Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will 1gb Ram make a diff?

Will 1gb Ram make a diff?
maccrack
Apr 2, 2007, 03:04 PM

i have a ibook with 1.07ghz 256mb of ram 30gb hd will the 1gb ram make a huge differnece or is that over kill, and would i be wasing my money? will the preccesor be able to keep up with all that ram?
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 03:15 PM

This is a common question around these forums. Depends what you'll be doing on the computer. For normal use, a 512MB upgrade should be enough, but if an extra $50 isn't a big deal, or you expect to be using the machine for a long time, the 1GB may not be a bad idea either.

maccrack  (op)
Apr 2, 2007, 03:27 PM

will the processor be able to keep up with the 1 gb?
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 03:33 PM

my 1.33GHz ibook has 1.25GB and I noticed a huge increase in speed.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 03:55 PM

You will notice a speed difference, for sure. Whether it is worth going to 1gb over 512 depends on what you're doing. The processor will have no problem with it.

Chaoticjoe
Apr 2, 2007, 07:53 PM

You can never have too much RAM. That's my philosophy. Although there is such thing as overkill. Speaking of which, how much RAM will be recommended for Leopard? I was thinking of getting an MB with 2 Gigs when it comes out.
Hey...

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 10:38 AM

I might be worth checking out the pagein/pageouts in the activity monitor (after youve been running your mac for a while)!!!

If your getting lots of page outs then u need more RAM because your mac is paging, if not i doubt it would make a difference although im happy to be corrected!!!!

If the RAM is cheap enough and you have the money i guess you might as well! (or buy a new macbook)
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by richardwigley View Post
I might be worth checking out the pagein/pageouts in the activity monitor (after youve been running your mac for a while)!!!

If your getting lots of page outs then u need more RAM because your mac is paging, if not i doubt it would make a difference although im happy to be corrected!!!!

If the RAM is cheap enough and you have the money i guess you might as well! (or buy a new macbook)
That's right - ideally the sweet spot is enough not to page in and out in normal use. more will give diminishing returns, less will slow the machine down.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 01:15 PM

I second richardwigley's comment: Pageins are where the system writes inactive (not currently in use) data from memory to disk. Pageouts are where that data (virtual memory pages) are read out from the disk into memory. So long as the inactive data being written is never read back (paged into memory), you're not 'swapping' (exchanging one chunk of necessary memory for another).

So in short, a high number of pageouts is a good indication that your system will benefit from additional RAM.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 02:26 PM

But will the processor be able to keep up with the 1 gb?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2007, 03:24 PM

Of course. There's no 'keeping up' to do - it's just more space to keep things in, so less work moving things around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules