Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installers read my HD as 2 gb!

Installers read my HD as 2 gb!
Slc57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 10:49 PM

Every installer says my HD has 2 gb avilable. When the window and profiler say I have 4.66! I can not install many things because of this.. Please help me... It is not the installers because they work on other computers.

------------------
Alex Cuter
Alex Cuter

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 24, 2001, 02:50 PM

what are you installing that is larger than 2 gb?

NBK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2001, 03:02 PM

Well, installers mostly say stuff like this: "> 2GB available", but I have never had problems with it!

Camelot
Mac Elite
May 26, 2001, 01:24 AM

Earlier versions of the MacOS (like many OS's) have a 2GB file size limit.. that is you can't write any file larger than 2gb. The problem relates to various file-handling routines that can't handle large numbers.

Apple revised the OS and removed the limit in OS 9.x when using HFS+ volumes, so it's now powssible to use files larger than 2gb.

Unfortunately, older apps aren't necessarily aware of the change and still enforce the 2GB limit. This is why the installer reports 2GB as the available size.

It shouldn't be a problem because it's unlikely that the files you're installing are greater than 2gb... in fact, it's impossible since the version of the installer you're using wouldn't support it anyway.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules