Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just a FYI on Crucial 1 GB modules

Just a FYI on Crucial 1 GB modules
JCT
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2004, 11:05 AM

Since I've been helped so many times on this forum I figured I would take the opportunity to "give back" a little.

I just got off the phone with Tech Support at Crucial.com . I have tried 2 of their 1 GB modules in my 1Ghz 12" PB (new) without success. One let to machine instability, the other gave constant kernel panics (never made it to the desktop on boot). I knew it wasn't the memory slot itself because the machine runs perfectly with a Crucial 512 MB chip in place.

According to tech support, they have now confirmed that there are "issues" with these modules and the 12" PB and immediately issued me a refund. They did say that they would be looking into it, so I may try again in a few months. I was willing to try with 1 more module but they felt that the chances of getting one that worked with my PB were not good at this time.

FYI.

By the way, I love the Powerbook itself ...stable as a rock with a 512 MB chip in it.

regards,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by JCT:
Since I've been helped so many times on this forum I figured I would take the opportunity to "give back" a little.

I just got off the phone with Tech Support at Crucial.com . I have tried 2 of their 1 GB modules in my 1Ghz 12" PB (new) without success. One let to machine instability, the other gave constant kernel panics (never made it to the desktop on boot). I knew it wasn't the memory slot itself because the machine runs perfectly with a Crucial 512 MB chip in place.

According to tech support, they have now confirmed that there are "issues" with these modules and the 12" PB and immediately issued me a refund. They did say that they would be looking into it, so I may try again in a few months. I was willing to try with 1 more module but they felt that the chances of getting one that worked with my PB were not good at this time.

FYI.

By the way, I love the Powerbook itself ...stable as a rock with a 512 MB chip in it.

regards,

JT
Cool thanks for the heads up. Let us know if you get another 1Gb chip in the future and how it works out.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 11:22 PM

I want to confirm the poster's problem. I, too, have tried Crucial 1GB stick on my 15" 1.25Ghz Al-Book without success, the result is random lockup and kernal panic. For now, the safest bet on 1GB stick is the following: I have been using 2, so far, they ROCKS!

http://memoryx.net/apl200e1024.html

If you are in the bay area, just go by their store, they are really nice people. =D

JCT  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2004, 11:58 PM

Hey belldandy, thanks for the lead, I had heard that Apple used Samsung chips ... but I just couldn't justify the high price direct from Apple.

I may just have to check this out....

regards,

JT

P.S. I only wish I was still in the bay area (went to school out there many years ago....)

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 09:55 AM

According to that site at http://memoryx.net/apl200e1024.html, that is the module that Apple sell, so I'd say you'd be safe with that one.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 10:04 AM

--> problems on a RevB 17" = kernal panic about (well, at least) 50% of of the time (only restarted 6 or so times so far). i've only had the stick 3-4 days, so i probably have not experienced all there is, but i think i've had enough!

will crucial give a full refund?

anyone have any experience with tranintl's 1GB chips (for 17" RevB or something that takes similar memory)?

JCT  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2004, 10:17 AM

vancenase,

Sounds exactly like my experience. Crucial offered me a full refund no questions asked.

Probably the easiest thing is to talk to tech support first, give them your order number and after they hear about your experience they will switch you to customer service for an RMA return.

As a matter of fact they discouraged me from trying again.

I haven't heard anything about the tranintl 1GB chips, but the site that belldandy mentioned above seems the way to go, and for the same price as crucial.

Good luck,

JT

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 01:15 PM

Ring up Crucial customer service and tell them what you are experiencing. When they ask you what u want to do, just tell them you want a full refund. You will have to mail in the ram with some sort of trackable service. I suggest insurance on the ram while u at it, just to be on the safe side. I mailed my ram by US Priority Mail, with delivery confirmation and insurance all for $11.50. As I posted earlier, the memoryx.net samsung 1GB sticks are great. I am using 2 right now. Did I mention 2GB of ram is sweet? =D

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 01:23 PM

belldandy (and all)-

thanks for the replies! just to clarify (belldandy) ....

- how long have you been using the new samsung 1GB chips from memoryx?
- you experienced the same problems as JCT and I with Crucial chips? but not memoryx chips?

i'll probably contact them on monday. upgrading from 512MB to 1.5GB has SURE helped out (when i can get the PB booted, i do not seem to have memory problems, it's just on boot i see the problems -- i even ran the memory checking protocol using TechTool, provided w/ AppleCare, and no errors ..)

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 03:29 PM

I have been using the memoryx.net samsung chips since 2 weeks ago. Have been running Elite Force II every night, xcoding during the day, sleep the pb as I transport it from home to work. No problem so far. Before using memeoryx's memory, I have used Crucial 1GB stick for 2 days, I have 1 in 6 chance getting through the login window, once I login, it's okay for a long time, but as soon as I deep sleep the machine, and wake it back up. Zinch.... My pb will not wake unless a force restart with the power button....(MY BELOVED PB.....=( )

So, I went to memoryx.net front store and purchased 2 sticks of samsung 1GB sticks. The guy who signed off the paper even promised me a full refund if I have any trouble with the samsung chips. As soon as I pop off the memory cover, and replaced the funky crucial memory with the samsung chips. No loing problem. Time to run through Elite Force 2 to shoot some aliens, smooth as silk. No Kernal Panic, Ma!

So, I am very happy with my memoryx.net purchase. One plus for me is that I live in the bay area, so its my convinent for me to go into the store and buy memory and be sure that I can return it with no hassle. =D

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I'm shopping for two 512MB PC2700 sticks for my Powerbook right now....

Anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with Kingmax memory? Newegg seems to have a rather good deal on them, but I'm a bit wary with some of the RAM horror stories I've heard before I dive in.

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 07:32 PM

Just so happen my friend bought in a stick for his thinkpad T41 (please don't ask me why he bought the thinkpad.... it's already hard enough to sit in a meeting with 8 people using a thinkpad T40/T41/X31....)

I borrow it and put it into my pb, guess what?

Kernal Panic. ^_^".....

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 11:37 AM

not sure if anyone noticed, but crucial is no longer selling the 1GB DDR PC2700 RAM module ... oye!

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 12:57 PM

Very helpful, thanks. Just to be crystal clear, are you saying that you bought a 512mb stick from Crucial and that it's working fine in your 12" revB PB? Because I just ordered one this afternoon...

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2004, 01:55 PM

i bought a 1GB stick and it did not work for a revB 17"

JCT  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2004, 04:09 PM

Mintcake,

I was the one who bought the 512 MB from Crucial. This chip was originally purchased for my lab's G4 iBook, I popped it into the PB to see whether the RAM slot was malfunctioning. It worked fine.

I now have another 512 MB Ram chip (specifically for the 12" PB G4) that was just delivered and I will install it tonight.

I'll post back my results on the board, but it should work OK. I think the problems are with the 1 GB chips.

I'll let you know.

Yeah vancenase, I noticed they pulled the PC2700 piece, they should also pull the PC2100 . They were very honest with me about the problems.

It's the old saying about being on the "cutting edge" of technology ...sometime you get a little bloody.

JT

Forum Links
Forum Rules