Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whither MacNN Forums?

Whither MacNN Forums? (Page 2)
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Maybe MacNN needs to publicize more. Flashy colors, hot babes, cheap merchandise.... whatever it takes.

We need MacNN mugs! And smoking jackets.
Maybe a few product placements on "Big Bang Theory."

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Maybe a few product placements on "Big Bang Theory."
There ya go. We should also use old fashioned methods - like a big billboard on Sunset blvd, or maybe we can get bunch of people to wear those giant signs then have them walk around Times Square whilst handing out MacNN condoms.
( Last edited by osiris; Aug 6, 2011 at 05:37 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2011, 09:18 PM

If you guys want I can pose as a celebrity and answer your questions.

Don't be surprised if Michael Winslow pays MacNN a surprise visit...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2011, 09:48 PM

Will Steve Guttenberg be joining him?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Will Steve Guttenberg be joining him?

If you guys are good, maybe. Maybe Ron Jeremy and Tony Danza too.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Aug 6, 2011, 04:58 AM

Whatever happened to cheerios?
are you lightfooted?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx View Post
Just had a look, regular posts until 2005, then just a few posts in 2006-7, then nothing. Last seen March 2007. I remember cheerios (and juanvaldes - similarly absent since 2006-7), weird that it's that long since they've even been here.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Thorzdad
Aug 6, 2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Maybe MacNN needs to publicize more.
Personally, I think this is something that needs serious consideration. I can't recall ever seeing an ad for MacNN anywhere. There's just not much name recognition for MacNN out there. I could see doing an occasional sponsorship for any of the Mac-centric 5 by 5 podcasts like Hypercritical or The Talkshow. Or sponsoring Gruber's RSS feed of Daring Fireball for a week.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2011, 10:58 AM

Oh please, don't support Gruber.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

facethefacts68
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 04:35 AM

Ha.

I find you guys pretty sad. You basically complain/bitch about anybody who has any sort of memorable personality enough to the point where it is somehow acceptable to harass those people, bait them, and then act surprised and innocent when they then respond. You say they are out of control. You say they need to stop reacting, and settle down. But secretly, you love goading them on and starting fights, but you cannot admit it. Instead, you complain and complain about how they are ruining the place, and report any posts of theirs until the mods/admins ban them.

The lounge was over-moderated to the point where nothing offends anybody anymore. It's now basically a family friendly, G-rated vanilla-flavored destination you can drive your beige automatic camry to, while listening to Kenny G or whatever new band is playing over the speakers at walgreens or target.

This place is dying. And it is a shame, because there was some fantastic discussion here... fantastic. Nothing else I've ever seen on the internet contained so much "thought" and "controversy compared to the lounge in it's heyday. The blame can only be put on the pieces of shit that complain about other people. Have fun watching MacNN die. You people did this by eliminating the personalities here.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 05:02 AM

I guess "that's your story and you're sticking to it", as you have every. Single. Time. You. Return. Over. The. Past. Half. Decade.

Even in the Olden Days, Things were better in the Olden Days.

facethefacts68
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 05:05 AM

Oh I'm not returning, I'll be banned in a few hours. I am just up late due tonight, trying to fall asleep, and checked in this place to find this thread.

And yeah, it is my story, and I am sticking to it. I said for years that this place bans personality... and lo and behold... after years of banning anybody who was REMOTELY offensive at all, this place is dying.

Seems like I'm right. You can tell me I'm wrong when this place has a lot of traffic again with the same amount of moderation. Til then... scoreboard!!!!!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 07:29 AM

^^^Insert the 'arguing on the internet' gif here...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by facethefacts68 View Post
Ha.

I find you guys pretty sad. You basically complain/bitch about anybody who has any sort of memorable personality enough to the point where it is somehow acceptable to harass those people, bait them, and then act surprised and innocent when they then respond.
Yes, this is how you continue to rationalize your inability to interact with others..."personality."

This place is dying. And it is a shame, because there was some fantastic discussion here... fantastic. Nothing else I've ever seen on the internet contained so much "thought" and "controversy compared to the lounge in it's heyday. The blame can only be put on the pieces of shit that complain about other people. Have fun watching MacNN die. You people did this by eliminating the personalities here.
You've been bitching about how much this place sucks since 2001.

Hi. Haven't been here in a while.

Going to keep it that way. Why'd I leave? The car topic. It pushed me over the edge. Over half of you are lefties, which is reason enough to not wanna hang around. The others are tree huggers. And lastly, many of you stated your favorite car was a 69 Camaro or a 66 mustang.

You people are horrible. You are unoriginal, media controlled, and most importantly, STUPID AND BORING. You cannot stand to see someone triumph, you don't enjoy being thought of as different, you just ...ack. I can't even begin to explain it. Whenever anything possibly great COULD happen, you people will question it, ridicule it, and generally have a negative attitude and hope that it dies.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 10:45 AM

Rob: I kind of doubt that the huge difference between activity back then and now consisted of people who came here because they were looking for the latest epic internet battle. Not everybody has a thirst for conflict, peck!

freudling
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 12:03 PM

This is what's wrong with this place. I posted a thread called "Why Does Software Suck"

After 2 pages it's turned into a pissing match. Here's the last post:

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And as evidence, you pointed out how someone wasn't posting from their iPad.

I don't disagree with your premise, I'm only saying this particular piece of supporting evidence is (for our purposes) false.
All this dogmatic, pontificating. It's absurd. Discussions quickly turn to piss mush. But none of you are going to stop are you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
This is what's wrong with this place. I posted a thread called "Why Does Software Suck"

After 2 pages it's turned into a pissing match. Here's the last post:

All this dogmatic, pontificating. It's absurd. Discussions quickly turn to piss mush. But none of you are going to stop are you?

Bickering is indeed a common problem here on MacNN, I would say more than the individual personalities, but on the other hand all we have to go on here is words, so the poster does have some responsibility to say what they mean with some accuracy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 8, 2011, 01:23 PM

My favorite part is where you frame this as being a problem that everyone else has.

freudling
Banned
Aug 8, 2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My favorite part is where you frame this as being a problem that everyone else has.
No I do not. Do you like my italics? And here we go...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2011, 02:29 PM

And here we go where?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 02:38 PM

No I do not. Do you like my italics? And here we go...
If you're gonna start pissing, be prepared to have people call it urine.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If you're gonna start pissing, be prepared to have people call it urine.
Why wouldn't they call it piss?

Does this event occur at a biochemistry party in Germany?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 03:16 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't overanalyze the health of the message board I frequent? If I find an interesting thread I read it, if I have something to contribute I post, but for the most part I don't really get in any fights and I still enjoy coming here and learn a lot from everyone else.

Who cares if page visits are down eleventy billion % compared to the good old days?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't overanalyze the health of the message board I frequent? If I find an interesting thread I read it, if I have something to contribute I post, but for the most part I don't really get in any fights and I still enjoy coming here and learn a lot from everyone else.

Who cares if page visits are down eleventy billion % compared to the good old days?
Damn it, being "addicted to MacNN" used to mean something.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 04:42 PM

She got a job, got married, moved states, and moved on in the internet community world.

I got hired @ The Omni Group in 2005, and for the most part dropped off so that I didn't have to think too hard about whether I was messing up some NDA or anything, plus the move to a new state, new job, whatnot.

Juan & I got married in 2007 (oh god I hope I got this right!), we're kidless and living happily in Seattle. Just bought a house & everything!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2011, 04:55 PM

Holy shit.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 05:56 PM

Welcome back and congratulations.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cheerios View Post
Juan & I got married in 2007 (oh god I hope I got this right!), we're kidless and living happily in Seattle. Just bought a house & everything!
I didn't get an invite, so the marriage isn't legitimate.

Just so you know.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2011, 06:59 PM

LOL, there was TOTALLY a list of people we should've invited, and it read:

1. Face Ache
2. Anyone other than our 2 witnesses
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

gethigh
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2011, 11:27 AM

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 01:03 PM

I enjoy lurking mysteriously and all, but I'm not sure what to make of someone being registered for almost 9 years and suddenly coming out of the woodwork with an online dick hierarchy flow chart.

I do enjoy a good sandwich though...
are you lightfooted?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 01:11 PM

I'm still getting around the fact that I've been a member of this forum for almost 9 years. When I first joined, you could get a candy bar for a nickel.

A nickel!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2011, 01:15 PM

I enjoy lurking mysteriously and all, but I'm not sure what to make of someone being registered for almost 9 years and suddenly coming out of the woodwork with an online dick hierarchy flow chart.

I do enjoy a good sandwich though...
Sandwiches are great! Though it seems SH has found his alt. (looks at gethigh's post)

hart
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 05:08 PM

What this place lacks is ponies

But seriously folks, maybe we ARE lacking young people. Too many curmudgeons being curmudgeonly. Sure a bunch of obnoxious know-it-all kids could be a pain but some of them would surely have something to contribute.

I just directed some nice young person over here for help this morning. A girl even. Perhaps "threw her to the wolves" would be a better description. Please be nice to the noobs.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 05:12 PM

That's where you are wrong, friend.

Thorzdad
Aug 9, 2011, 05:24 PM

Young people? You mean those whipper-snappers on the Facebook? Bah.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
I just directed some nice young person over here for help this morning. A girl even. Perhaps "threw her to the wolves" would be a better description. Please be nice to the noobs.
As long as she's not MacGeek or a Twilight fan, she should be fine.

hart
Senior User
Aug 9, 2011, 07:55 PM

Kids these days with their facebook and their loud music >|

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I'm still getting around the fact that I've been a member of this forum for almost 9 years. When I first joined, you could get a candy bar for a nickel.

A nickel!
I remember those days! With a dollar in my pocket I'd take the trolley down to the five & dime to buy typewriter ribbons and white-out, sometimes I'd buy myself a cherry soda, a Clark bar, and a pack of Pall Malls. Then I'd go home - with change in my pocket.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2011, 08:10 AM

When I joined, I could smoke in the bank, while talking to the teller - who would just hand me an ashtray.

Then the fascists came.

dav
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2011, 09:20 AM

welcome to the macnn retirement home
one post closer to five stars

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2011, 12:32 AM

I can't believe it's been nearly 10 years I've been here either, but I think the biggest proof this place is "dying" is lack of fresh meat (er, new members). Just look at the join dates in most threads, >70% of them are from 2004 or earlier.

freudling
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I can't believe it's been nearly 10 years I've been here either, but I think the biggest proof this place is "dying" is lack of fresh meat (er, new members). Just look at the join dates in most threads, >70% of them are from 2004 or earlier.
Yup. And when you read the threads you can really see... it's like a bunch of aging tech nerds fading away...

Sorry, it's sad and true. The discussions that spur up on most threads become absurd. Who would want to jump into that? Nobody.

But here I am... I get the odd bit of good advice here.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 02:28 AM

So why isn't MacNN doing what Macrumors does by putting front page articles directly into the forum for comments?

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 02:31 AM

Because the MacNN main site went hella-lame.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

freudling
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 03:14 AM

I wonder what MacNN's revenues are annually?

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 03:49 AM

Tighter integration of the news stories into these forums would provide a huge boost. Reverting the main page back to legacy main page would be huge as the current main page is extremely confusing and very poorly designed.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Tighter integration of the news stories into these forums would provide a huge boost. Reverting the main page back to legacy main page would be huge as the current main page is extremely confusing and very poorly designed.

What is confusing about it, and what makes it poorly designed to you?

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What is confusing about it, and what makes it poorly designed to you?
It's information overload. There's tons of stuff going on in multiple columns, while the news section is almost secondary to the page. Compare to the legacy page (which I exclusively use) that is a lot cleaner and makes the news obvious and prominent.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
It's information overload. There's tons of stuff going on in multiple columns, while the news section is almost secondary to the page. Compare to the legacy page (which I exclusively use) that is a lot cleaner and makes the news obvious and prominent.

I can agree with that. I was also thinking you were going to say something about the Electronista integration.

Tags
funeral march , nostalgia

Forum Links
Forum Rules