Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Espresso Toys

New Espresso Toys
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 11:50 PM

Ok, those of you who drink DD's coffee or who think that Folgers makes a great cup may stop reading now.

I am an espresso freak (yes, I'm on CoffeeGeek forums) and just coughed up as much money as I was willing to in order to get a Gaggia Espresso and MDF Grinder. I'm really, really happy - kicks the pants off my old Estro Profi... I'm using Intelligensia's Black Cat espresso, which I love, but I will likely go over to Terroir's (George Howell's) Daterra when I run out of Black Cat.

*does a little happy dance*

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 11:53 PM

I heard of this Senseo contest, where if you take a picture of you and your machine doing something odd (other than making coffee) and send it in to the company, then they send you a free machine. no catch.

Im not sure if Senseo is espresso though...

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 11:58 PM

Not even close; its a pod-based system that wants to be espresso in a few years.

In actual fact, it sucks. I've tried it and subsequently chewed their rep for it.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 12:01 AM

ok then. im not a coffee guy either way. I stick to my 40 ouncers for a little pick me up

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 12:02 AM

Oy. I'll stick to my 1.5-2.5 oz shots of espresso then...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 12:54 AM

Espresso is way overrated. No bang for the buck. I want caffeine in my coffee dammit!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Espresso is way overrated. No bang for the buck. I want caffeine in my coffee dammit!
Huh? Espresso has a ton of caffeine in it.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 12:58 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Caffeine is leached out of grounds in the brewing process. The longer the water is in the grounds, the more caffeine in the drink. Espresso is "brewed" by forcing compressed steam through finely ground beans. It's makes for a very rich flavor with relatively little caffeine. It's closer to the caffeine content in a cup of decaf than it is to cup of regularly brewed coffee.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 01:09 AM

Caffeine is leached out of grounds in the brewing process. The longer the water is in the grounds, the more caffeine in the drink. Espresso is "brewed" by forcing compressed steam through finely ground beans. It's makes for a very rich flavor with relatively little caffeine. It's closer to the caffeine content in a cup of decaf than it is to cup of regularly brewed coffee.
Yes, this is true. Properly-brewed espresso actually has less caffeine than black tea per serving (i.e. a single shot vs. a single cup). The typical espresso shot you get at Starbucks is more likely to be over-extracted, though, and will have quite a bit more caffeine (still not as much as a mug of drip, though).

Regardless, what most espresso nuts love is the flavor, not any associated buzz. As far as flavor is concerned, espresso is far from overrated

Paco500
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 01:12 AM

Regardless, what most espresso nuts love is the flavor, not any associated buzz. As far as flavor is concerned, espresso is far from overrated
eeewwwww.

That could just be me though.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 01:16 AM

eeewwwww.

That could just be me though.
It's an acquired taste, like beer and wine. A good shot, a day, for a week or two, could win anyone over. A good shot isn't that easy to come by in America, though, which leads people like DTW, me, and other coffee geeks to our hobbies.

I freshly roast my own blend of beans almost weekly, grind with a high-quality burr machine (consistent size of grinds = consistent extraction of coffee) within minutes of brewing with a good machine. Have only once been to a café in America that even came close to tasting as good, and I paid over 10x the money it would have cost me to make one in my kitchen.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 07:51 AM

Just give me a

some fresh roasted beans.

some filtered water.

Coffee Perfection

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 09:15 AM

Ok, Nicko - I'll happily grant you that french press is a wonderful object (reminds me I need to make some at some point).

In regard to caffeine content, 1 standard espresso has ~60mg while a cup of drip has between 100-120mg.

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 09:17 AM

I freshly roast my own blend of beans almost weekly, grind with a high-quality burr machine (consistent size of grinds = consistent extraction of coffee) within minutes of brewing with a good machine. Have only once been to a café in America that even came close to tasting as good, and I paid over 10x the money it would have cost me to make one in my kitchen.
Agreed!

I'm not currently living somewhere where I can home roast, but I will this summer.

I've only found one espresso that made me happy in my area (everything else looks OK, but tastes like burnt paper) and that was over in Cambridge. $2 for a double.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2006, 01:14 PM

we charge $3.50 for a single espresso at my restaurant.

ice

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
Just give me a

some fresh roasted beans.

some filtered water.

Coffee Perfection
I really enjoy using a Hot Press to make my Starbucks coffee.

I'm not into Expresso. I do think that a person interested is very smart to purchase a good Expresso maker. Might as well enjoy the best.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 02:43 PM

yeah, but that is in a dining establishment... you expect to pay up to $4 for an espresso and I've heard of paying $8 for a capp or latte

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
I'm using Intelligensia's Black Cat espresso
Good stuff!

Admittedly though, I'm lucky enough to have an Intelligensia a 1/2 block away, so I still shoot them the 3.50 for a large cappuccino.

Not as good as in europe, but if the right barista (you know who you are) is making it, very tasty.

All this talk has been tempting me to forego the middleman though. My GF used to work at Starbucks, so she's even said she'll do the prep.

It's the cleaning/maintenence (which would fall to me) that I'm worried about. What does it involve?

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Huh? Espresso has a ton of caffeine in it.

A cup of espresso actually has less caffine than other roasts.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
yeah, but that is in a dining establishment... you expect to pay up to $4 for an espresso and I've heard of paying $8 for a capp or latte
true, just sayin'.

as for me, I've never drank an entire "cup of joe" in my life, but I've slurped down thousands of espressos/cappucinos.

been drinking a bit of cuban coffee lately.. cortalitos(sp?) and such as well. yum.
ice

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2006, 03:59 PM

1 shot of espresso generally has 100mg of caffeine

1 grande coffee from Starbucks generally has 300mg of caffeine

You can decide what bang for buck is

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
true, just sayin'.

as for me, I've never drank an entire "cup of joe" in my life, but I've slurped down thousands of espressos/cappucinos.

been drinking a bit of cuban coffee lately.. cortalitos(sp?) and such as well. yum.
Hell yeah. Café Cubano is where it's really at, I've been drinking that stuff since I was 5. Wonderful flavor and "kick".

My "daily drink" is Pilon Espresso made in an old-school stainless steel Bialetti (it brews on a stove eye). Pure heaven.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2006, 04:55 PM

I can get a good expresso for €0,80 in any bar where I live
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Pither
I can get a good expresso for €0,80 in any bar where I live
Not that I'm not envious of how tasty that is, a single shot of espresso costs about $1.10 around here. Not that expensive. Things get out of control once you start getting into the massive sizes... like I do.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
we charge $3.50 for a single espresso at my restaurant.

Suckers.

I've had some of the worst espresso in my life in some fantastically upscale restaurants. Espresso is almost ALWAYS an afterthought at these establishments, and most of the time no one is trained to properly use the machines they have. I've learned to save coffee for when I get home.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Angelo78
A cup of espresso actually has less caffine than other roasts.
Espresso is not a roast, it's a brew. As mentioned earlier, the extraction of espresso is so fast that most of the caffeine is left in the grinds.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Flame
1 shot of espresso generally has 100mg of caffeine

1 grande coffee from Starbucks generally has 300mg of caffeine

You can decide what bang for buck is
1 shot of espresso should, if properly prepared, have less than 50mg. 1 shot at most places, however, is over-extracted and may be double that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules