Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office for Mac - Very Cheap

Office for Mac - Very Cheap
quadraphonic
Sep 5, 2004, 12:01 PM

Just thought I'd post, for anyone interested in picking up Office 2004 for Mac (Student Edition), that it seems university computer stores are selling it quite low. Initially listed at $245CDN at the University of Alberta, it seems there's a back to school special offered by several publishers (Microsoft, Adobe, etc.) and Office is going for $115CDN. You'll need a student to pick it up for you, but the price sounds right to me.

Here's a link to the .pdf sheet with the special pricing.

http://www.campuscomputerstore.ca/ua...u/Stud_Lic.pdf
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2004, 12:20 PM

That would work for me....I wonder if UofC is doing the same thing?

A friend of mine goes there.
Who reads this???

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2004, 01:07 PM

That's nothin' - some universities cut a deal with Microsoft allowing students to pick up Office, Windows, etc. for less than $20!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
That's nothin' - some universities cut a deal with Microsoft allowing students to pick up Office, Windows, etc. for less than $20!
In Finland MS is offering teachers MS Office and MS Windows XP or WIN2000 for free.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by solitere:
In Finland MS is offering teachers MS Office and MS Windows XP or WIN2000 for free.
but not Office 2004
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2004, 02:27 PM

My friend at Ball State can get Windows XP Pro, and Office for the mere price of 5 dollars... That is just ridiculous.

rytc
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by IronMentality:
My friend at Ball State can get Windows XP Pro, and Office for the mere price of 5 dollars... That is just ridiculous.

Same here at my School, we have a site licence which includes Office XP for free, but Office for Mac is of course NZ$80 bucks. In my opinion this legitimates my pirating of Office 2004, I'm basically paying for Microsoft's site licence through my fees yet get no tangible benefit.

Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 01:48 PM

I got OfficeX for 17 euro with my through my university
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 04:13 PM

at U. Mich I bought office 2004 today for 45 buckaroos (dollars)

larkost
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 05:50 PM

I worked for a University, in the IT department) just as it was negotiating the Microsoft Campus License... the one that allows campuses to sell things at those prices (whatever they choose), and I have got to tell you that you are playing a lot more than 5, or 40 dollars for that piece of software. You are paying it through your tuition (and state taxes) or through lack of pay hikes (for the university staff).

The reason that universities wind up paying for these licenses is that they wind up saving a lot of money if they were to have copies of the software on every computer. That is no non-microsoft software... And the license is figured by the number of computers on campus (including student computers), and includes Macs, Linux boxes, Suns, etc... If you start figuring out the per person costs and start selecting out who could use alternative/free software as an alternative, things don't look so good.

The other big stick on the program is that the Microsoft reps started talking about how nice it would be for us, since we would never be subject to license verification audits... they said this just as they were crucifying a school district by making them go through a very expensive process to verify the software licenses on every computer in the district... by forcing the district to pay for their auditors. That district wound up having to pay for a bunch of licenses for software it had never used on computers that were idle, because they could not prove that they had licenses (they probably did... but the accounts had been lost).

I wound up feeling very dirty about the whole process...

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:01 PM

Strange that having to deal with microsoft makes you feel dirty afterwards...

Incidentally does anyone know anything about Gnome Office?

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 01:08 PM

microsoft would rather give thier software away for free then take the chance for someone to "switch" this has been documented many times

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 02:10 PM

Microsoft Enterprise Agreement university faculty prices for me:

-Mac software
Office 2004 $12
Office v. X $8

-Windows software
Windows XP Pro $12
Office XP Pro $8
Office 2003 Pro $12
Visio Pro 2003 $30

All software above are the corporate versions - no serial numbers or activation (even for Windows XP); unlimited installs on all personal machines are OK per the license. Must delete if I leave the University's employment.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 02:16 PM

Office 2004 is like $50 for us and .X is .like $20. Jag and Panther are both free to students...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Microsoft Enterprise Agreement university faculty prices for me:

-Mac software
Office 2004 $12
Office v. X $8

-Windows software
Windows XP Pro $12
Office XP Pro $8
Office 2003 Pro $12
Visio Pro 2003 $30

All software above are the corporate versions - no serial numbers or activation (even for Windows XP); unlimited installs on all personal machines are OK per the license. Must delete if I leave the University's employment.
if you ever need a off-site backup storage, let me know

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
but not Office 2004
Could be so. I have to check out those details closer... But Office 2004 Mac Proffessional is covered under my schools "schoolagreement" with MS. So I get i anyway..

Forum Links
Forum Rules