Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook doesn't recognize new hard drive

MacBook doesn't recognize new hard drive
Steve McQueen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 06:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I just received a new hard drive in the mail, and after installing it in my MacBook, and rebooting to the install cd, when I get to the select destination drive screen, the drive doesn't appear.

I'm trying to replace the original 80GB Toshiba with a larger drive. I wanted to stay with the same brand, because I've had good luck with Toshiba in the past. The new drive is the 160GB MK1637GSX.

Thankfully, pulling and replacing the drive is a snap, so I'm not out any time. But, now I either need to return it for a 120GB Toshiba or a 160GB Hitachi. Probably go with the Toshiba, but I wish I could keep that extra 40GB of space.

Anyone know why the 160GB Toshiba is a no show?

TIA,

Xarthan
Feb 13, 2007, 06:42 PM

yeah i had that problem too when i got my 160 drive. what i did was hook it up to an external enclosure via USB and created a new parition in disk utility and that worked fine after that.

there's prob an easier method, but that's how i got mine working.
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

ibook_steve
Feb 13, 2007, 08:15 PM

This is a stupid question, but just to make sure: have you formatted the drive in Disk Utility from the install disk? You can't install to an unformatted drive.

Steve

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2007, 08:23 PM

I think a brand new drive is going to arrive without any format nor operating system. When you booted off of the Install DVD did you choose Utilities from the menu bar --> Disk Utility? You probably need to format the drive, then run the installer.

Steve McQueen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

ummm... it's been awhile and I forgot to initialize the drive. Then, when it did show up, the installer gave this error:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume."

So, I looked that up I had to follow this guideline:

An Intel-based Mac can only install Mac OS X on a disk with the "GUID_partition_scheme."

Installing right now... thanks again!!

Chaoticjoe
Feb 14, 2007, 11:20 PM

Good for you. Where'd you order that HD anyway?
Hey...

Xarthan
Feb 15, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I think a brand new drive is going to arrive without any format nor operating system. When you booted off of the Install DVD did you choose Utilities from the menu bar --> Disk Utility? You probably need to format the drive, then run the installer.
oh yeah forgot u could run disk utility off the install dvd. well no need for an external enclsoure then!
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules