Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LaCie d2 drive and Apple formating vs Silverlining?

LaCie d2 drive and Apple formating vs Silverlining?
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 07:22 PM

Hello
Im helping friends update a 3 mac system. they have a LaCie d2 firewire (new) HD. rather than use silverlining drivers and software, can I simply reformat the drive using the 10.3 disk utilites, for future simplicity in this setting?

less is more probably in this setting. I use silverling myself, but understand about a second driver.

thanks

Tocca

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 12:40 AM

yes you can format the LaCie drive with Apple's Disk Utility. In fact somewhere in the LaCie documention I read just that!

Of course if you are using OS 9, in that same paragraph/page it says you should use LaCie's own Silverlining software.

When I first plugged in the d2 drive into G5 it showed up without having to install or run anything first.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Nov 13, 2003, 01:30 AM

Just make sure you update the firmware on the drive!

"Hello, what have we here?

Toccatexx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 01:22 PM

Thank for all the help. as far as I can tell from the LaCie page, only the 800 d2 firewire drives need the firmware upgrade?

thanks Tocca

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2003, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Toccatexx:
as far as I can tell from the LaCie page, only the 800 d2 firewire drives need the firmware upgrade?
Correct. There is an OS 9 firmware update for older FW400 drives, but the d2 FW400 drives don't need it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules