Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVD-(+)R/RW: ?"best" 'most compatable' etc??

DVD-(+)R/RW: ?"best" 'most compatable' etc??
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 06:15 PM

Hello
Ive recently decided to get a Sony mini DV camera (DCR-TRV22) that I saw at he Apple palo alto with an analog pass through to change old VCR tapes to DVD.

I have a dual g4 with a dvd-rom in the first bay and a samsung 40x cd-R/rw in the bottom slot.

I run OD 10.3.1 and will upgade to 10.3.2 when I get around to it.

I have iMovie and iDVD. I have Toast 6.0.3.

I do not plan to get a G5 for the forseable future.

what External DVD-(+)r/rw is recomended. Ive read some threads in dec 03 and they talk about difficulties with an external burner. is this just to view DVD's? or does it effect the pass through Im interesting in using to convert old VCR's to DVD's to play weither in my top slot in the G4 or on a DVD to the TV

thanks Toccs

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Toccatexx:
Hello
Ive recently decided to get a Sony mini DV camera (DCR-TRV22) that I saw at he Apple palo alto with an analog pass through to change old VCR tapes to DVD.

I have a dual g4 with a dvd-rom in the first bay and a samsung 40x cd-R/rw in the bottom slot.

I run OD 10.3.1 and will upgade to 10.3.2 when I get around to it.

I have iMovie and iDVD. I have Toast 6.0.3.

I do not plan to get a G5 for the forseable future.

what External DVD-(+)r/rw is recomended. Ive read some threads in dec 03 and they talk about difficulties with an external burner. is this just to view DVD's? or does it effect the pass through Im interesting in using to convert old VCR's to DVD's to play weither in my top slot in the G4 or on a DVD to the TV

thanks Toccs
If you're going to be using Macs, I'd recommend the - drives (it's what the Superdrives are).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 12:33 AM

Will iDVD support an external drive? I'm thinking it doesn't.

You might want to check the drive database at www.xlr8yourmac.com and see which drives are supported by the iApps (particularly iDVD). I'm fairly certain that DVD Studio Pro supports external drives.

It may be to your benefit to install the "superdrive" as an internal drive, and move one of the others to an external case (instead of having the DVD burner as an external drive).

I'd recommend one of the Pioneer drives (DVR-106D), as these are the mechanisms that Apple frequently uses. For Macs, definitely go "-" instead of "+". In addition, DVD-R is more compatible with stand-alone DVD players than DVD+R is.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 12:59 AM

As far as I know, iDVD does not recognize external DVD burners. How about ditching the internal cd-rw behing door number two and put in a superdrive. Ask around... several people have had luck getting iDVD to recognize an internal dvd-r that wasn't apple installed, as long as it was superdrive spec.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules