Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I don't understand the EnergySaver pref pane

I don't understand the EnergySaver pref pane
chromos
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2002, 04:36 AM

Hello,

I feel really dumb posting this, but the EnergySaver pref pane just doesn't seem very intuitive to me. I'm clicking on tabs and toggling widgets and I haven't found a clear pattern to what it's doing (or should do)!!

Some background... this is what I'm expecting given the interface:
1) I am given 5 read-only configurations (Auto, Highest, Longest, DVD, Presentations).
2) I can select any of these and see the Apple-recommended settings for the setting.
3) Once I change a widget to something other than an Apple-recommended setting, the top-level setting should change to Custom.
4) I can continue to click through the settings, but when I come back to Custom, it should bring back the last known configuration.
5) The Auto configuration should have the Highest Proc Performance on AC power and Reduced Performance on battery power.

Here's what I see (while the Options tab is selected):
1) the proc performance is Highest while on battery power under Automatic.
2) clicking on widgets while in any of the top 5 settings does not change the setting to Custom.
3) I can click on Custom, set the proc performance to Reduced on battery power, select Automatic (which changes it to Highest), then go back to Custom, and it remains on Highest.

ARgghhh!!! The odd thing is, is if I log in as a brand new user, I get the expected behavior for a little bit, until I click too many widgets, and then the funky behavior occurs.

Can anyone tell me how this pref pane is supposed to work, and where I can find the plist so I can get back to a usable behavior?

thx!!

[Edit: Mod, I put this in the PowerBook forum b/c I thought that the readers here would have the most experience with this topic].

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 05:45 AM

If your running 10.2, open Disk Utility, and fix premissions, make sure system prefs is closed before then

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2002, 04:01 PM

Hey Chromos, I hear you. I'm new to the PowerBook and I noticed the Energy Saver's funkiness too. I just gave up on it and learnt to live with it. For another unrelated reason I've re-installed OS X twice and repaired permissions and the same thing occurs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules