chip set to play video. Apple could easily release Front Row (just software) for any Mac. There are already third party remote controls available which could certainly be made to work with it even if Apple doesn't want to make their own remote/dock work with it (which the petition also requests if you had bothered to read it).

Apple is generally quite responsive (if not quick) to requests from customers. If they see a large demand for Front Room on other machines, especially if they can sell it, they will make it happen. Perhaps as an iLife upgrade or as a separate package that includes the remote and a USB IR receiver.

kman

Forum Links
Forum Rules