Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Opinions on iMac

Opinions on iMac
alphabravo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 06:10 PM

I am considering an iMac for my new desktop, which would be a real switch for me because I have always used a PC.

I especially like the design of the iMac, especially since it has no tower (hard drive, etc. is contained in the monitor). And the customizable options Apple.com offers are pretty sweet.

But I am wondering if anyone using an iMac has had any issues with their computer? For example, has an iMac owner experienced monitor issues? Does the monitor heat up significantly? Are there design issues other iMac users find problematic?

Thanks

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2006, 06:15 PM

I haven't had one problem hardware wise with my 20" iMac. It's absolutely flawless. It's virtually silent (silent compared to my old HP PC). It doesn't let off a lot of heat (not enough for any high fans to come on anyways). It's ULTRA fast, CPU and Graphics wise. And there isn't a single dead pixel anywhere to be seen.

To sum up the iMac: Huge beautiful LCD screen, Dual-Core CPU, Large HD, built in webcam, built in bluetooth, built in WIFI, great graphics, lots of ports, mighty mouse. Not to mention it's sleek and stylish. Honestly what more could one want? (other than 1 GB standard RAM module )

I LOVE IT!

Only issue I have with my iMac is that the screen is so damned huge it takes up most of my desk!

YMMV though.
( Last edited by kmkkid; Aug 30, 2006 at 06:21 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2006, 06:57 PM

The iMac has a great design, I don't find anything wrong with it, but more USB ports would be nice. Don't get a rev A G5 though, they are crazy loud. Some of the 20" rev As though are quieter. However, it still isn't as loud as some PCs. I guess it just bothers some people.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 07:05 PM

Not a single problem with my 17" iMac. I love it. If you make the switch you won't be sorry. I did 5 years ago, and I haven't once thought of going back.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 03:43 AM

Rev A iMac G5s had some logicboard problems, but not too nasty, the rest of them seem to be fine. The iMac Dore Duos don't seem to have developed any major issues as of yet.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 11:44 AM

my 20" G5 is the ****. my sister and her husbands 17" Core Duo is also awesome. If you really want to blow yourself away even further do a RAM upgrade (although not through apple. save money, get 3rd party).

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 01:49 PM

Best computer I've ever owned (20" iMac CoreDuo with 2G RAM). Period. By far. And I've owned plenty of Macs and PCs...

brokenbells
Aug 31, 2006, 02:00 PM

I am the envy of my neighbourhood. Theres not a thing that my machine cannot do, and all preloaded !!!

If there might be a program i may want to use which is not preloaded, then just google and voila....
Vikram
-------
Dont worry that today is the last day of the world, its already tomorrow in Australia....

alphabravo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 08:01 PM

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. Thank you.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 08:39 PM

I'd wait until Sept 12th. Undoubtedly new iMacs coming out then. Only a 7 day wait anyway!
Linkinus is king.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
I'd wait until Sept 12th. Undoubtedly new iMacs coming out then. Only a 7 day wait anyway!
Oh, well. I just bought a BTO iMac with the extra VRAM, so I guess I lose out. But you know, it's not really a big deal. I can actually upgrade the processor at some future date, so while I would have been nice to get whatever enhancements are forthcoming, I'll live.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 12:13 AM

You have ten days from the date of receipt to trade it in for a newer model, so if something happens on the 12th, you're good to go.
Linkinus is king.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 12:46 AM

Oops, bought mine in late August, but oh well. I really stretched my budget getting it (ie now in debt), but I doubt any new updates will be anything more than extra lust factor.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 12:48 AM

Cancel it, jamil, unless you really need it. What's the estimated ship date?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 08:29 AM

If it's the 12th, that doesn't help me because:
  1. I received my iMac on Sept. 28th;
  2. It's a build-to-order machine (boosted the VRAM);
I suppose I could have waited but I really needed a new machine (my G4 450MHz AGP Graphics was getting really long in the tooth). Them's the breaks.

EDIT: I had some good luck. Apple says they are allowing returns for upgrade of iMacs shipped on or after September 23, and mine was ordered on the 20th, shipped Sept. 24th, and delivered on the 28th, so I'm just barely in the window. So, minus the cost of return shipping, I'll be getting the new iMac with the Core2Duo chip. Excellent!
( Last edited by selowitch; Sep 6, 2006 at 01:32 PM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 07:03 PM

Awesome!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules