Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > salling clicker, bluetooth and bt-headset

salling clicker, bluetooth and bt-headset
dividend
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 10:33 AM

Ok, for those of you who have BT-phone, BT-headset, BT.mac and salling clicker.

We know that you cannot have the phone connected by BT to the computer AND to the headset at the moment. But i was thinking about a workaround...

is it possbile to make an applescript that does the following:

when there is an incoming call:
1. finds the name of the person who is calling/shows number
2. removes the BT menu from the phone (and quits/stops BT in address book)

-- by this, the phone should be able to use the BT headset

3. after a while, tries to re-connect to the phone (which it should be able to do when the call is finished.

Does anyone know how to write an apple scripts for this? I know nothing about apple script so I will have to try to learn, but anyone who is an appelscript pro who could do this quickly?

thanx

maccarrp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 10:19 PM

bump...

i'm looking for this answer too.

i want to dial my BT phone from address book, then talk on the phone through my BT headset.

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by maccarrp:
i want to dial my BT phone from address book, then talk on the phone through my BT headset.
I've only looked into this briefly, but the best I could do was to have a script that killed the bluetooth connection when the phone entered 'making a call' mode. The problem was that while I could get Salling to close its link, and I could get AddressBook to quit, it was touch'n'go on how long the mac would actually take to terminate the bluetooth link.

This meant that the delay was far too long before the phone was able to link to the headset... and I would have to manually hold down the button on my HBH-35 to get it to pick up audio for the call.

I think the real problem is that normally the BT phones will send out a signal over BT when they start making a call. If you've used the mac to initiate that call then it is almost impossible to kill the link in the millisecond between dialling and the phone sending that signal.

The real solution to the problem lies in an application that doesn't yet exist... something that allows the mac to act as a headset for the phone... and if you have a headset paired with the mac, to allow transparent headset use through to the phone.

Sorry for such a long post, but I've been looking into this lately, and that appears to be the state of things.

dividend  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2004, 07:29 AM

hmmm. great idea... need to take a look at it. perhaps write to salling to see if they can acheive that.

maccarrp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2004, 01:18 PM

i'm not sure if this will help direct anyone, but I read this last night:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...40128071616124

I connect to the internet through Bluetooth and my t68i. But although I can receive calls and text messages during the GPRS connection, it was a pity that I couldn't turn on Address Book functionality. A quick look into BluetoothMonitor from the Developer Tools package (in Applications -> Utilities -> Bluetooth) gave the answer: both default modem and Address Book uses the same channel ID (1), which results in conflict. So, I opened Bluetooth Serial Utility in /Applications -> Utilities, and added a new port. I called it "Bluetooth-Serial-2" or whatever:

Port Direction: Outgoing
Select Device... (your phone name) > Serial Port 2
[yes] Show in Network Preferences
Port Type: Modem

Then I opened Network Preferences and it asked me to add the new port. I made some cosmetic changes -- renamed it to "Bluetooth modem" and disabled the original "USB Bluetooth Modem Adaptor" in "Network Port Configuration." Then I set up the PPP section (remembering to uncheck "Send PPP echo packets" in PPP Options...) to my former values, as well as Bluetooth modem (thanks to these GPRS scripts which works great!)

And now it works, because it uses RFCOMM Channel ID: 5 now. When typing this, I received some SMSes and a phone call and they popped up! I also tried iSync (which uses channel 11) and first I got some error messages. However, I believe it was because I was downloading a large file at the same time as for the second and third tries, everything was okay.

I hope that this helps somebody too. I haven't found any other resources with this problem. I also don't know what are those security (authentication and encryption) options in adding the serial port?
a response on that thread mentions that they still cannot get the BT headset to work after dialing a call from the address book, but i have to think this is on the right path.

what do you think?

can anyone get it to work?

maccarrp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 03:16 AM

bump

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2004, 03:43 AM

bump, very, very interested in this...

Forum Links
Forum Rules