Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screenshot issues....

Screenshot issues....
Numenor
Feb 13, 2004, 01:21 AM

I'd like to be able to have the default screenshot be a .jpg file. Currently w/e I do one it comes out as a .pdf file. Is there any way to change this?

*using 10.3.2*
Mac OSX is like Windows XP... only good.
My Computer: OS 10.3.4, G4 733, 896 MB RAM, 152GB on two HDs

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2004, 01:26 AM

No.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Numenor  (op)
Feb 13, 2004, 01:28 AM

Damn... any particular reason why Apple decided to switch to this in OSX?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2004, 02:17 AM

not sure why it is .pdf. but it's no big deal.

take your screenshot, the .pdf appears on your desktop, double click it, preview opens it (as long as you have preview associated), then in preview file > export, and export it as a .jpg

done

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2004, 02:31 AM

PDF is used because that is what the imaging model for OS X is based on.
Vandelay Industries

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 09:04 AM

Kunvert 1.5.1

Put this little jewel in your Dock and call it a day...

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2004, 10:28 AM

Alternately, you may wish to try SnapNDrag. This highly rated freeware actually saves the screen/window/selected shot in JPG, TIFF, or PNG, so that PDF conversion is unnecessary. Also, it has a built-in timer so that you can get shots of drop down windows, alerts, dialogs, etc. http://www.yellowmug.com/snapndrag/
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Lew
Senior User
Feb 13, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Numenor:
Damn... any particular reason why Apple decided to switch to this in OSX?
Probably because it used to take waaaaaay too long to render a screenshot before they switched the format to PDF. It used to be "Hit key combo… wait… wait… beachball… wait… screenshot appears on desktop" which used to really annoy me. I have no problem with screenshots being in PDF format, especially as it's easy enough to change them with Preview.app afterwards.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
Alternately, you may wish to try SnapNDrag. This highly rated freeware actually saves the screen/window/selected shot in JPG, TIFF, or PNG, so that PDF conversion is unnecessary. Also, it has a built-in timer so that you can get shots of drop down windows, alerts, dialogs, etc. http://www.yellowmug.com/snapndrag/
Not bad, not bad...thanks for pointing that out; however, it should be known that while this is free, it does have "Registered only" features if you don't want them watermarked...

Numenor  (op)
Feb 13, 2004, 11:28 PM

Actually... it's even easier. I found out that the Grab app. let's you select the type of file you save as. Thanks for your help though.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by Numenor:
Actually... it's even easier. I found out that the Grab app. let's you select the type of file you save as. Thanks for your help though.
Huh? I don't think so...you'll need Preview.app to make the format change for you as Grab.app only takes pictures in a .tiff format....

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Feb 15, 2004, 05:57 AM

Snapz Pro X 2.0 lets you save screenshots in any format you want, including .jpg, with a live preview of what it'll look like, and hundreds of other nice features. Not free of course, but some people feel it's worth the price of admission:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Can grab a free demo that works for a few weeks without any restrictions at all, to see if it's right for you.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

dole
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2004, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Not bad, not bad...thanks for pointing that out; however, it should be known that while this is free, it does have "Registered only" features if you don't want them watermarked...
Where do you see it says the pictures have a watermark with the unregistered version? The only thing I see which is different is the ability to scale the pictures with the registered version.

Screenshot with unregistered version of of SnapNDrag

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by dole:
The only thing I see which is different is the ability to scale the pictures with the registered version.
That's what I am talking about...it says/shows the warning when you choose to scale the image to a different size...

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
I have no problem with screenshots being in PDF format, especially as it's easy enough to change them with Preview.app afterwards.
exactly ... steps:

1. command-shift-3 to take snapshot (or use command-shift-4)
2. pull up in preview
3. crop to your liking
4. file -> export -> jpeg

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by vancenase:
exactly ... steps:

2. pull up in preview
3. crop to your liking
4. file -> export -> jpeg
Why do cropping in preview?
command-shift-4 does a snapshot of a selected area.
this is a bout 1000% better than on Windows, when there is only the option of pressing the Print Screen key where it just dumps a grab of the entire screen to the clipboard, leaving you to worry about what to do next.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2004, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
i put command-shift-4 as an option ...

Originally posted by vancenase:
... and i said 'crop to your liking', which could be none ... there are probably 10 ways to getting to the same endpoint (not all being efficient) ... but, in general, the reasons for showing this:

1. first and foremost, because they might want to crop it (whether it be an entire screenshot or just a 'selection') ... (ex: one accidentally included too much screen in the cmd-shift-4 selection)
2. they have a snapshot of an entire screen (or any picture or PDF) and want to edit it
3. it highlights a feature that is quite useful in Preview

alternatively, you can copy and paste into a new document (select region, copy, file-> new from clipboard) ... Preview rocks!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
command-shift-4 does a snapshot of a selected area.
this is a bout 1000% better than on Windows, when there is only the option of pressing the Print Screen key where it just dumps a grab of the entire screen to the clipboard, leaving you to worry about what to do next.
Actually in Windows if you do ALT - Print Screen it only does a grab of the selected window. Just an FYI.

OAW

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Snapz Pro X 2.0 lets you save screenshots in any format you want, including .jpg, with a live preview of what it'll look like, and hundreds of other nice features. Not free of course, but some people feel it's worth the price of admission:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Can grab a free demo that works for a few weeks without any restrictions at all, to see if it's right for you.
Anyone would think you worked for the company or something.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 06:16 PM

Pictures in PDF format are just plain silly because they're nowhere used, be it the imaging model OS X is based on or not (maybe a selectable screenshot format will be one of the some hundred new features of 10.4) .

However, who is in desperate need can attach a folder action to the desktop folder that calls some utility for each incoming PDF file and converts it to something usable.

-

Forum Links
Forum Rules