Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will you void AppleCare if you install a new HD?

Will you void AppleCare if you install a new HD?
vickster
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 05:20 PM

Topic says it all, I've got a 60GB I want to drop in my TiBook 667, but not itching to if it means I void my AppleCare. What's the deal?

vickster

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 05:31 PM

I wouldn't think this would void your warranty, but the best way to be sure is to call Apple or your local Apple store.

-b

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 07:16 PM

I daresay you won't get a straight answer either from an Apple Store genius or from applecare itself. When I asked an Apple Genius, all he would say is "Apple won't support that." As to what that means, whether Applecare would be voided, he wouldn't say. That statement is probably what they've been briefed to say but it basically could mean just about anything.

You'd be better off paying an Apple Service Provider (ASP) to install it. It will be on the official service record, and Apple won't be able to deny coverage of other components. With the present repair record of 15" Rev A AlPBs, you really, really, really don't want to even give a suspicion of voiding Applecare.

Some people have felt their tech skills were refined enough to leave no trace of any modifications, but that's pretty debatable. You'd have to invisibly replace the original HD before sending it in for Applecare, and you'd have opened and closed the laptop twice.

Personally, I'd get an external fw800 case and put the drive in that. Look at these performance results:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard34.html

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2004, 02:42 AM

Changing the drive does not void the warranty, unless damages were a result of the hard drive change.

When you need to send the unit in for repair, Apple may require you to put in the original items such as memory, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, etc. before you send it to Austin.

I have often sent in PowerBooks WITHOUT THE HARD DRIVES. After all, structual defects such as hinges and titanium foils have nothing to do with the hard drive. Apple understands that data security is important, which is the reason for Apple's clear instruction on how to replace the hard drive in the titanium.

The Aluminum? It's designed to be hard to crack just like the iBooks... well, almost.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Paul Huang:
I have often sent in PowerBooks WITHOUT THE HARD DRIVES. After all, structual defects such as hinges and titanium foils have nothing to do with the hard drive. Apple understands that data security is important, which is the reason for Apple's clear instruction on how to replace the hard drive in the titanium.

The Aluminum? It's designed to be hard to crack just like the iBooks... well, almost.
so ... where's apple's instructions for replacing the HD for the ALbooks?

ghotirking
Feb 14, 2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by vancenase:
so ... where's apple's instructions for replacing the HD for the ALbooks?
Did a search in Apple's knowledge base and it looks like the HD is NOT considered a 'user-replaceable' part. The db has PDFs instructing how to install keyboards and memory, but not HDs.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

Forum Links
Forum Rules