Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacBook printing over network thru a Mac Mini?

MacBook printing over network thru a Mac Mini?
deej5871
Senior User
Aug 6, 2007, 12:20 AM

Hi all, here's the deal:

I recently bought a Macbook and I already own a Mac Mini. The Mac Mini is connected to a router which has 2 other computers connected to it as well as a printer (an old LaserWriter). The Mac Mini and the Macbook are the only computers in the house with wireless cards so I've been using Internet Sharing on the Mini in order to have the Macbook in the network. The problem is that even though the Macbook is connected wirelessly to the Mini, it can't access the LaserWriter at all so I can't print anything. It can access the internet just fine, and the Mini can access the printer just fine, but I cannot figure out how to get the Macbook to collaborate with the LaserWriter. Is this even possible since the Macbook isn't exactly on the same network as the printer (as it's going through the Mini)?

Cold Warrior
Aug 6, 2007, 11:40 AM

This sounds like a subnet problem created by sharing through the mini.

I don't know how to overcome it, but maybe others would.

Another solution would be to purchase a router with both wired and wireless access, thus putting all your machines on a single subnet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules