Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie Upgrade Disaster

iMovie Upgrade Disaster
Geoff
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2012, 04:15 PM

I have just updated the iMovie program and now the thing will not open!!!

It goes through a bunch of optimization stuff then pauses and then crashes.

Any suggestions on fixing this or backing out of the upgrade? I really need some of the footage in the files

Thanks a lot

Thorzdad
Jun 19, 2012, 04:34 PM

Do you have a recent backup you could restore from?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2012, 09:56 PM

iMovie crashes, right? If so, restart in Safe mode by holding the Shift key on boot, that should eliminate the update from the active system so it won't just start up again. Then restart as usual, and trash the upgrade. Your files should be intact. Back them up, as you should always do Then you may want to make sure the filesystem did not get screwed, so go here: AppleJack Project Page download and install Applejack. Then restart holding Command-S, you'll see lines of code flash by, when it stops you'll se Applejack, follow instructions and run options 1, 3, 4, 5. Not 2! It will tell you how to restart. You should be fine. Then re-download the upgrade, and after install, don't open a file, just open the app. If that works, you're good.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 05:32 AM

I'm pretty sure AppleJack has not been updated to work with Lion.

Geoff  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2012, 03:29 PM

Thank you all.

I use Time Machine so I guess it is a simple matter of recopying the App??

Will try the Safe Mode trick too and see where that goes; I don't doubt the actual files themselves are intact. Just damn disappointed with this happening just before we leave on a long holiday and need the footage to get some project info to others. Murphy is alive and well and seems to have snuck back into Apple a hitch!

Forum Links
Forum Rules