Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Furious at the State of California

Furious at the State of California
selowitch
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 02:49 PM

My daughter was born in California and her adoption by my wife and me was finalized yesterday (Hooray!). The bad news is that I'm being told it will take seven months for the state's Department of Vital Records to generate and send us a revised birth certificate with her name and ours on it.

I can't believe this. What in the world takes them so long? It seems to me there ought to be some kind of federal law that compels the state to do this things in a more timely fashion.

Does anyone else find this outrageous? What, the people of California don't pay enough taxes to receive competent services from the state? I don't think that's it....

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 02:56 PM

Well, congrats on the finalized adoption. Sorry everything else is screwy.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 02:57 PM

Takes a good two months (about one to wait for the photographer to come to town and another to make and send) to replace a health card here in canada, and you won't get medical attention until then. Unless of course you pay for it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2007, 02:59 PM

Would you go so far as to say the state of California being a prick?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2007, 03:00 PM

Yeah, that's lame. The Bahamas were able to do it for Larry Burkhead quickly enough.

After passing my Life and Heath insurance exam I got a letter from Sacramento saying that I did not properly sign the application, even though I had applied online and written over the signature field was "Signature Submitted Electronically." That means I had to pay a $13 "amendment" fee and that my license will be delayed. I did everything right. People told me that's just what you should expect from civil servants.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 03:08 PM

It's also laughable the way politicians always promise to end "waste, fraud, and abuse" (of which this is a prime example) when they campaign, then do nothing about it once elected? If they need to hire more people to make this go faster, why don't they just charge me more money? I'd pay $100.00 instead of $20.00 gladly if I could get it sooner.
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Well, congrats on the finalized adoption. Sorry everything else is screwy.
Thanks! Extreme happiness....

design219
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Takes a good two months ... to replace a health card here in canada, and you won't get medical attention until then. Unless of course you pay for it.
Healthcare in Canada... Sounds like the beginning of an argument, and a marathon thread!
( Last edited by design219; May 3, 2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo)

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Rumor
May 3, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yeah, that's lame. The Bahamas were able to do it for Larry Burkhead quickly enough.

After passing my Life and Heath insurance exam I got a letter from Sacramento saying that I did not properly sign the application, even though I had applied online and written over the signature field was "Signature Submitted Electronically." That means I had to pay a $13 "amendment" fee and that my license will be delayed. I did everything right. People told me that's just what you should expect from civil servants.
I know the feeling.

They have my P&C license listed for the wrong company, one which I have never heard of before. They still do not have my L&H appointment at all. It's been close to two years. I called the CDofI to have it corrected and they wanted me to pay $24 for each. The guy tried to tell me that the P&C was my error, so I asked him if the numbers were even remotely the same. He told me no, so I asked him if he still thought it was my error, he again said I needed to pay $24 to have it "fixed". I've just left it as it is.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 04:00 PM

It took more than a month to get a copy of my own birth certificate in order to get a passport.

I hear it takes a year or more sometimes to get a replacement social security card.

I think that part of the reason it takes forever to get copies of such important official documents (since you can't get things like a passport without a valid birth certificate, or cross into a foreign country with at the very least a birth cert. and valid ID) is to keep people from trying to forge them and stuff.

P.S. pics of the kid plz.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2007, 04:02 PM

It's not just California. My mom tried to order a new birth certificate for my little brother a few years back and it took Michigan about that long (I think a little less, but still several months) to get its **** together.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
P.S. pics of the kid plz.
Well ... okay. You talked me into it:
More here for those interested.

BTW, can you imagine how your own boss would react if you said, "Oh, I'll have that report to you in about seven months." He or she would most likely say, "There's the door, pal."
Originally Posted by shifuimam
I'm a female conservative Christian Republican who voted for Bush and supports the war in Iraq. I also use Windows XP more than I use OS X. Hate me yet?
No, I don't hate you for your choice of gender, ideological leanings, faith, president, war, and operating system. Hatred is a Republican trait.
After all, there's no reason for a male, liberal, Jewish, non-Bush supporting, war opposing Mac user not to be friends with you. Besides, even I agree that it makes sense to be conservative on certain things, e.g., balancing the federal budget. Oh, wait — I'm sorry! You're a Bush supporter. Never mind on that one!
( Last edited by selowitch; May 3, 2007 at 04:25 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2007, 04:19 PM

Beautiful girl!

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Beautiful girl!
Thank you. Can't take credit for her looks, of course. But she's a truly delightful baby. We're thrilled.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I know the feeling.

They have my P&C license listed for the wrong company, one which I have never heard of before. They still do not have my L&H appointment at all. It's been close to two years. I called the CDofI to have it corrected and they wanted me to pay $24 for each. The guy tried to tell me that the P&C was my error, so I asked him if the numbers were even remotely the same. He told me no, so I asked him if he still thought it was my error, he again said I needed to pay $24 to have it "fixed". I've just left it as it is.
That's a lot worse than my story! I thought the DOI was supposed to keep on top of appointments. It sounds like they're not following their own regulations.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread a bit. Congrats on the adoption. Don't let bureaucratic inefficiency get you down.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wolfen
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Does anyone else find this outrageous? What, the people of California don't pay enough taxes to receive competent services from the state? I don't think that's it....
In Australia a child molesting father kidnapped his daughters. The father alleged (with no proof) that she was an unfit mother so the state said he could take the kids until they sorted it out. They haven't been seen for years. The mother has fought the legal system and searched all this time, and is getting no help. I think that's outrageous.

As for your situation? I'd say wait for the birth certificate with a smile on your face.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
In Australia a child molesting father kidnapped his daughters. The father alleged (with no proof) that she was an unfit mother so the state said he could take the kids until they sorted it out. They haven't been seen for years. The mother has fought the legal system and searched all this time, and is getting no help. I think that's outrageous.

As for your situation? I'd say wait for the birth certificate with a smile on your face.
That does alter my perspective a bit. *shudder*
And don't get me wrong. I'm truly grateful for the blessing of this child. I just wish the system had a little more respect for the emotional and financial investment adoptive (and birth-)parents make in the process.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2007, 08:14 PM

also all the other paperwork this is holding up, if you wanted to get her a passport, even some daycares require birth certificate.

congrats on the adoption!!

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 08:42 PM

Congrats! The joy on your faces says it all. Good luck to your new family.

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2007, 02:00 AM

Just try to get a certified copy of a California Birth Certificate when you live overseas. They require a notaraized request, but will not accept a foreign notary. So if you are not near a US Embassy (which charge $35 or so for a stamp), tough luck. They also require a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and it is impossible to buy US postage over here. BUT, California can't accept extra money for postage.

And after they tell you in writing that they will forward your certificate to Sacramento for an Apostille certificate, they instead return it to you directly with a note saying they never do that.

Getting such documents from two other states took a couple days... it is six weeks later and I am still trying to get it from CA.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
Congrats! The joy on your faces says it all. Good luck to your new family.
Thanks. It's truly awesome. She's a wonderfully sweet little person, and her big brother adores her.

brapper
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 11:03 AM

Ya, ridiculous. BUT, congratulations!

Aron Peterson
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
My daughter was born in California and her adoption by my wife and me was finalized yesterday (Hooray!). The bad news is that I'm being told it will take seven months for the state's Department of Vital Records to generate and send us a revised birth certificate with her name and ours on it.

I can't believe this. What in the world takes them so long?
Bureaucrazy
( Last edited by Aron Peterson; Sep 28, 2014 at 07:42 AM. )
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2007, 01:19 PM

I thought this was a Sharks thread. Damn Flames.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 06:41 PM

I just ordered a Pennsylvania birth certificate online and it said it should be shipped in 10 days. I need it pretty soon so I hope it comes on time.
Congrats on the baby.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules