Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What are THE programs to use with OS 9 ?

What are THE programs to use with OS 9 ?
PSST
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2002, 03:13 AM

What are some good programs to get for OS 9, like apps like Taskmenubar, appearance stuff? Anything at all...

I realize that everything is now for OS X, and that development for OS 9 is dead as a doornail, but I'm using an old imac, and don't need OS X.

What I use with OS 9.0.4.

Taskmenubar
Appearance Hopper
Kaleidoscope
Eradicator
Smart Scroll

I just wanted to know. Any do's and dont's with OS 9? Speed tweaks? I could really use anyone's opinions. Especially Cipher? I love OS 9.

Thanks,
S
( Last edited by PSST; Nov 16, 2002 at 03:21 AM. )

elzinat
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 04:56 PM

DefaultFolder -- very useful rework of standard open/save dialogs
FastFontMenu -- makes font menus load waaay faster
FinderPop -- FinderPop is like LaunchBar. once you've used it you'll never want any computer any other way
Popup Navigator -- gives the command-click title of window functionality that the Finder has to all programs. especially beautiful with FinderPop
Power Windows -- cause it's pretty
Program Switcher -- switch between windows and running apps more efficiently
Stuffit MagicMenu/TFI -- 4 major releases later the X version still isn't up to par
HandyMan -- Control Strip launcher. very well done
TerminatorStrip -- I like it cause it gives a hotkey to quit/relaunch the Finder

note: running all this junk will seriously impact your effective uptime

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 08:09 AM

I�m still running OS 8.6 on my PowerBook 1400c/166 but considering to update to either 9.0.4 or 9.1. The Classic Apps I would not want to miss:
  • PopChar Lite: Insert special chars with the click of a button
  • BBEdit 6.1.2 Lite: Best Texteditor there is, followed by
  • TexEdit
  • RamDoubler and SpeedDoubler: Connectix� system tweaks, very effective
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Cipher13
Nov 19, 2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by PSST:
What are some good programs to get for OS 9, like apps like Taskmenubar, appearance stuff? Anything at all...

I realize that everything is now for OS X, and that development for OS 9 is dead as a doornail, but I'm using an old imac, and don't need OS X.

What I use with OS 9.0.4.

Taskmenubar
Appearance Hopper
Kaleidoscope
Eradicator
Smart Scroll

I just wanted to know. Any do's and dont's with OS 9? Speed tweaks? I could really use anyone's opinions. Especially Cipher? I love OS 9.

Thanks,
S
Ahh, to be perfectly honest, I really don't use many apps like that.

For me, everything I wanted (almost everything) came down to just using the Finder the right way.

Learn to love:

�The Control Strip
�The Application Switcher palette - drag the App menu and tear it off. From there, option, command, option-command, and other click combinations on the 'maximise' widget will change its size and shape. For me, a horizontal, small palette with no names is perfect. Command-tab and command-shift-tab make app switching so much easier.
�Pop-up folders - put all your commonly apps as aliases in there. Drag files to it, onto the app, and voila. For a more complete listing, also put your Application folder down there.
�F-Key launching. Configure the keyboard control panel to launch your most used apps, and remember which key is mapped to which app. After a while, you'll find yourself using these for app switching, and command-tab for switching between unlisted apps only.
�BeHierarchic - one of the few shareware apps I find absolutely necessary. Organise the Apple Menu in any way you like, and use it to your advantage.
�The contextual menu. I have plugins to change file type/creator codes on the fly; make files invisible; and a plugin (might come with BeHierarchic?) which allows you to navigate a folder/drive with a simple right click/control click.
�Spring-loaded folders. Unlike the half-assed implementation in OSX, in OS9 these are wonderfully useful, and fast. Especially when used in conjunction with popup folders.
�SimpleBrowser - just... useful
Super ResEdit - best application ever.

Don'ts:
�Kaleidoscope. Speed and stability will take a major hit. Use the Appearance control panels "themes" if you can find them - they work beautifully, but there isn't a great selection of them available.
�Turn sound schemes off. Performance impact.

Do's:
�Turn menu blinking down to 'zero' blinks. I do, anyway. It has a noticeable impact.
�Keep close tabs on your Extensions folder. Don't let it get full of crap you don't need.
�Ditch Sherlock 2 and install the original I hate Sherlock 2. That's just me though.
�Turn off find by content, unless you use it. Delete all its extensions/modules.
�Rebuild the desktop files every so often. No need to reboot. Force quit the Finder and hold command-option as it reloads.

I'm on an OSX machine at the moment, and can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'll post back with more if I think of it

jasonyates
Nov 19, 2002, 07:02 PM

So now that you guys have all these doo-dads installed, do you actually do anything productive with the computer? I know some people will think I'm strange for this, but I just have a very minimal install of System 7.5.5 on my 8500. I've gotten very used to the interface in the last 10 years or so, so the little convenience apps would probably just throw me off.

There are some compatibility issues with some new software, but I am able to do all the system maintenance stuff; ResEdit, Drive Setup, Disk Copy, Stuffit Expander, etc. I can also run Color It (a Photoshop clone), Graphic Converter, Fetch, NiftyTelnet, iCab (I love iCab), BBEdit, and ClarisWorks 4. What else could you need? Those are my personal list of "must have" classic apps. I can also use my AppleTalk network just fine, as well as my TCP LAN and DSL connection.

I have to agree with Cipher13's list of do's. No menu blinking makes the system seem much faster. Getting rid of everything else that isn't necessary can really free up some memory as well as probably making the system a little more stable.

-Jason

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by jasonyates:
So now that you guys have all these doo-dads installed, do you actually do anything productive with the computer? I know some people will think I'm strange for this, but I just have a very minimal install of System 7.5.5 on my 8500. I've gotten very used to the interface in the last 10 years or so, so the little convenience apps would probably just throw me off.

There are some compatibility issues with some new software, but I am able to do all the system maintenance stuff; ResEdit, Drive Setup, Disk Copy, Stuffit Expander, etc. I can also run Color It (a Photoshop clone), Graphic Converter, Fetch, NiftyTelnet, iCab (I love iCab), BBEdit, and ClarisWorks 4. What else could you need? Those are my personal list of "must have" classic apps. I can also use my AppleTalk network just fine, as well as my TCP LAN and DSL connection.

I have to agree with Cipher13's list of do's. No menu blinking makes the system seem much faster. Getting rid of everything else that isn't necessary can really free up some memory as well as probably making the system a little more stable.

-Jason
Sure I do something productive with my OS 8.6 machine, it's my PowerBook 1400 which I use for university work, taking it with me every single day
But same here, got used to 8.6, it's running quite well and although I's thinking of updating it to 9.0.4 I probably won't do it after all. We'll see, I don't know yet.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 10:56 PM

First things I install on a OS 9 machine:

- LiteSwitch
- DragThing
- Click and there it is!
- TypeRighter Suite (contextual menu plug-in)
- FinderPop

DragThing and TypeRighter are shareware; rest are freeware.

If I don't have all of the above (except FinderPop, which is nice but not completely necessary) I slowly go crazy.

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 08:26 PM

8.6----> 9.04 is a good move, 9.04 is great. Really stable.

The only things i can think of for 9 performance are RAM, it's very stable with a nice shot of RAM, and none of the kaliedoscope power windows interface "enhancement" doo dads that gum up the works. One app I do recommend is A-Dock, which is a skinnable version of the X dock, with some nice differences. There are some nice contextual menu modules too.
i look in your general direction

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2002, 07:31 PM

I once found an app called "NoFinderZoom", it is very useful to speed up the finder/window resizing and opening/closing. It kills the "zooming box" effects, which are very gui-intensive.

Similar in principle to "ShadowKiller" in OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules