Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yikes! Scary thing just happened

Yikes! Scary thing just happened
mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 09:22 AM

So I put my revB 12" to sleep by closing the lid as per usual, and go out to wash the car. I come back an hour or so later, pick up the powerbook, it's BLAZING hot and the sleep light has gone off. I open it up, it's totally unresponsive. I leave it for ten minutes, then I can hear the fan (on low speed, though the PB is still hotter than I ever remember it being). The Caps Lock light comes on. There's some life in there. I hold the power button down, everything goes off. Good. I wait a minute or two, then restart. Starts up fine.

But what's this? I launch Safari, it tells me 'OS X has been updated, do you want to update your keychain?' I click for details, says something about 'coreapp' or some such thing having been updated. (Edit - I should add that I have an always-on wifi connection to the internet, my OS X firewall is running but with plenty of ports left open for access by various apps.)

This doesn't sound good. Can anyone tell me what I just experienced, or should I back the hell up and call Apple aftersales?

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 02:18 PM

I can't explain your auto-update "problem" (I'm guessing it could just be Software Update was run while you were away from the computer), but I can explain your first observation.

Sometimes when you put your PB to sleep, it doesn't actually STAY asleep. I had some problems with sleep and my 12" PB, and I tracked it down to a USB device that would wake up the computer from sleep. Open up the lid and it SEEMS unresponsive, but it actually is on (as you noticed, you can turn the Caps Lock light on, and you'll notice that the volume control still makes noise), but the display is all confused. There seems to be a bug where the display isn't properly turned on when the computer wakes up from sleep when the lid is closed. I have a second monitor plugged in, so when this happens I can see everything on the second monitor, and I just have to re-detect the displays in the Displays Preference Pane.

Anyway, you should check if there is a USB device or something else that is forcing the computer to wake from sleep when it shouldn't.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2004, 03:03 PM

Hmm, thanks Phats... That's partly reassuring, though my situation differs in a few key aspects: nothing plugged into any of the USB (or indeed any of the other) ports; and even if software update had been running, it shouldn't have been updating OS X which is fully up-to-date (I only ran software update a couple of days ago). But that display bug does sound like my situation. Wonder why the PB was running so hot though? And that update to the OS has me worried...

Still, everything has been running absolutely fine since (this was a few hours ago now, and I've restarted a couple of times). I've now backed everything up to my Lacie so fingers crossed...

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 03:50 PM

OK, now a similar thing has just happened again...

Again, the PB was asleep, plugged into the mains to recharge. This time, it woke up as per normal, but it had disconnected from my (Airport) network. When I tried to log in, it came up with the following window:

Confirm Application Change

Mac OS X has been updated. Do you want to change all your keychain items to allow the new version access to your keychain?

This change is permanent and affects all keychain items in all your keychains.

Details:

Changed Process: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app

Application: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app

It was also detecting a second network, called 'linksys' (which is the default name given to a network by my router, not the name of my usual network). It could be that someone next door has just created their own wireless network called 'linksys', but I thought it worth mentioning. I could join the network without entering a password.

Anyone know what this is about? I'm a recent switcher so I'm a bit paranoid about strange network connections and stuff being done to my OS without my knowledge...

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2004, 04:34 PM

Maybe you're the recipient of the first ever OS X virus? You could be famous!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

\o/

/books place in history

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2004, 06:00 PM

i actually saw this a few weeks ago a few times ... so, you're not the first ... GET IN LINE!

"...but seriously folks"

i think it has something to do with restarting the system 'improperly' ... i.e. not by choosing shutdown, but perhaps by abruptly shutting down the system ...

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2004, 06:16 PM

Ah, well that would explain the first time... not the second though... Good to know it's not just me, even if it means sacrificing my place in the Virus Hall of Fame.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 12:11 AM

My neighbor has a linysys and if I turn my TIPB the right direction it accesses his network. They too don't password protect & I can access their cable connection.

I always tell my airport not to broadcast name as well use password.

I have not tried to access his local network but probably could if I hacked at it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules