Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > bottom housing

bottom housing
caifara
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 05:02 PM

hi, I want to change my hd so I have to open the bottom case of my iMac. It seems I have to use a lot of power to open it and I'm scared to break something. Is it normal I have to pull the thing that hard or am I doing something wrong.
-c
-c

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by caifara:
<STRONG>hi, I want to change my hd so I have to open the bottom case of my iMac. It seems I have to use a lot of power to open it and I'm scared to break something. Is it normal I have to pull the thing that hard or am I doing something wrong.
-c</STRONG>
I forget which iMac you have, but yes, it does take a fair amount of force to remove the iMac bottom shell.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

caifara  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 03:18 AM

vmarks, I have a 350 Mhz Imac (indigo) and I broke a little plastic thing that used to hold a clip of the bottom case. Damn
-c
-c

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2001, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by caifara:
<STRONG>vmarks, I have a 350 Mhz Imac (indigo) and I broke a little plastic thing that used to hold a clip of the bottom case. Damn
-c</STRONG>
Caifara, I'm really sorry you broke a clip. Here are the instructions from Apple on how to remove and replace the bottom cover correctly:

1. Remove the two screws near the flip foot.
2. Using a plastic flatblade screwdriver, pry the VGA vented cover off the
bottom housing to access two more screws.
Note:
There are two service parts for the vented cover. One cover has an opening for the video out port, and the other cover does not.
3. Remove the video out access door from the bottom housing.
4. Remove the two outer screws located near the video out port.
Note:
The bottom housing uses two sizes of screws. The two shorter
screws attach near the flip foot.
5. Lift the bottom housing from the computer. (Victor's Note: one hand on the flip foot, one hand on the back of the computer, lifting off with the hand that's on top first.)
Replacement Caution:
Align the three tabs on the bottom housing with the tab slots on the front
outer bezel. Ensure that the center tab is properly aligned or CDs and DVD discs may not eject from the slot.
7. Lower the bottom housing into place and replace the screws.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules