Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row running on all Macs

Front Row running on all Macs
MDWeezer
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 10:17 PM

Not sure if this is off limits or not but Front Row has been tweaked to run on any Mac.

This Flickr set is no longer up, I pulled it this morning, if you want to see a picture check out Engadget, they mirrored a image
( Last edited by MDWeezer; Oct 25, 2005 at 02:10 PM. )

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2005, 10:43 PM

HaX0rs rulezs the MAC!

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 11:08 PM

where to download?

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 12:03 AM

There's, uh, an interesting link on the flickr page...
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 12:21 AM

So once you get it installed and running then how do you make it do anything? Or is it just supposed to be one useless menu unless you have the new iMac the remote? Oh wait, nevermind. You just start up the app and then 'launch' its main menu with the escape key and navigate with the arrow keys using the escape key for 'back'. Works great for music, and probably would for photos if I used iPhoto and for DVD's if I had one in. Pretty darn cool, and very smooth even on my TiBook.
( Last edited by mrtew; Oct 25, 2005 at 12:29 AM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 01:22 AM

From what I was told. Click on FrontRow to bring to the front and hold the ESC key for five seconds. That should activate FR. Use the arrow-keys to navigate. Hit Enter to access a directory. When in a directory use the ESC to go back to the pervious menu. Some people are having issues with iTunes... make sure iTunes isn't active when you launch FrontRow. FrontRow will do that itself and after that it will work properly. Movies accessed from in the movies folder. Pron taken to a new level. Apple rocks.
( Last edited by Ratm; Oct 25, 2005 at 01:59 AM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 02:00 AM

I'm using it on my iBook.. pretty smooth.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by brachiator
There's, uh, an interesting link on the flickr page...
that would be my brain that wasn't working. thanks.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 02:48 AM

I got it working with my Keyspan remote and running in the background with no dock icon.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 04:28 AM

Just a heads up, the new bezel frameworks can cause alt-tab switching and keyboard and mouseactivation of Exposé to cease working.

Oh and that torrent file is of a way old version of the hack

There is a Salling Clicker-script for it as well now.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:25 AM

I was just about to ask about a salling script.

Awesome.

Will try when i get home, who wants to bet that my iBook 500 will choke like a rabbit swallowing a gravestone?

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 06:49 AM

There's a new installation method and setup. It was terribly slow and video playback was crap. Check out enano275 instructions. Works perfect now. Everything but DVD. You don't need to install FR in two places with this version. I also discovered that pressing the tab key brings up the desktop.

http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/24/reade...on-a-mac-mini/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 08:09 AM

does anyone have the salling script?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 08:50 AM

Yes.

The latest packaging of the hack (version IV) have none of the problems reported (except for DVD-playback). All the links refers to the very first (and very buggy) version of this hack. You'd all be better off not downloading that one.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 09:26 AM

If only Apple would sell this separately with a Bluetooth remote, I'd buy it tomorrow.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 10:04 AM

I'm assuming Apple is going to bundle this with iLife eventually.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 11:08 AM

.... the account has been suspended on the download site.

anyone have a mirror of the latest? If not, does anyone have a copy they want to email me?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 01:55 PM

for anyone who is looking, I finally found an as is working copy for 10.4.3 @ http://www.eden.org/eric/blog/?p=90

it works smoothly on my system (see sig for details). The only slowness is if you do not already have itunes/iPhoto /iMovie open, it takes a moment to actually open the programs in the background. I haven't tried DVD player yet, but everythign else works.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 02:07 PM

I've kind-of gotten it working on a PB 1.67 (15", 128MB Video, 1.5 GB RAM). It's responsive enough, but..

1) As noted elsewhere, DVD player is not working.
2) It's pretty slow indexing songs in iTunes, seems to do it every time you connect.
3) And the biggest issue I have it once you start a song in iTunes and either go to another module (movies, photos, etc) or leave front row and come back in, it can't communicated with iTunes anymore. I'm not sure what gets it back, time works- I tried it again a few hours later and it got back in, and broke again. I assume restart would work. Any thoughts?

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 02:11 PM

I haven't really messed arond too much, but I've noticed the same with iTunes.

Another problem, I have a few video podcasts and other files in my Movies folder, I can start playing them,... however, when I try to rewind/fast forward, I can't. And if I Pause, I can't unpause.

I haven't restarted since installing, so we'll see how it goes.

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 02:40 PM

MY front row remote is my bluetooth mouse, it does more stuff than the apple remote
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2005, 03:16 PM

anyone know how to assign an F-key to activate Front Row (as in launch it, not have it in the dock, and go into Front Row without having to click the dock icon, and hold down escape)?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
anyone know how to assign an F-key to activate Front Row (as in launch it, not have it in the dock, and go into Front Row without having to click the dock icon, and hold down escape)?
STEP 2.
Open Script Editor.app (located in Applications/AppleScript) and paste in the following code.

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
key code 53 using {command down}
end tell

Once you have done this, save it as an application named openfrontrow.app in your applications folder.

STEP 3.
Now go to macupdate and download the program named Xkeys. It is freeware.
Once you have the file downloaded, install it and then open it up. Inside the program, configure your F8 key to run your openfrontrow.app file you created in STEP2.

STEP 4.
Now go into System Preferences. In the Accounts preference tab set up front row.app (the one you downloaded, NOT to be confused with openfrontrow.app that you created in STEP2) to be a login item.

STEP 5.
Reboot your computer. When it turns back on, press the F8 key and hopefully you will be experiencing Front Row! Pressing F8 again (or a lot of other keys on the keyboard) will close Front Row.
Let me know if it works!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 04:48 PM

This is simply awesome! Got it running using Enano's instructions over at TUAW. I didn't bother setting up an FKey to launch it since I can Spotlight the OpenFrontRow Applescript app in short order. Downloaded the app itself from the rapidshare link. Everything seems to work fine, but I haven't tried the DVD yet. Running it on a PowerBook G4 1.33 Mhz. Now I need to locate that Salling Clicker script and everything will be good to go. Now all Apple needs to do is release an Airport Express Video and all will be well in the world.

OAW

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 04:52 PM

I got complete instructions courtesy of cybergamer from Mac Serial Junkie (link). Please someone host the file somewhere else too, because I think it won't last much there. Enjoy:

-----------------------------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present to you a guide i wrote, compiled from the great patching of jacksonbrown and the work and random findings of myself and a few others, on how to make Front Row work quite nicely.

(Mods, if this is in the incorrect area of this site, please move as you see fit. Keeping it open for improvements on this tutorial would be appreciated though.)

This will give you a Front Row that can be provoked via hotkey anywhere within MacOSX and closed via this same hotkey....very much like dashboard and F12 are. This also seems to have no reported issues with iTunes playback, though DVD playback has not been tested.

I'll try to keep this simple without leaving out details some of the more n00b peoples might need.

PLEASE FOLLOW THESE STEPS IN ORDER, AND DO NOT TRY TO RUN THE PROGRAM PRE-MATURELY. It will just likely result in nothing happening, or an applescript error that will confuse some people. Follow the tutorial through to the end and then enjoy!

==========================

A few pre-tutorial notes:

If you have already placed front row.app in your applications folder but HAVE done the plist modification, this will not work exactly as desired. Download the patched front row.app again and replace your plist modded version with the downloaded one. We've found it works much better this way. You don't see the ugly dock icon, and the problems with iTunes working properly seem to be gone too.

==========================

STEP 1.
Download JacksonBrown's patched Front Row STW.

His brilliant patching work makes Front Row run under 10.4.2 without having the iMac's remote present.
There are three files inside this .ZIP
- Readme.txt you may now ignore, as it is out of date.
- Front Row.app copy to the Applications folder
- BezelServices.framework copy to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/
At this point you will need to reboot your computer.

STEP 2.
Open Script Editor.app (located in Applications/AppleScript) and paste in the following code.

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Front Row" to activate
key code 53 using {command down}
end tell

Once you have done this, save it as an application named openfrontrow.app in your applications folder.

STEP 3.
Now go to macupdate and download the program named Xkeys. It is freeware.
Once you have the file downloaded, install it and then open it up. Inside the program, configure your F8 key to run your openfrontrow.app file you created in STEP2.

STEP 4.
Now go into System Preferences. In the Accounts preference tab set up front row.app (the one you downloaded, NOT to be confused with openfrontrow.app that you created in STEP2) to be a login item.

STEP 5.
Reboot your computer. When it turns back on, press the F8 key and hopefully you will be experiencing Front Row! Pressing F8 again (or a lot of other keys on the keyboard) will close Front Row.
Let me know if it works!

*END*
Posted at 10:56 PM ET on Oct 24, 2005 by enano275
( Last edited by Ratm; Oct 26, 2005 at 05:26 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 05:00 PM

A cautionary note ....

Running this hack can cause your system to lose the ability to minimize windows. I rarely do this so it won't be that big of a problem for me ... but YMMV.

http://applemacfreak.com/244

OAW

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 05:30 PM

my guess (& just a guess);
we'll see front row supported (maybe end this week?) with 10.4.3...
in iLife 6.

think i'm gonna wait...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 05:51 PM

A guy in our office building showed me at lunch that he has Front Row running on his Mac. All he did was drag it directly into his applications folder. Nothing else. Seems to run perfectly except for the DVD's.

I am scared of something breaking especially since dot 3 is just around the corner. Don't know if I will be able to wait for iLife 6 though. Come on Apple. Put it out for sale. Hopefully fisherking is right about dot 3 support.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
A cautionary note ....

Running this hack can cause your system to lose the ability to minimize windows. I rarely do this so it won't be that big of a problem for me ... but YMMV.

http://applemacfreak.com/244

OAW
Ok more on this little glitch. Turns out it's not as bad as it first seemed. Symptoms appear to be as follows:

1. Once FrontRow is launched any other app that is already running besides iTunes will lose the ability to be minimized.

2. Any app launched after FrontRow is closed will minimize just fine.

3. Going into full-screen mode in an app like QT or MS Remote Desktop will restore minimize functionality for all apps mentioned in point #1 above.

OAW

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:12 PM

Looked at this a little more after work.

To me, I really don't know now what I would use it for. Until the program allows streaming of all the info, I can't seeing it being handy at all.

So I'm in no hurry to get Front Row at all now.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 07:22 PM

Its quite exiting, special since Tooki said it would never run on a mini and required CoreImage compatible video card for the graphics to work correctly. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...light=frontrow

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 07:52 PM

I think it's a bit disappointing as an app, more like a beta quality in features. I was hoping it would allow browsing of the iPhoto library but all it does is play slideshows. The way is opens the apps too is a bit annoying, other programs can access the iPhoto and iTunes library when they're not running, why can't Front Row?

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:02 PM

For those of you with more than one screen, check out the dual monitor weirdness. Set your secondary display as the primary one and Front Row will display on that one. Open iPhoto but keep on the secondary display (ie not the one showing front row) and then run a photo show. Then hit Escape to get out and browse your photo list in Front Row and watch the pictures fly.
-- Jason

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Its quite exiting, special since Tooki said it would never run on a mini and required CoreImage compatible video card for the graphics to work correctly. http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...light=frontrow
Huh? CoreImage will work without a CoreImage compatible graphics card. It can still use CoreImage, it'll just run slower.

Many people think CoreImage requires a CoreImage card, and it's not true. Having a CoreImage card just means CoreImage can run faster.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 08:14 PM

Is Front Row more about Apple throwing their hat in the ring and remaining in play than really having the right app? Steve did seem to talk about the digital hub before the others but so far the "others" have product. (Not saying any of it is good.)

Reminds me a lot of Ink.

Alfonso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 08:26 PM

Where is the clicker script? I want to use my bluetooth phone without buying Salling clicker.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 09:08 PM

Ratm: Thanks a lot asshole! You (and others) carelessly throwing that link around made MSJ cease posting anything remotely related to FrontRow.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2005, 09:09 PM

anyone know why it can't find it my iPhoto library? it's a bit naff that it can't see it

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 09:13 PM

Tempting... but I don't place HaX0rs on my beautiful Mac.

Come on Apple... just release it.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Ratm: Thanks a lot asshole! You (and others) carelessly throwing that link around made MSJ cease posting anything remotely related to FrontRow.

That's the nature of the internet SMF. Poor baby, what are you going to do now, bitch a little more.
The only thing I care about is Mac users installing this correctly. F**K that site. How much longer do you think that info would have remained on that site. Dozens of places pointed to that information.

Now STFU and go away.
( Last edited by Ratm; Oct 26, 2005 at 12:11 AM. )

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2005, 09:30 PM

Is there a trick/tip to being able to copy "BezelServices.framework copy to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/?

I keep getting access denied.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 09:46 PM

The person that I know that got this to work fine did not do anything but install the app to the Application folder. That was the ONLY thing he did. He also manually turns it on. No login stuff. Try that. He seemed to have no issues other than playing DVD's. Got some kind of error and then had trouble getting out of FR.

This is all pretty interesting. Usually I like to live on the edge a little and immediately download stuff. From the wild variations of experiences, I am glad to be sitting this one out and only watching.

jasong
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Is Front Row more about Apple throwing their hat in the ring and remaining in play than really having the right app? Steve did seem to talk about the digital hub before the others but so far the "others" have product. (Not saying any of it is good.)

Reminds me a lot of Ink.
What makes you say that? I have actually found it to be quite nice. Still a version 1, but really my only gripe is that when you are watching a movie under the Movies section, it doesn't remember where you were if you leave and go back.

All Apple needs now is a Front Row enabled Airport Express (audio AND video) and it will be quite killer.
-- Jason

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2005, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Is there a trick/tip to being able to copy "BezelServices.framework copy to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/?

I keep getting access denied.

J.

change permissions of the destination folder to "read & write"; you'll need you admin password...

i'm in no rush to install this, as, especially on my 12" powerbook, i can't think of why i need it

(yet, anyway )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
What makes you say that? I have actually found it to be quite nice. Still a version 1, but really my only gripe is that when you are watching a movie under the Movies section, it doesn't remember where you were if you leave and go back.

All Apple needs now is a Front Row enabled Airport Express (audio AND video) and it will be quite killer.
I say this because as FR is of now, you either have to place your Mac tethered within a few feet of your TV or use your Mac as a TV. Playing iTunes directly from iTunes is much easier and smoother than playing iTunes in FR. Playing iPhoto in FR only lets you play slideshows. You can't view anything individually. Playing movies is MUCH smoother in QT or iMovie than in FR. Movie trailers is a better experience in FR however. Honestly though, name one part of the app equation in FR that doesn't work much better by itself than through FR.

The Holy Grail of the Digital Hub I think is streaming video, streaming everything. That is when everything will really get interesting. The race is on to be the one that gets mind and marketshare. Apple seems to be jumping in so as not to get too far behind although they have the best apps set up for the digital hub. FR is much cleaner than the competition but so what? None of the solutions come close to making much sense at all as a true hub. They are still computer solutions.

The only people I see getting any kind of use out of this are people that use their big screen iMacs or eventually cinema displays as TV's. This thing is being touted as great for dorm rooms. I would believe that most college students will have laptops. That is what our son is required to have anyway so what good will FR be for that situation?

I'm not dogging Apple. I just don't get what the love fest for FR is all about. Especially after giving it a whirl, granted on a handicapped internet version.

I compared it to Ink because they added that just to keep their hat in the ring for handwriting recognition. Just to kind of say, we can still do that. Nothing done to or with it since. What will they really be able to do with FR until streaming is possible? Hopefully that will happen sooner than later and I will be all over it.

I picture the end result being more of a small box like a Mac mini or even more specific and simple that is connected to your TV/Stereo. It can see through sharing all of the movies, music, etc on your wireless networked computers. Stuff is streamed from your remote computer to the box. You operate the thing by remote control and watch/listen to it.
( Last edited by kcmac; Oct 25, 2005 at 11:21 PM. )

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2005, 12:09 AM

Well after having a look at it I've decided to delete this off my system, it doesn't work properly, is slow and is piracy.

Come Apple, enough people want it to make it worth your while to release it, may as well make a few bob instead of loosing it to piracy on the net.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
That's the nature of the internet SMF. Poor baby, what are you going to do now, bitch a little more.
The only thing I care about is Mac users installing this correctly. F**K that site. How much longer do you think that info would have remained on that site. Dozens of places pointed to that information.

Now STFU and go away.
Oh you 'care', eh motherf*cker? Why didn't you
a. Post the correct instructions (found out by trial and error on said site)
b. post them without linking to MSJ?

This was not for general distribution, but morons like you just don't understand that, do you? Guess we'll just have to take our research and distros private from now on.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
change permissions of the destination folder to "read & write"; you'll need you admin password...
Please don't.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Oh you 'care', eh motherf*cker? Why didn't you
a. Post the correct instructions (found out by trial and error on said site)
b. post them without linking to MSJ?

This was not for general distribution, but morons like you just don't understand that, do you? Guess we'll just have to take our research and distros private from now on.

OMG....NO....Front Row it's gone forever!!!! My life is ruined!!1oneELEVEN!

Listen you low class dirtbag. There's not a damn thing you can do about any of this so why don't you close your mouth and go and see if you can find something more productive to do with your time.

Swing by and bitch at the people over at digg.com also. Don't forget to puff your chest out at them also. Bye erik( Your mother did you foul with a name like that...lol) . Don't forget to get your mother to change your diapers for you, it seems you need a changing from all the crying you're doing.

Little bitch.
( Last edited by Ratm; Oct 26, 2005 at 01:48 AM. )

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 01:37 AM

wow.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules