Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Appleworks to Numbers Issue

Appleworks to Numbers Issue
Sosa
Senior User
Sep 12, 2013, 03:46 PM

Hello,

I have an Appleworks spreadsheet document that I would like to open using Numbers but as it tries to convert the file it crashes. I get a small window showing a blue line filling as it tries to open and then the window disappears and nothing. The file is not large but important as it contains my employment history. I am able to open it with textedit but completely unformatted. Are there other options?

Thanks!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2013, 04:05 PM

What version of AW saved the file? Numbers may only be able to handle the last AW6 files. An AW5 spreadsheet might have to be resaved by AW6 before it could import.

Open and Save-as the file from AW with a modified name, choosing one of the Excel formats.

Sosa  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2013, 04:12 PM

Unfortunately I no longer have Appleworks around. Well I probably have the discs somewhere actually but I hear it doesn't run on Lion. It is strange though because I had two related files: Address History and Employment History. I was able to open and convert one to Numbers but not the other. I doubt they were different versions of Appleworks. Maybe one got corrupted somehow. I'm manually rewriting it now actually, as I need the information ASAP. I was hoping that there was some third party app out there that would read it instead of text edit.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2013, 04:46 PM

If you need it fast, import to Text Edit. Then copy / paste into Numbers and spend some time reformatting.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2013, 12:36 PM

If you send the file to me I'd be happy to convert it for you in AppleWorks 5.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules