Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to fix OS9 from dorky students?!

How to fix OS9 from dorky students?!
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2002, 09:37 AM

Hi!
I want to fix the desktop/programs/printers on our pre-X Macs from the sort of people who tend to bring chaos on every computer.
Any good tools for Admins?

Regards,
PB.

raskol
Banned
Oct 19, 2002, 05:52 PM

The best tool is more copies of OS X!! haha

Can't you just reinstall apps and printers? That is usually the easiest thing to do. You didn't provide enough information on your problem to be very specific. You could enable multipel users and require everyone to have a login.

Cipher13
Oct 20, 2002, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by raskol:
The best tool is more copies of OS X!! haha

Can't you just reinstall apps and printers? That is usually the easiest thing to do. You didn't provide enough information on your problem to be very specific. You could enable multipel users and require everyone to have a login.
That's entirely unrealistic. Are you in a school/student situation?

"Just reinstall" - yeah right.

Make a user for every person? Right. That could be over a thousand people. Even if so, Multiple Users is pathetic under OS9.

However, you're right, we need more info.

If you want a bulletproof system, MacAdmin is what you want to use. I run a school - the system has well over 1000 users. With MacAdmin, a student can log into their own personal account from any system in the school. A system is unusable without logging in. Upon login, the students server-side home is mounted, and restricted system access is granted. It works perfectly. Couldn't be better. We run this with OS9 and OS8.6.

What's your situation?

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 02:19 PM

Thanks people.
Situation is this: A school, about 30-40 Macs (iMacs, G3s, G4s), running 9.1 and 9.2. About 200 people. No real accounts here, because mostly general stuff like surfing, webmailing is done on the Macs. I think about changing this, but the most annoying things are a f*d up desktops, missing printer connections, deleted programmes, etc. I'd like to create an "unalterable" desktop for all.

Regards, PB.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2002, 02:40 AM

You want FoolProof. I have to admit, it's not the more secure of systems (there are ways to easily overcome it), but over 5 years in a school with 700+ users, the app was overcome once. It'll do everything you want; plus, there's a demo available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules