Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe PageMaker vs InDesign

Adobe PageMaker vs InDesign
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 03:15 PM

Hello

Im upgrading to Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS.

Ive used PageMaker in very old versions.

for very little $$$ more, I can get the whole creative suite which includes In Design but NOT Pagemaker

understanding that Acobate probably slices and dices one massize program into seveal smaller boxes ( theoretically) how do PageMaker and InDesin compare?

thanks Tocca

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 03:38 PM

They still make PageMaker?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2003, 03:45 PM

I don't think we'll ever se Pagemaker updated, and inDesign figures very favorably, by my estimation.

I occasionally have to open a Pagemaker document when a client provides one, and it runs in classic, but there's soooo much more that InDesign does. Transparency with PSDs, easy text drop-shadows, all kinds of fun stuff. I'm just barely in to learning inDesign (I've got 2.02) but I'm liking it so far.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 04:27 PM

PageMaker is dead.
Vandelay Industries

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
PageMaker is dead.

Yes, it's pretty dead. But here's a question, and it's not hypoethical. I have PageMaker 6.5, I think it is, which, as noted, runs only in Classic. But my layout needs are pretty modest. So -- would you use an ed discount to fork over about $200 for InDesign, or just stick with PageMaker, paying, I think $80 or so to upgrade to the latest version, which is still Classic. As I said, my layout needs are quite modest. Actually, they're pretty minimal, but I really do not like PageMaker much and that's almost one of my last Classic aps. It's just that InDesign is so expensive.

And if not InDesign, anyone know of an inexpensive layotu software?

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Yes, it's pretty dead. But here's a question, and it's not hypoethical. I have PageMaker 6.5, I think it is, which, as noted, runs only in Classic. But my layout needs are pretty modest. So -- would you use an ed discount to fork over about $200 for InDesign, or just stick with PageMaker, paying, I think $80 or so to upgrade to the latest version, which is still Classic. As I said, my layout needs are quite modest. Actually, they're pretty minimal, but I really do not like PageMaker much and that's almost one of my last Classic aps. It's just that InDesign is so expensive.

And if not InDesign, anyone know of an inexpensive layotu software?
My personal opinion is that the freedom from Classic would be worth the (InDesign) upgrade fee.

mishap
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 02:01 PM

InDesign CS is the layout application available, why not upgrade to it?

Hey if you ever need to you can put movies in PDF docs. I heavily advised against this with one of the ad agencies i was working with wanted to do this, but i had to tell them it was possible to do.

InDesign may be too much for you, but the ease of use should win you over.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 05:26 PM

InDesign =

PageMaker =

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 12:41 AM

To elaborate, PageMaker 7 is the last update you can expect for that app, IIRC. Maybe 7 has some nice features over 6.5, but I sure heard no rush to upgrade when it came out.

That InDesign runs in OSX should be reason enough. That 6.5 looks and feels like a System 6 program...? IMHO, don't waste you cash on the PM upgrade. Put it aside for the move to InDesign. It actually looks and works like an Adobe app should.

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the input. The sole reason for doing an upgrade to pagemaker 7 instead of InDesign 2 would be financial. I really don't use the program much (though I would probably use it a bit more if I didn't have to start Dlassic!) -- we're talking a difference of about $100 -- and I still haven't bought Panther! If I used it more it would be no contest. That said, I had to redo letterhead the other day and I was really, really regretting not having InDesign.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 12:49 PM

I say save up and splurge on InDesign. Even if you think it's more program than you need. The amount of stress it will relieve in the long run will be well worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules