Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook wishlist

PowerBook wishlist
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2004, 03:15 PM

Everyone wants a G5 PowerBook. But there are a number of improvements that could make even G4 PowerBooks much better. This is a thread to find out whether people feel similarly. So here it is my PowerBook GX wishlist:

1. Higher resolution. I have a 15" TiBook and 1280 x 854 is great, but every time I fire up Photoshop I wish the resolution was higher. Also OS X eats up a lot more desktop space (larger widgets etc.) and higher resolution would really benefit. Heh, I almost upgraded to 17" just for more desktop / editing space.

2. A better way to calibrate LCDs. This should be the case for PowerBooks and Apple LCDs. I am having a horrible time getting things calibrated, even with (borrowed) hardware calibration tools.

3. Bus / Memory speed. AlBooks are not much of an improvement over TiBooks because bus speed increased only marginally. I hope G5 PowerBooks have 1Ghz bus like PowerMac G5.

4. Faster HD. 4200 rpm may be good for battery life, but affects performance too much for most users IMHO. I want my 5400 rpm drives with 7200 as an option for PowerBooks with a more sedatary lifetyle like mine.

5. USB ports on both sides. This is especially an issue for left handed people who either get lucky (iBooks) or unlucky (PowerBooks). It is also a great convenience to have a port on each side.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 03:34 PM

1. Detachable bluetooth keyboard and something that would allow the display to be easily raised too - either pulled up, or the bottom casing raised so that the laptop can easily be made into an ergonomic desktop computer. A detachable keyboard would make a great improvement.

2. Ports put on the back of the powerbook again (I can't get used to the new position. Easy to use, but always in the way when I grab the computer, move it on my lap or move it around -wires everywhere.)

3. CD slot on the side so that cds don't hit you when they come out

4. Faster hard drive - 7200/faster bus/faster CPU

5. Better battery life

6. Scroll wheel AND double button mouse! Single button is outdated.

7. Easily upgradeable CPU, HDD - generally more configurable and expandable

I hate do say this, but the much loved pismo is the closest to this Apple has made. Imagine a pismo but thinner, lighter and with the above specs - wow.

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:

1. Higher resolution. I have a 15" TiBook and 1280 x 854 is great, but every time I fire up Photoshop I wish the resolution was higher. Also OS X eats up a lot more desktop space (larger widgets etc.) and higher resolution would really benefit. Heh, I almost upgraded to 17" just for more desktop / editing space.

4. Faster HD. 4200 rpm may be good for battery life, but affects performance too much for most users IMHO. I want my 5400 rpm drives with 7200 as an option for PowerBooks with a more sedatary lifetyle like mine.
apple is at least 2 years behind PC makers in getting off their a$$e$ and putting GOOD screens in laptops. the DPI of the 15" powerbook is pathetic! apple doesn't even have an option for a high res screen. An $1100 12" ibook has a higher DPI than a $1999 15" powerbook.

DPI does matter.

the powerbook line shouldn't even have 4200rpm drives as an option, and 7200 should definitely be an option.

again apple is FOLLOWING not leading.

powerbooks are lagging in so many areas, and standard ones like HD speed and screen DPI shoule be unthinkable.

they also need to work on harder issues: bus speed, proc speed, GPU.

hard drive and screen res would help differentiate the ibook/powerbook lines which is something apple needs to do, esp with the 12"

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
... So here it is my PowerBook GX wishlist:

1. Higher resolution. .... Heh, I almost upgraded to 17" just for more desktop / editing space.

5. USB ports on both sides.
re: the points 1 & 5, you should have gone with a 17" !!

a) i love the screen real estate on my 17" (vs. the 15"; a friend has one)

b) the 17" (RevB, at least) has a USB port on each side

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2004, 04:24 PM

I can't imagine going to a higher resolution on my 15" Right now its just about right, any higher, I won't be able to read it.

the 15"al has usb ports on both sides of the computer.

I like the idea about a user replaceable Hard drive.

Mike
~Mike

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 05:20 PM

Its the little touches that give the pb that something extra, like the power LED pulsing and the power cord changing colour when charging or instant sleep/instant wake. The things that are little on the end product but show the level of detail and thought that have gone into the machine. Therefore I want more of the unexpected but useful/cool stuff.

That when looked at, it looks designed and designed to be usable and not just to look good.

We're always going to need faster computers, so that goes without saying. (faster processors, hard disks, optical drives etc.)

Longer battery life, I don't think anyone would say they want a laptop (or anything) with a short battery life.

Better backlit keyboard + option to change backlight colour. Also I prefer the feel of the iBook's keyboard.

Combine backlighting with showing the numeric keypad (won't work in the light, but maybe there is some other way).

Optical drive that ejects out of the side.

I like the ports on the side, it means I don't have to worry about busting something when its on my lap (plus I've got USB both sides).

Being able to swap hard drives/batteries would be nice (the battery bit is kinda covered in that you can go to sleep for a min and swap the battery, and come to think of it, for general use hard disks are so large now, most people wouldn't to change them). Although having the internal hd more user accessible would be useful for upgrading and so on.

I like the ideas about a removable bluetooth keyboard.

I like the current mouse not having a button (as such), but perhaps it could be made to detect different types of taps, or which side the user touches. Its capabilities could be reduced or extended by the user.

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 05:27 PM

13" widescreen replaces the 12".

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2004, 07:27 PM

My wishes:

1. Docking station -- makes since now that the ports are on the sides. I shouldn't have to go to 3rd parties for this!

2. Drive bay for CD/DVD drive that can be swapped for an additional battery

Forum Links
Forum Rules