Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple still finalizing Mac support for Continuity Handoffs

Apple still finalizing Mac support for Continuity Handoffs
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 20, 2014, 02:39 PM

Apple is still testing and has yet to finalize which Macs will be able to take advantage of OS X Yosemite's Handoff feature, sources say. With supporting apps and hardware, the technology lets people shift work from an iOS device to a Mac, or vice versa. So far, though, users of the Yosemite beta note that only Macs equipped with Bluetooth LE -- beginning with the 2011 MacBook Air -- appear to be compatible.

A possibility is that older Macs might be able to use Handoff when equipped with a Bluetooth LE adapter. One site, Netkas.org, says it has managed to get Continuity working on Macs as old as a 2008 Mac Pro. Apple could however manually set which Macs will get Handoff, in which case adapters won't matter.

Yosemite's features will likely only be finalized closer to the fall, when the OS is officially scheduled to launch.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2014, 11:36 PM

Really hope they allow the use of a dongle. Even if they make it an Apple dongle I'd still buy it. I'm waiting for a Broadwell equipped Mac to replace my Sandybridge MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules