Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a smart phone (not the iPhone)

Looking for a smart phone (not the iPhone)
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 01:03 AM

I am in the market for a smartphone that will be used almost entirely for emailing... I played around with both the new Treo and the PPC-6800 today and I *really* liked the PPC-6800, but I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with one that they have liked a lot. I liked the PPC-6800 because it had a nice large slide-out keyboard, a super-quick change from vertical to horizontal layout, a larger screen than the others I have been looking at, modem connection to give your computer internet access from anywhere (in addition to bluetooth), and wi-fi connectivity. I am not particulaly interested in the iPhone (too expensive, don't want the onscreen keyboard, don't want AT&T, don't want to pay more for my phone than my computer).

So, what have you guys used, what's good about it, and what don't you like about it?
( Last edited by torsoboy; Jul 21, 2007 at 01:16 AM. )

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 01:33 AM

I got a Blackjack I'll sell you. It's in mint condition. I believe it's a little more than a standard smart phone since you can connect it to your laptop via bluetooth and 3G data to your laptop.

It also has a lot of features.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2007, 01:36 AM

I quite like my Blackjack, don't know if it'd fit your bill. I've got mine set to check email every 10 minutes or so, that figure can be changed to as often as 1 minute I think. The keypad is nice, it's borrowed from the Blackberry IIRC.

I've used a couple of the HTC sliding QWERTY phones, they're just too big for me. My Blackjack is super thin(at least when it's not wearing it's extended battery).
ice

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 12:44 PM

I head the blackjack is **** slow, no touchscreen and ass for battery.

On the plus side it runs windows mobile. Wait that's not a plus.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2007, 12:53 PM

BLACKBERRY CURVE! Or, if you don't mind the "unique" keyboard, the Pearl.

I've used both (haven't owned one), and loved the feel and look of them. My friends that own them are really, really pleased with them as well.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2007, 10:16 PM

I have 3 users I support that I have purchased Blackjacks for instead of Blackberrys.

They all love them.

I love them too. Easier keyboard, more features, better OS (even though it's windows based)...(ducking for lightening strikes)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 3, 2007, 01:43 AM

yeah I am pleased with the performance of my phone. 2GB card also for like $25.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules