Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > looking for a vacuum cleaner : Dyson= Apple?

looking for a vacuum cleaner : Dyson= Apple?
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2007, 08:26 PM

I have been searching for a better vacuum for the house. I have been hearing rave reviews about the dyson dc17 and all I can say is wow- it seems that Dyson has a cult -like following. Problem is that they are expensive, but they sell because friends suggest it to friends/ family. Sound familiar?

Sounds like the mac. Before I get pulled into Mr. Dyson RDF, does anyone have any input on this model? There's just something inherently cool about seeing all that dirt get sucked up... I may even clean my house more because of this... which would mean my gf would be happy... thus more sex... Arrr help RDF is already causing me to manifest reason why I need this...
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 08:50 PM

RDF??

I have some friend's who actually bought a dyson and afterwards were very disappointed. A vacuum is a vacuum, why spend over 550 bucks when you can get one for 100 to a 150. I looked into them myself and I couldn't justify the cost, and instead I opted for a Eureka model and that's been great (as vacuums go).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 08:52 PM

Don't get one made by Microsoft. It'd be the only thing they'd ever made which didn't suck.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2007, 08:52 PM

Reality Distortion Field. Something that is said to emanate from Mr. Jobs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 08:58 PM

Looking for cult vacuums ? One word:

ROOOOOOMBA

-t

design219
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 08:59 PM

I just today saw a Consumer Reports on the news stand and this issue covers vacuums. You might want to check it out.

Also, don't let price and cult following alone sway you (Apple excepted). The Rainbow brand of vacuums has a big following and are expensive, but they suck (and not is the right way). They have always gotten bad reviews from consumer reports. My sister in-law and my aunt have Rainbows. They swear by them, but I've seen them both in action and i think they are not at all good.

My wife and I bought a Eureka World-Vac about 12 years ago on a recommendation from Consumer Reports and it is still going strong.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2007, 09:49 PM

Quite happy with a Roomba.

hart
Senior User
Nov 23, 2007, 10:21 PM

I got a $500 Miele vacuum years ago because I needed a HEPA filter to filter out lead dust. I guess it was OK for that but I spent hundreds of dollars over the years fixing it, not to mention the $75 filters every 6 months or so and the $$ for the bags.

Now that the kids are too old to lick the floor anymore I just got a cheapo one. Vacuums are like phones for me now. I figure they're going to break anyway so I'm not going to break the bank buying one in the first place. Mostly I wanted something that was easy to tote around the house so I wouldn't mind using it in the first place.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 23, 2007, 11:01 PM

I LOVE my Dyson, and have loved it for several years. It really does maintain suction even when horribly overloaded, and I've probably managed to pay for it in vacuum bags I haven't had to buy. I have a number of friends and relatives who have bought the Dyson (mostly the Animal model) on my recommendation and they love it too. Dysons come with two major filters, one is washable and the other is a lifetime HEPA filter on the final exhaust. Dysons are certified "asthma friendly" by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Oh, and just about every other vacuum maker has "suddenly" adopted a "vortex" design in the last couple of years.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 11:17 PM

A $100 Hoover upright works for me - had it for over a decade. But I don't have hairy pets or kids...

If you need a powerful HEPA cleaner with BMW build quality that not only sucks every atom off the surface you need to perform surgery on but is also capable of creating a black hole, you could spend $1000 for a Miele Capricorn or $800 on a Sebo.
( Last edited by osiris; Nov 24, 2007 at 12:19 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 12:03 AM

Love the Dyson.*

*Well, not physically.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 12:09 AM

Hoover makes a bagless, filterless vacuum that gets better ratings from Consumer Reports and Consumer Guide than the Dyson...and it's only $110 or so at Wal-Mart.

Dyson is overrated IMO. They're not bad vacuums, but they're not really worth the huge premium in price, either.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2007, 12:15 AM

6 dogs.
7 cats.
Live on a dirt road.

We killed a vacuum cleaner about once a year (various hoovers, not exactly cheap ones). Bought the purple (pet?) Dyson 3.5 years ago and it's still going strong. There is a vacuum repair shop next to the shop I work in, and they claim the only thing better than Dyson is Kirby, but damn those are expensive and they weigh a ton.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
There is a vacuum repair shop next to the shop I work in, and they claim the only thing better than Dyson is Kirby, but damn those are expensive and they weigh a ton.
You don't really feel the weight of the Kirby with the drive system engaged. Pain in the botty changing to the tools and suchlike though.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Dyson is overrated IMO. They're not bad vacuums, but they're not really worth the huge premium in price, either.
I've had my Dyson for... wow... 8 years now. Still sucks like new and worth every cent IMO. I'd bet 9/10 Dyson owners agree with me too.

It really is like the Apple/Windows debate. You can save a few bucks and think you're happy, but us smug Dyson owners know better.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 01:27 AM

I will unreservedly recommend you get one, but...

The engineering (not the suction) of the hose attachment is a disaster, especially in a confined space. Like, you know, along a wall where you like, you know, USE a hose attachment. I'm shocked no one has mentioned this.

You don't get it for the hose though, so that doesn't really detract from it being a five-star product.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
You don't really feel the weight of the Kirby with the drive system engaged. Pain in the botty changing to the tools and suchlike though.
Yeah, the drive system on the Kirby kicks ass. (We have one at work.) My house is two stories though, and I would curse and swear every time I had to go up or down.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 02:57 AM

I went with the Consumer Reports recommended Eureka Smart Vac. Really great vacuum!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 04:47 AM

Sounds like the mac.
Actually, my MDD sounds like a vacuum cleaner…

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I LOVE my Dyson, and have loved it for several years. It really does maintain suction even when horribly overloaded, and I've probably managed to pay for it in vacuum bags I haven't had to buy. I have a number of friends and relatives who have bought the Dyson (mostly the Animal model) on my recommendation and they love it too. Dysons come with two major filters, one is washable and the other is a lifetime HEPA filter on the final exhaust. Dysons are certified "asthma friendly" by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Oh, and just about every other vacuum maker has "suddenly" adopted a "vortex" design in the last couple of years.
that's the major points why I got a dyson… I also have a polti -italian- which is like a tank, you couldn't believe how heavy is it… it's insane, its working operation relies on a wakter tank, which 'sucks' cause every time you use it you have to clean it… more than you clean your home… only positive side is that it comes with some fragrances -expensive as hell- so your home gets a nice smell… but truth be told my polti is 'getting dust' since I don't use it any longer…

Anyway, would I get a dyson again?, maybe, I am asthmatic, have two dogs and one cat… and I am also allergic to dog and cat's fur… but I think they are kind of expensive… if you want analogies with the Mac, just remember how freaking expensive was a 9600 some years ago…

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 07:27 AM

I swear by my Kirby. It is a tank and has after 15 years 100% sucking power. (carrying it between levels isn't for anyone's granny though )

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Yeah, the drive system on the Kirby kicks ass. (We have one at work.) My house is two stories though, and I would curse and swear every time I had to go up or down.
Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
I swear by my Kirby. (carrying it between levels isn't for anyone's granny though )
Heh. I don't know about elsewhere, but here they're sold through home-visit reps. After a few years of owning one the rep phoned and asked if I'd like to see the upgraded model, so I said "what the hey". After the usual presentation, he was so desperate to sell me a new model (and get the commission) that he let me have an "upgrade" for pretty much the price of a Dyson. I was supposed to send the old one back for refurb, but he let me keep it. Ta da! One for upstairs, one for downstairs.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I've had my Dyson for... wow... 8 years now. Still sucks like new and worth every cent IMO. I'd bet 9/10 Dyson owners agree with me too.
I have a hand me down Hoover that is over 20 years old and works great. Changed the belt once because I sucked up a string and tangled it, but that's it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 24, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
The real problem with Kirbys (at least around here) is their sales model. The door-to-door concept is not something I want to deal with, especially if I'm spending over $1000 on a product that promises lifetime support from the manufacturer. I want a solid store I can march into if I have problems. I don't get a nice, warm feeling from some guy in a not-so-nice jacket trying to sell me something expensive, ya know?

Looking back, my Dyson has been at least as robust as any other three vacuums I've ever owned. After (I checked) almost five years of service, the only thing that's happened to it has been the wand end of the hose is starting to tear, probably from my overzealously reinserting the want into it when putting it away. It is the purple one, by the way, the model called "Animal," because I do have pets, including a German Shepherd, so fur is a constant issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 24, 2007, 01:33 PM

I have the regular DC08 for now 5 years? Worth every penny. However I must say the later cheaper versions of the DC08 were in fact cheaper built; the sucking hose collapes/squizes easily when manoeuvering...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 01:49 PM

I used to sell Kirbys door-to-door. If you already own one, you get a new one for half price, but some sales people neglect to point that out in hopes of ripping you off and getting a bigger commission.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 01:58 PM

i still have my grandma's Kirby. mom had, then gave it to me when i moved out of the house. built in '47 i believe. only service on it was for a new belt 15 years or so ago; and that i did myself. it is now my 'shop vac' in the house; for use after construction projects and the hose attachment for cleaning duct work.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 01:59 PM

Wow, I never knew there were $1000 vacuum cleaners

Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 02:03 PM

My Dyson sucks and blows.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 06:14 PM

Dysons are well designed but shoddiley bult. Ours was a constant disaster. The local electrical repair shop loves them though. They practiclaly bought him a new house. Peep into his back room and it's like a Dyson farm!!!

Anyone remember the short lived, slow selling washing machine?

On the plus side, becasue we live near the factory (not the new malaysian one) a friend of ours hasn't had to vacuum her house for about 10 years. A man from Dyson comes round once a week and cleans it top to bottom with various dyson's. They collect teh dust etc for testing.

sweet.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2007, 08:56 PM

We're on our 3rd Dyson, a DC14. Refurbed from eBay so half the cost that they sell for on the market at the moment.
First DC02, is still in the garage and has to be 10 years old by now, we stopped using it because it wasn't good on the cat hair. We got a DC01 for free, which was better, but hated because the dust bin fell out when you used the holding handle, so that went on eBay.
Couple of weeks ago, an argument ensued about the colour of the carpet, covered in black fur and how it's such a chore to get the carpet clean with our current vacuum cleaner.
Dyson seemed the best one to go for, manages to get fluff in the tank when the carpet looks clean, so it must be doing something right. The design has improved bucket loads over the first model, which isn't a surprise really.

I only managed to block it the other day by clogging it with a long line of toilet roll that the dog chewed up.

If you buy a Dyson and it lasts you for the next 8 years then that's money well spent IMO, you could buy new $100 dollar hoovers every year and pay more than you would have for the Dyson.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 10:02 AM

We've got a Dyson, one of the cylinder models, and it is fantastic. If it is possible to be excited by a vacuum cleaner, then this is the one to do it. The key point isn't that it's bagless as that's pretty common these days. It's that it uses the cyclone design to separate the dirt from the airflow, rather than passing through a filter, so there is nothing to get clogged up. It works just as well when it's full as when it's brand new and clean.
Also, in the UK at least, they all come with a 5 year guarantee, which allows you to phone up and have someone come to your house to fix it if required. I imagine in the US this will probably be reduced to 3 months, and require you to send it back by courier at your expense and pay a "restocking fee", and you'll all be thankful at Dyson's liberal company policy

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 10:25 AM

You should get Henry! henry vacuum - Google Image Search

Don't know if it's available in the states, but most schools, offices etc. in the U.K. him or one of his brothers.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2007, 12:23 PM

Okay, Dyson owners. How about a specific model recommendation? I saw a couple of references to the "Animal"; any others? I prefer the pull along types so the DC21 Stowaway looks pretty good. Not having to change a filter (I had a Bissell "no filter" type but inevitably the sponge filters would clog up and you'd lose power when the HEPA filter would get clogged with dirt and need replacing) is an attractive selling point.

Some reviews on Amazon comment that the hose kinks easily and the unit doesn't roll very well; thoughts?
( Last edited by legacyb4; Nov 25, 2007 at 01:04 PM. )
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2007, 12:41 PM

We have DC14 allergy, purely to stop the nasty dog smells coming back out of it when vacuuming. Also, when it was refurbed, they put some nice smelling stuff in it somewhere, so that's nice.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 03:38 PM

I just bought a new vaccum about a month ago and went through the whole research process. I found some horror stories about the Dysons, mainly when it comes to repair/service. The reliability doesn't seem like it should be for something that expensive, plus the service/repair is very expensive. I read the consumer reports vaccum guide and ended up looking into the Bissel Healthy Home 6100 (same as 5770/5990). It got great reviews everywhere I went and I even read a couple of reviews from ex-Dyson owners that used them right after they vaccumed with their Dyson and the Bissel picked up even more. The best part...it's half the price of a lot of the Dysons.

You can find it for $250 most anywhere. The 5770/5990/6100 are all exactly the same base vaccum with essentially the same attachments and cost the same ($250) pretty much everywhere I found them. The 5990 is at Lowes and comes with an extra bottle of Dust Mite powder, while the 6100 is at Walmart and has a cosmetically different wand and the Microban mini-brush vs. the normal mini-brush on the 5770/5990.

Anyway, it's a great vaccum and I've been extremely happy with mine. The fit and finish are very high quality and it seems to be built like a tank.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

swiz
GUI Punk
Nov 26, 2007, 05:56 PM

I havent read any other responses but I love our Dyson. Best vacuum I've ever owned by FAR

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Forum Links
Forum Rules