Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Vonage Issues HELP!!!

Vonage Issues HELP!!!
jmwmnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 09:13 AM

Alrighty here's the set up:
I have a vonage box base unit (Vtech 5.8 you can buy at bestbuy), DSL modem, Dynex 5 port ethernet router (also bought at bestbuy), and an 24" iMac. As it stands I HAD it wired as follows: DSL modem> Dynex Ethernet Router> connected to both the iMac and Vonage units via ethernet cables and plugged into the WAN port on the Vonage base. I get a message whenever I pickup the handset that this doesn't support Vonage. Also the base unit ready light doesn't even blink, just stays solid red. WHY!!!
I've wired this thing without the router, and it still stays red and doesn't give me tone on the handset. What am I missing. I've reset the base unit too and that doesn't even make a difference. Also have reset the DSL modem and same result. I'm using the cables that came with the base unit...so I don't think there's a problem on that end.
I get the feeling that it's something to do with the way I configured everything...so a software issue somewhere. My DSL provider also requires PPPoE if that info helps. Anybody that's done this before please help me. Did I screw up the base unit? CAN SOMEONE WALK ME THROUGH A STEP BY STEP CONFIGURING THE SOFTWARE CORRECTLY?
eternally greatful to whoever has the answers,
jmwmnl ps. internet works fine without the Vonage base unit connected, or even with it connected via router.
Portable Apple IIc with lovely green monitor and homemade joystick...so I could play chuck yeagers flight simulator
MBP 15" Intel Core Duo 2.16ghz w/256mg graphics, 100GB internal HD, express 34 eSATA connection
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz w/256mb graphics, 500GB internal HD, 2TB external HD...my how times have changed.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2006, 10:19 AM

The WAN port is for the Internet end of everything, so that one is correct, but there's a minor glitch in this that isn't obvious: I'll bet the Vonage base wants to be connected directly to the modem. You can get around this by assigning it a fixed IP and setting that IP as being in the "DMZ" of your router (if it supports it-most routers do).

How to do that? No clue here, but it's got to be somewhere in the manuals for the two units...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmwmnl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 04:09 AM

This is mainly for those who have such a freak problem as me. I ended up wiring the DSL router straight into my AirEx base station and totally bipassing the Dynex router...guess what??? Miracle of miracles it works just fine. Why...couldn't tell you. Soon as I did that though the Vonage box gave me the greenlight and I've been fine ever since. However the Airport software had to be downgraded to the factory 4.2 settings. Kept getting logging out of DSL. Now I'm good though.
Portable Apple IIc with lovely green monitor and homemade joystick...so I could play chuck yeagers flight simulator
MBP 15" Intel Core Duo 2.16ghz w/256mg graphics, 100GB internal HD, express 34 eSATA connection
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz w/256mb graphics, 500GB internal HD, 2TB external HD...my how times have changed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules