Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > built-in Bluetooth on the new iBook G4, anyone used it yet?

built-in Bluetooth on the new iBook G4, anyone used it yet?
jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 02:06 PM

Anyone use built-in Bluetooth on the new iBook G4's yet? Can you comment on range and ease of use at all?

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 05:08 PM

On a side note, can you add bluetooth to the ibook later, or is Built-in bluetooth something that has to be done at the factory?

biscool
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 05:11 PM

If has to be added by apple, they aren't selling the internal adapters. But, I bet, if you get an internal adapter somewhere you could install it yourself, but it would be a huge pain...

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2003, 05:42 PM

Using it right now - my iBook is talking to my T616, just waiting for my wife to give me a call to pick me up at work.

The bluetooth module must be built in. You can purchase a USB adapter (i.e. D-link) for aftermarket addition of Bluetooth.

The USB adapters are no harder or easier to use than the built-in Bluetooth. The system sees them the same way - in fact the internal Bluetooth adapter is just on an USB bus.

The biggest drawback to the external adapters are that they:
1) take up a USB port
2) are extremely small and easy to lose ($45 down the drain)

Bluetooth itself is still a little clunky. The behavior when returning to my computer from out of range is not consistent (I wear my phone on my belt). Sometimes I can just press the Bluetooth icon in Address Book and my computer and phone are paired together right away, and sometimes I have to manually re-pair the 2 devices using the Bluetooth Setup Assistant.

I highly recommend Salling Clicker. It can be set up to automatically pair your phone and your computer whenever you come back into Bluetooth range (among other cool things).
Don

Forum Links
Forum Rules