Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Cardiogram heart monitoring app gets native Apple Watch support

Cardiogram heart monitoring app gets native Apple Watch support
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 10, 2016, 08:30 AM

Cardiogram, a popular Health-kit based iOS app has been updated to version 1.0 bringing with it a native Apple Watch companion app compatible with watchOS 2. Cardiogram has been built using Apple's HealthKit framework and has been developed to track user heart rates in order to both monitor general heart health, but also as part of two ongoing research projects designed to see assess the user generated data for signs of arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation, both potentially life threatening conditions.

The latest update allows Cardiogram owners with an Apple Watch to continue heart rate monitoring without being tethered to an iPhone, making it particularly handy for people who are out and about either jogging or walking. With a user watch face customized with the Cardiogram complication, user can also access their heart rate readings using Apple's watchOS 2 Time Travel mode, to get the heart rate over time with a simple glance. The upgraded iOS app has received a user interface upgrade that now includes more detailed activity statistics that have been graphed for ease of analysis. A new Metrics pane also integrates move, stand and exercise goals, while the developers have also leveraged the 3D Touch built into the iPhone 6s models allowing users to tag peak heart rates. Additional tweaks to the app include the ability to share data with friends over social networks as well as other UI tweaks like pinch-to-zoom.
Using the HealthKit framework, Cardiogram shares its data, with user permission, two major heart studies being undertaken in the US. The developers have collaborated with both the UCSF Health eHeart study and the MRhythm study, with both aimed at analysing crowd-sourced data for ways of detecting abnormal heart rhythms. The former is investigating whether regular consumer smartwatches can be used to reliably check for irregular heartbeats, while the latter utilized a sophisticated machine learning algorithm looking to detect signs of atrial fibrillation. Cardiogram is available free from the App Store and is compatible with iOS devices running iOS 9 or later.

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 09:30 AM

Unfortunately the app requires you to create an online account :-( I would have loved to share my anonymous data with researchers via HealthKit - but have no interest in sharing it "socially" (presumably that's what it requires the account for).

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

Unfortunately the app requires you to create an online account :-( I would have loved to share my anonymous data with researchers via HealthKit - but have no interest in sharing it "socially" (presumably that's what it requires the account for).

twolf2919
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 09:56 AM

To the developers of MacNN's posting system: it sucks. I posted my comment, went to a meeting, and came back and saw that my text was still in the "editor". Since my browser window was fairly small, I didn't see that my comment had posted - so I hit "Post Comment", thinking that I hadn't posted earlier. If you're going to leave the comment in place after successfully posting it (unlike any other system I'm familiar with), then at least disable the "Post Comment" button until someone enters text.

To everyone else: I apologize for the duplicate comment.

Vulpine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 11:47 AM

@two: While I understand your concerns, I don't think the account is "social". It is a data-collection app, I agree, but it could well detect a condition that would require them to contact you directly for your own health's sake. I'd rather they have at least one means of contacting you than them realizing you're having a heart attack and you not. I've seen and heard of many accounts where someone went to a doctor because they simply weren't "feeling well" only to be rushed to the hospital cardiology department in the throes of an 'event'.

Forum Links
Forum Rules