Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you own any movies on UMD ?

Do you own any movies on UMD ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2006, 09:55 PM

Just out of curiousity, does anyone here own any movies on UMD (for the PSP) ? if so how many ?

Last i heard the format was taking off, with reports that movies were selling really well. but the latest reports seem to contradict that. Anyway, im just curious to know if anyone here owns any.

My personal opinion....if the PSP had the built in ability to be hooked upto a TV (ala iPod), getting movies on UMD would have made more sence.

Cheers

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 09:57 PM

Nope, don't own one. Do you think the kiss of death for the format is Wal Mart's dropping of the product?

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2006, 09:59 PM

No. I don't have a PSP either, but if I did I wouldn't get UMD movies for it. If I want to watch movies outside my own home, I'll use a portable DVD player to do it. It seems silly to buy movies you'd only be able to use on one device.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2006, 12:34 AM

I have Pulp Fiction, The Family Guy Movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Snatch on UMD. I don't watch them all that often, but they are pretty handy when the situation arises that they are all there is to do.

I loaned my PSP to a friend when he was in the hospital. He loved the movies.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hmmm. so there's one person here wo owns movies on this format ? kinda obvious why the format is going belly-up soon. So much for the PSP's 'Movie' functionality.

So...strike one games(too few)....strike two movies(almost no one wants em).....strike three music (iPod owns that space).

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 2, 2006 at 11:12 AM. )

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 11:28 AM

I got three copies of the complementary Spider Man 2 that you'd get free by registering your PSP at the (European) site.

Because of the crap UI in the registering form, I ended up hitting the 'Register now...' button three times before I found the 'Submit' one (or something to that effect)

I use the PSP mainly to read stuff, it's such a damn good screen. TV shows, too.

J

ambush
Banned
Apr 2, 2006, 11:49 AM

**** the psp, i sold mine.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 12:17 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but can't you simply rip your movie to a 2GB sony stick? If I were to buy one, that's probably the way I would go... buy 1 or 2 of them and simply install the movie of the day.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Forgive my ignorance, but can't you simply rip your movie to a 2GB sony stick? If I were to buy one, that's probably the way I would go... buy 1 or 2 of them and simply install the movie of the day.
yup, that's the way to go. don't have to pay again for movies you already own, doesn't really take that long, and you can fit about 2.5-3 hours on a 1GB memory stick.

"I start fires!"

Super Mario
Apr 2, 2006, 12:44 PM

Spiderman 2. Why would I stop playing GTA to watch a movie when I am busy killing lots of people?
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 04:25 PM. )

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 12:47 PM

Just Spiderman which came free with my unit. I would buy more but they are priced waaaay to high. I just rip my dvd's to memorystick and watch it that way.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 12:59 PM

I've got the SpiderMan that it came with (never watched it). I've also got Spongebob season 1 for my daughter to watch when I want to keep her occupied (life at the doctors office). She's watched it a few times.

I've also rented a few UMD movies for sitting on the plane.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Just Spiderman which came free with my unit. I would buy more but they are priced waaaay to high. I just rip my dvd's to memorystick and watch it that way.
You buy a lower quality movie for more money... in a format that is only for a device.

Perhaps Sony did it so that they could justify the video feature and not get sued by the movie companies.

It is going to be very interesting to see where Apple prices their movie downloads. If the quality is the same as the TV shows, anything more than $3-$5 is too much.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
I've got the SpiderMan that it came with (never watched it). I've also got Spongebob season 1 for my daughter to watch when I want to keep her occupied (life at the doctors office). She's watched it a few times.

I've also rented a few UMD movies for sitting on the plane.
Where do you rent them?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:08 PM

Where do you rent them?
GameFly is good for games and movies. Much cheaper than paying full price for games i usually only play for a few weeks, anyway.

"I start fires!"

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 01:14 PM

You buy a lower quality movie for more money... in a format that is only for a device.
Actually I don't remember saying I bought any at all.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 07:22 AM

I have the Spiderman 2 freebie, Hellboy, Akira and Transformers. I watched Hellboy the other night and its a good quality picture.

Transformers is a waste on UMD, because of the quality of the original film, you may as well rip a DVD to the memory stick (I'm glad I paid £10 on offer for it and not full price!), I did this and there is very little difference in the picture between the two. I'm guessing that it would be the same for Akira or any old cartoon or anime.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 08:51 AM

Where do you rent them?
In Canada, there is a chain called Rogers Video that rents UMD. Probably won't be renting them for much longer though.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 11:43 AM

I find the picture quality of the disks is very good. I never watch the stupid extras on DVD anyway.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Hmmm. so there's one person here wo owns movies on this format ? kinda obvious why the format is going belly-up soon. So much for the PSP's 'Movie' functionality.

So...strike one games(too few)....strike two movies(almost no one wants em).....strike three music (iPod owns that space).

Cheers
Wow, aren't you rather short-sighted?

Games - Too few? Wrong. There are LOTS of games for the PSP. I have about 18 myself, which is DOUBLE what I have for the DS.

Movies - Agreed, this was botched by the terribly high price of the UMD movies. However, the quality of these movies is by far the best you can get on any handheld platform, and the screen is gorgeous. If they lowered the price of the movies on UMD, I would have picked up more than one. Let's see how successful these even dumber-looking Nintendo handheld movies are.

Music - Nobody said that the PSP was soley a music machine; I have a lot of "staple" songs on my memory stick that I listen to quite often.

You're looking at this all wrong, as if to say "well, the PSP isn't the iPod killer it was supposed to be so it's a failure".

In fact, around here I still see more Nintendo Gameboy SPs than ANY other handheld device.

My impression of you is that you're the type of person that would see a stranger with a PSP and start berating them about having one.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 12:14 PM

I actually see quite a large number of people using the PSP as an MP3 player.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
That's cool. Since I carry my iPod wherever I go, I usually use that, but there are times when I just have my PSP so that's why I have my "staple" tunes.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 12:35 PM

My sisters boyfriend uses it for everything. Always has some games on him, watches movies and MP3's.

Personally I use it for games and web browsing.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 12:38 PM

I've never seen anyone use it for MP3's. Even the PSP users I know still use their G1 iPods over the PSP.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I've never seen anyone use it for MP3's. Even the PSP users I know still use their G1 iPods over the PSP.
You know PSP users? I thought you would have ridiculed them and striken them from your address book.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 12:45 PM

Well if you haven't seen it then nobody must use it

Personally I don't use it for MP3's when I have a Nano but I don't mind paying for both. Many people don't want to spend the money on 2 devices.

Didn't you have to save for a year for your DS?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 12:46 PM

Well if you haven't seen it then nobody must use it

Personally I don't use it for MP3's when I have a Nano but I don't mind paying for both. Many people don't want to spend the money on 2 devices.

Didn't you have to save for a year for your DS?
No, I bought a DS when Mario Kart came out. I believe I had to save for a month which just happens to be the time in between pay checks. That would make it not really saving, would it?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 12:52 PM

No, I bought a DS when Mario Kart came out. I believe I had to save for a month which just happens to be the time in between pay checks. That would make it not really saving, would it?

Do some research and come back when you are a bit more educated and not in fanboy mode.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 01:00 PM

Do some research and come back when you are a bit more educated and not in fanboy mode.
Research about my paycheck that I'm a fanboy of?

Ummmm...

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Actually I don't remember saying I bought any at all.
I meant You as in people that buy UMD movies...

I never meant to incinerate that you buy such movies.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:37 PM

I see people using it on the subway all the time! Most of the time for movies/games, but I've seen people pull them out and switch songs. I'm guessing you don't see them because like the iPod, you usually tuck them away in your jacket.

Regarding the DS, I hardly see anyone with them. Maybe 5-7 in the past month as compared to 20-30 PSPs.

I think the Video capabilities of the PSP make it a much more interesting alternative.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:48 PM

Personally I use it for games and web browsing.
How is the web browsing? How do you input URLs? It can't be any worse than a phone... or can it?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2006, 02:55 PM

It's better than a phone. It has on-screen buttons for usual things like http:// and .com

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 02:56 PM

How is the web browsing? How do you input URLs? It can't be any worse than a phone... or can it?
The web browsing is great, the screen is huge so it is much better than a cellphone. You also use Wi-fi and not some expensive data plan.

You input URL's with an onscreen keyboard but once you bookmark all your sites it isn't such a bother.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:59 PM

How is the video? Give me some pros and cons... I'm almost sold on one... Also, how is the battery life?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2006, 03:03 PM

Browsing is fine, text input sucks. Text is input in much the same way as a cell phone; you have a digital representation of a cell phone number pad which you navigate using the directional pad. The result is worse than using a phone. However, I rarely need to input text (only really once when I tried to write a email). Now, I mostly just go to my Delicious bookmarks.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 12:44 AM

What is the video like... I'm guessing better than the iPod?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2006, 06:15 AM

iPod video : watch on your iPod or on a TV or on your computer when plugged in.
PSP video : watch on your PSP

Thats my opinion though.

as2
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 06:39 AM

I've got the free Spiderman 2 UMD, and got The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy for £5 in a sale somewhere.

I mainly use my PSP as a remote for my airtunes!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
iPod video : watch on your iPod or on a TV or on your computer when plugged in.
PSP video : watch on your PSP

Thats my opinion though.
The problem with iPod video is that the video is awful when you watch it on a TV.

With the PSP, the screen is big enough so that you don't need to hook it up to a TV in the first place.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by as2
I've got the free Spiderman 2 UMD, and got The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy for £5 in a sale somewhere.

I mainly use my PSP as a remote for my airtunes!
What do you use to control that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules