Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Want to replace Blackberry, Should I wait?

Want to replace Blackberry, Should I wait?
rbkhockey83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2011, 12:08 AM

Hi guys. I have a Blackberry Tour (on Verizon) and it's getting really annoying. I'm eligible to upgrade right now. The White iPhone comes out today and I really want to buy it, but we don't know how long until the iPhone 5 comes out. It seems like not for a while because they just released the white version, but if the iPhone 5 did come out soon I'd be pissed. The other option is to get the Thunderbolt, I know this is an Apple forum, but it's the only Verizon 4g phone right now and I heard Apple won't be able to get 4g chips until next year.

What would you guys do?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2011, 01:50 AM

4G means bad coverage and completely useless battery life.

The iPhone 4 is available now, and is no less an iPhone than whatever may be made available six months from now, or a year from now, or whenever.

rbkhockey83  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
4G means bad coverage and completely useless battery life.

The iPhone 4 is available now, and is no less an iPhone than whatever may be made available six months from now, or a year from now, or whenever.
Yeah I guess your right. The droids also come with so much bloatware, and seem laggy.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2011, 09:44 PM

The new iPhone 5 is rumored to have a 2 core processor. Is that not more of an iPhone than the 4?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2011, 01:30 AM

The fact that it doesn't exist handily counteracts that notion.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2011, 02:01 AM

Which is to say, given the choice of being stuck with an iPhone 4 for two years, until I can upgrade to whatever is current then, and being stuck with a dingbat that's already started to become really annoying for maybe five months, maybe longer, while waiting for a (as yet) fictional future device, I know what I would do.

YMMV.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2011, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by rbkhockey83 View Post
What would you guys do?
I would get the white iPhone 4.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2011, 05:31 AM

If you're going to be disappointed by the iPhone 5 coming out within the next six months, wait. If you don't care about not having the latest iPhone then get the iPhone 4. I'm personally not crazy about the idea of paying top dollar for last year's tech, but not everyone cares about that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2011, 11:10 AM

I'd wait for iPhone 5 rather than buying iPhone 4 10+ months after release. iPhone 5 is likely only a few months away, although I don't think it will be 4G LTE.

If your #1 priority is network speed and you live in one of the coverage areas, the HTC Thunderbolt is a good idea. Otherwise look toward the other 3G Droids.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 04:10 PM

I'd go with the iPhone 4 now. I was in this same sort of dilemma. My rationalization was that the next iPhone probably won't go on sale until September at the earliest, so that's 5 months of waiting right there. It's pretty widely thought that there won't be any sort of major re-design and it won't have 4g, so it's really a hardware speed upgrade and a new version of iOS I assume (and maybe more, but who knows). I'm guessing the iPhone AFTER this next one will have 4g and will see some sort of re-design. I would suggest getting an iPhone 4 now and skipping the "iPhone 5" and wait until the "iPhone 6" to make the next upgrade. That's my plan anyway!
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
May 24, 2011, 04:09 PM

iPhone 4 is so old now. I would definitely consider waiting for the iPhone 5, even though it might take a couple of months to come out. There can always be rumors, but at the end of the day, a rumor is still only a rumor.

I would also think about getting the Droid Charge if you are considering the HTC Thunderbolt. I'm not saying that the Samsung Droid Charge has amazing battery life, but HTC is known to have some horrible battery life. Also the Charge is a direct competitor to the HTC Thunderbolt and it is a lot newer with the same 4G capabilities.

Sosa
Senior User
May 31, 2011, 10:37 AM

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I would be buying two phones, and I hate the idea of paying $400 for year old iPhones 4. I could get refurbished ones for $300, but I'm leaning towards waiting for the release of the iPhone 4S so I can pick up the original 4s for hopefully $99.

I'm not tempted at all by the droids, but the Blackberry Pearl's can be purchased new for $49 each. That I am considering. What's the thought here on those BBs?
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2011, 11:53 AM

I don't think RIM have a clue where they're taking the platform.

I'd wait.

iOS 5 will be demoed on Monday. That should be interesting.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
I'm not tempted at all by the droids, but the Blackberry Pearl's can be purchased new for $49 each. That I am considering. What's the thought here on those BBs?
You'd rather have a Pearl than a year-old iPhone? The Pearl is quite a terrible device (I'm hesitant to even call it a smartphone).

Sosa
Senior User
May 31, 2011, 12:22 PM

Really? CNet gave the Blackberry Pearl 9100 a good review. One positive aspect is its small size. BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

PsychoChris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2011, 06:49 AM

I woul wait for the iPhone 5. Although iPhone 4 is a great phone

cants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2011, 04:57 AM

I would wait for the Iphone 5 if i were you...
Just a macnn newbie

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2011, 07:57 PM

I'm waiting. Don't like too, but I think the next upgrade will be significant, and I believe that iOS 5 is also being made to address the greater capabilities of the 5.

AccessoryGeeks
Banned
Jun 15, 2011, 01:11 PM

I would try and purchase a new battery for you Blackberry and wait for the phone you really want. In this case it seems like you are eying the iPhone 5.

estherkim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2011, 12:36 PM

i would wait for the iphone 5..
im in a similar situation.. my bb is like dyinggg and im SO tempted to buy the white iphone 4
but i decided to wait for the iphone 5

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 21, 2011, 05:17 PM

After reading that the iPhone 5 will not be available until September, I decided to pick up two refurbished iPhone 4s from ATT for under $250 will all charges included. I need the phone over the summer and don't want to wait another 3 months.
Join Team MacNN.

estherkim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2011, 02:53 PM

i really hope the iphone 5 has the metal back..
my brother has the white iphone 4 rn.. and he alrdy has scratches :/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 03:04 PM

So you want metal, because, um, glass is too soft and scratches.

You're in for a big surprise.

estherkim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2011, 11:51 AM

So you want metal, because, um, glass is too soft and scratches.

You're in for a big surprise.
why.. is the glass more durable than i think?

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 26, 2011, 06:33 PM

Damn, those two refurbished iPhones I odered from ATT are out of stock! No way I'm paying $200 for last year's model!
Join Team MacNN.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by estherkim View Post
why.. is the glass more durable than i think?
Compared to metal, it's much more scratch resistant.
However, glass fares worse in high-impact situations (e.g. dropping it on hard surface).

-t

estherkim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Compared to metal, it's much more scratch resistant.
However, glass fares worse in high-impact situations (e.g. dropping it on hard surface).

-t
the thing i'm most scared about is dropping the iphone with the glass back..
i can already see the small fissures and cracks -__-
already went through that with the LG chocolate a couple of years back

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2011, 12:18 PM

Then get a protective case.

-t

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 2, 2011, 09:39 AM

Well I got the iPhones, quite nice, however it won't sync with my iTunes 9.1! Now also need a new Mac. :-(
Join Team MacNN.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2011, 12:05 PM

Well I got the iPhones, quite nice, however it won't sync with my iTunes 9.1! Now also need a new Mac. :-(
Your 15" 1.67 G4 can run 10.5.8 which means that you can run iTunes 10.1--I don't think you need new hardware?

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 2, 2011, 01:58 PM

Just Need to Find a copy of the installation cds. Anyone?
Join Team MacNN.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 02:34 PM

... it won't sync with my iTunes 9.1! Now also need a new Mac. :-(
Apple's pretty sneaky about using one product to force upgrades in another.

Interestingly, a 10 year old Windows box is still capable of installing and running the latest version of iTunes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Interestingly, a 10 year old Windows box is still capable of installing and running the latest version of iTunes.
But is it usable ?

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But is it usable ?

-t
Barely. But, the point is that in the case of iTunes on Windows, Apple leaves the decision about whether or not to upgrade to the consumer rather than forced by Apple.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2011, 10:47 PM

a.) That's because Apple explicitly does not want to control the experience on Windows, as that's what they sell Macs for, and

b.) The only reason Apple leaves this "choice" (of using iTunes on Windows XP) up to the consumer is because Microsoft didn't get their ****ing asses in gear and release a useful successor to XP until less than two years ago, in October 2009. The Mac version requires Leopard, which was released in October 2007.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2011, 11:05 PM

a.) That's because Apple explicitly does not want to control the experience on Windows, as that's what they sell Macs for, and

b.) The only reason Apple leaves this "choice" (of using iTunes on Windows XP) up to the consumer is because Microsoft didn't get their ****ing asses in gear and release a useful successor to XP until less than two years ago, in October 2009. The Mac version requires Leopard, which was released in October 2007.
Point being, iTunes doesn't likely "require" Leopard for performance reasons. I'm certain it would run acceptably under 10.5. There's really no reason why an application such as iTunes needs the next-to-latest Mac OS if Apple can make it run perfectly fine on Microsoft's 12 year old piece of crap.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that Macs last too darn long and Apple has to look for creative ways to force people to upgrade. iPhones and their much shorter lifespan might be fitting the bill.

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 3, 2011, 01:22 AM

Yep, Macs do last long. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my almost 6 year old Powerbook for my normal activities. It sucks that I now have to invest in an OS upgrade or a new computer to sync my two new iPhones.
Join Team MacNN.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2011, 04:28 AM

Point being, iTunes doesn't likely "require" Leopard for performance reasons. I'm certain it would run acceptably under 10.5. There's really no reason why an application such as iTunes needs the next-to-latest Mac OS if Apple can make it run perfectly fine on Microsoft's 12 year old piece of crap..
Hang on - i just realized that 10.5 will also run - completely officially - on a July 2001 Quicksilver Power Mac. A G4 is also explicitly listed in the requirements. As well as 512 MB RAM.

That means that the latest version of iTunes will run on a ten-year-old Mac, and a nine-year-old (this November) PowerBook.

Holy backwards-compatibilty, Batman!

Sorry, but the point is completely moot. Supporting an ancient OS on hardware for which a perfectly viable more modern option exists is very different from supporting an OS which didn't have a viable successor until 18 months ago.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2011, 10:24 AM

Point being, iTunes doesn't likely "require" Leopard for performance reasons. I'm certain it would run acceptably under 10.5. There's really no reason why an application such as iTunes needs the next-to-latest Mac OS if Apple can make it run perfectly fine on Microsoft's 12 year old piece of crap.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that Macs last too darn long and Apple has to look for creative ways to force people to upgrade. iPhones and their much shorter lifespan might be fitting the bill.
Whoops ... meant to say 10.4, not 10.5

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2011, 10:27 AM

Hang on - i just realized that 10.5 will also run - completely officially - on a July 2001 Quicksilver Power Mac. A G4 is also explicitly listed in the requirements. As well as 512 MB RAM.

That means that the latest version of iTunes will run on a ten-year-old Mac, and a nine-year-old (this November) PowerBook.

Holy backwards-compatibilty, Batman!

Sorry, but the point is completely moot. Supporting an ancient OS on hardware for which a perfectly viable more modern option exists is very different from supporting an OS which didn't have a viable successor until 18 months ago.
Ok. I was wrong about how far back 10.5 was compatible. I didn't realize that it was G4 compatible. Out of curiousity, how well does 10.5 run on a G4?
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Jul 3, 2011 at 10:35 AM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2011, 06:59 PM

Ok. I was wrong about how far back 10.5 was compatible. I didn't realize that it was G4 compatible. Out of curiousity, how well does 10.5 run on a G4?
10.5.8 runs quite well on my 1.33 12" G4 with 1.25 GB RAM. Not a speed demon, but if you have fast broadband you won't be in the dumps. I upgraded to the latest iTunes on it, and have nothing to complain about.

OTOH, it's my backup laptop. But I really do miss the 12" form factor when I go back to my 15".

I remember upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5 on the 12" and didn't really see any speed difference...

Sosa
Senior User
Jul 5, 2011, 01:38 AM

Amazing any chance you could ship me guise 10.5 cds? I'll pay first and promise to ship them back!
Join Team MacNN.

Forum Links
Forum Rules