Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > bad pixels on 17"er

bad pixels on 17"er
vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 09:13 PM

oye! so i just noticed a RED stuck pixel on my 17" PB screen (revB). also, i have a very faint white spot that is visible w/ the Pixel Check app set to 'white' ...

1> anything i can do to 'massage' out the red pixel?

2> will applecare cover this?

nate_02
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by vancenase:
oye! so i just noticed a RED stuck pixel on my 17" PB screen (revB). also, i have a very faint white spot that is visible w/ the Pixel Check app set to 'white' ...

1> anything i can do to 'massage' out the red pixel?

2> will applecare cover this?
Just try gently rubbing the pixel to see if it goes back to normal. They usually don't.

You have to have more than 4 dead or stuck pixels before they will replace your screen. If your white spot is more than one pixel, they might replace it.
-nate

vancenase  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by nate_02:
Just try gently rubbing the pixel to see if it goes back to normal. They usually don't.

You have to have more than 4 dead or stuck pixels before they will replace your screen. If your white spot is more than one pixel, they might replace it.
wow. either it was a 'one time' stuckness, or i rubbed it out (temporarily, at least). the white spot is not really noticeable -- only if you look at it from an unnatural angle.

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by vancenase:
wow. either it was a 'one time' stuckness, or i rubbed it out (temporarily, at least). the white spot is not really noticeable -- only if you look at it from an unnatural angle.
Is your white spot in the lower left corner? I just started noticing something "whiter" there, and when I move further away from the screen, it becomes really noticeable. Also, how can a white spot only be one pixel? Aren't they inherently a large area (hence calling it a spot)? Also, does my AppleCare I purchased cover this white spot?
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

vancenase  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 05:13 PM

nope, my white spot is pretty much in the dead middle, but a bit up from the middle

it's damn annoying when working with light grey or white documents, but just about unnoticable with dark backgrounds ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules