Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Magic Mouse Not Talking to Mac Tower

Magic Mouse Not Talking to Mac Tower
Geoff
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2010, 02:52 PM

Hi

My new Bluetooth Magic Mouse cannot be found by the Mouse Preferences on my Tower. Bluetooth recognizes it and I have a very basic function with it but the device cannot be found on the Mouse Preferences Panel.

This mouse was first configured to our laptop while traveling and then I am trying to switch it over to the Tower. I have shut off everything I can think of on the MBP setup and cannot get it to talk to the Preferences panel at all on the tower.

I have also removed the batteries from the mouse for a few minutes and tried again. Same results.

Please help! Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Jul 17, 2010, 03:36 PM

What OS version are you running on the tower? Apple says it needs 10.5.8 with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 minimum.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2010, 04:23 PM

I am running 10.6 and how do I find the s/w update? I just did a full software update after being away from the machine for 2 months

Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Jul 17, 2010, 07:10 PM

Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0

It says 10.5.8 as the minimum, but the Apple Store page for the Magic Mouse also mentions this update for 10.6

The box your Magic Mouse came in should have a CD with the driver too.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The box your Magic Mouse came in should have a CD with the driver too.
There is no disk with the Magic Mouse. The box for it is barely bigger than the mouse itself.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2010, 08:26 PM

Right - NO room for a CD in that box.

I have dl'd the s/w and was told it was out of date compared to what I already had so I must presume it came in a general software update

No change in the condition though and very puzzled to be sure. Not to mention buying this mouse while on holiday 5000 miles away and to get back and not have it work with the tower is a bit challenging!

Hope someone has an answer.

Thanks

reader50
Administrator
Jul 17, 2010, 10:36 PM

Create a fresh user account, try it there. Long shot, but easy to check.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2010, 11:32 PM

I might be getting closer but not sure. I now start to set up the Magic Mouse, it is discovered in the Mouse preferences panel, then says it is 'connecting' but after a few seconds it just flips back to the other setup screen for the USB mouse.

Color me very confused and a bit frustrated at the moment

Do you know of a way to 'unpair' a BT mouse so I can go double check it on the MBP machine too?

Thanks a lot

ibook_steve
Jul 18, 2010, 12:24 AM

I don't have a Magic Mouse, but if it gets paired like a standard Bluetooth mouse, go to the Bluetooth preferences and first remove it from the list of devices on the left.

Then, turn on Discoverable and click the + sign under the device list to try to find the mouse from scratch.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 18, 2010, 07:18 AM

What ibook_steve said is correct. Just delete the current entry for your mouse, wait a few minutes (I always let changes settle in for a few minutes) then have the Mac discover the mouse.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
This mouse was first configured to our laptop while traveling and then I am trying to switch it over to the Tower. I have shut off everything I can think of on the MBP setup and cannot get it to talk to the Preferences panel at all on the tower.
Have you actually removed it from the laptop BT list of devices?, I had to do that before getting the BT Mighty Mouse working with a different Mac. I guess it is safe to say the procedure for the Magic Mouse should be the same.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2010, 10:27 AM

Thank you all for these thoughts. No joy however after all that

It is paired, discovered, connected. PRAM reset, .plist deleted and device reference on the laptop cleaned out. In the Setup Bluetooth Mouse in the Mouse Pref panel it still gets as far as finding and connecting but always reverts back to the USB Mouse setup panel.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks a lot

Geoff

-Q-
Jul 18, 2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Create a fresh user account, try it there. Long shot, but easy to check.
Out of curiosity, had you tried this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules