Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MacWrite5 and MacPro converters to Word???

MacWrite5 and MacPro converters to Word???
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 05:19 PM

Hello
Il helping some friends update their macs. info on an old performa, will be removed via Floppy and put on new powerbooks/imacs.

Office X recognizes and updates old excel and word files, but not MacWrite 5 and Mac (write?)pro.

any ideas? could it be that on this system the "value pack" that comes with office was not put on and hopefully in there are some traslators?

help much appreciated.

tocca

bbales
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 08:29 PM

Check the Microsoft web site. Also -- anyone own Dataviz's MacLinkPlus? That would undoubtedly translate them.

and finally -- can you open the files in their existing form and then translate them to an early Word version, that Office X WOULD recognize?

By the way, I still ahve MacWrite II files. And believe it or not, I also still have the program (it's only 11 or 12 years old...) -- every once in a while, it launches when I open an old file. I keep telling myself i really do need to translate them before it takes out my whole computer someday.

These are random thoughts on the situation -- someone else might have a much better idea.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 08:52 PM

MacLink does a fantastic job of it. I most heartedly recommend it.

It is, however, a tad expensive.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 10:51 PM

Depending on what the MacWrite II format is like, you may just be able to open it with TextEdit, find the text, copy it out, and throw away the formatting junk.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules