Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > how to install RAM in iMac 350 (slot-load)?

how to install RAM in iMac 350 (slot-load)?
cmcleod design
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 03:20 AM

Hi. I am going to install some RAM in my friends iMac 350 (indigo) and I need some help. I dont have a clue how to install it in an iMac and he doesnt want to pay a tech to do it for him (they charge far too much).

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance

caifara
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 05:10 AM

Open the back of the iMac with a coin. You see 2 slots, in one of them there is allready 64 Mb ram, you just have to push the new slot in the empty slot while opening the clips. That should be it.

-c
-c

iDon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 05:12 AM

G'day cmcleod.
Turn it off, flip it on its head and look for the coin-sized lock holding a small door closed. Get your coin, open the door and directly beneath it you will see one PC100 ram chip installed and an empty slot next to it. Gently push your RAM in the same way 'round as the one in there, close the door, plug it in and away you go. This process takes not much longer than two minutes. Have fun.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2001, 05:23 AM

I would just add:

1. There are two grooves on the RAM. Make sure those line up with the bumps inside the slot before pressing the RAM in. 256MB bars don't have one side that is different like the 64's so look for the grooves rather than copy the pre-installed RAM.

2. make sure you close the white/cream coloured clips (check the installed RAM for how it should look afterwards) after you've inserted the RAM.

Fredo
Senior User
Jul 27, 2001, 01:26 PM

Who are the Brain Police?

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 05:45 PM

The video in the link given in the previous message may tell you this, but two more things:

Turn the machine off, but leave it plugged in. The cord serves as your ground. THere is a plate in the opening (the oval-shaped door) that you are supposed to touch to discharge static before you install the RAM.

Have fun. I've done this several times now, and it's a piece of cake.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 06:54 PM

Look in the help files. I know my older Rev C iMac has instructions and diagrams in the help.

cmcleod design  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2001, 12:31 AM

thanks everyone for your help. installation was succesful and now he's running @ 320 MB ram..

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2001, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Indigo Boy:
<STRONG>Turn the machine off, but leave it plugged in. The cord serves as your ground. THere is a plate in the opening (the oval-shaped door) that you are supposed to touch to discharge static before you install the RAM.</STRONG>
I wouldn't leave it plugged in the whole time. My user's guide (the one that came with the iMac) says to touch the plate to discharge the static, then unplug the power cord, then install the RAM.

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2001, 12:22 PM

CaseCom: You are exactly right, of course, about unplugging the cord. I didn't mention that (oops) but was mainly concerned that no one in the posts above mentioned static discharge in their instructions. Thanks for pointing out my omission.

Forum Links
Forum Rules