Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WPA possible with TiBook?

WPA possible with TiBook?
Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 03:45 PM

My wife uses my old TiBook 500 and I'm wondering if there's any way to run WPA and have the TiBook be able to connect to the network? So far it doesn't seem to be an option but I thought I'd poll the brains of MacNN

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2006, 03:51 PM

I'm certainly no brain, but my 400mhz TiBook connects to my network using WPA without a hitch. Of course, I'm using a PC card for my wireless connection. I'm running 10.3.9 on mine, I don't think it was supported under 10.2.8, but I'm probably wrong about that.

Tom

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 03:57 PM

It is my understanding that WPA is a no-go with 802.11b. Also, 802.11g is a no-go with OS 9. So, you would need to upgrade to a decently recent version of OS X and get an 802.11g card. The onl way I can think of to get around that would be to find a wireless game adapter that supports WPA. Those require no drivers.

tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2006, 05:09 PM

I have a 1Ghz TiBook with an Airport (b only) card and I sometimes connect to an Airport Extreme base station (mixed b/g) with WPA.

This worked on Tiger as well as 10.3.9. Definitely no WPA on OS9.

Go to Applictions/Utilities and do Get Info on the "AirPort Setup Assistant".
What version does it say?

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 07:07 PM

I'm running Panther on it, it's the original airport card so it's b only........maybe I should just try it and see what happens.

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
I have a 1Ghz TiBook with an Airport (b only) card and I sometimes connect to an Airport Extreme base station (mixed b/g) with WPA.

This worked on Tiger as well as 10.3.9. Definitely no WPA on OS9.

Go to Applictions/Utilities and do Get Info on the "AirPort Setup Assistant".
What version does it say?

it says it's version 4.2

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2006, 09:35 PM

In a lot of cases that I've read, the updated AirPort firmware took care of making the AirPort card compatible with WPA. I believe that this is true of the default card in the TiBook. Definitely try it - with the latest AirPort firmware update - and let us know what happens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In a lot of cases that I've read, the updated AirPort firmware took care of making the AirPort card compatible with WPA. I believe that this is true of the default card in the TiBook. Definitely try it - with the latest AirPort firmware update - and let us know what happens.
i'll try it and see what happens

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
i'll try it and see what happens
okay, so i just installed aiport 4.2 firmware and now my airport card no longer works. doh. how do I revert back to the earlier version? I tried just using the installer for the earlier versions and it just tells me I can't because I already have the latest version.

Ack. I should have left well enough alone - my wife needs her computer/internet and i'm in big trouble if I don't fix this.

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Flame View Post
okay, so i just installed aiport 4.2 firmware and now my airport card no longer works. doh. how do I revert back to the earlier version? I tried just using the installer for the earlier versions and it just tells me I can't because I already have the latest version.

Ack. I should have left well enough alone - my wife needs her computer/internet and i'm in big trouble if I don't fix this.
nevermind, fixed it now for WPA

Nr9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 03:25 AM

How did you fix it?

Blue Flame  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nr9 View Post
How did you fix it?
managed to revert the version and reinstall.

then I took out the network cable so it wasn't overriding the Airport which was the problem in the first place

Forum Links
Forum Rules