Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Its shipped!

Its shipped!
dacostad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 11:01 AM

FYI - I ordered from Apple on 1/10 and I just recieved an email saying that its shipped and giving me a Fedex tracking number.

For some reason Apple have marked it as a partial shipment although I only order the off the shelf PB and thats whats shipped.

David

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2001, 11:51 AM

I don't get it--they say they are shipping them out "first come, first serve." I ordered mine on the 9tyh and was told yesterday not to expect it to ship until mid-February.

Darick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 01:33 PM

I ordered mine on the 12th of january. I got my Fed Ex tracking number today as well.

Darick

Divx
Feb 3, 2001, 02:01 PM

I ordered mine on 1/12 - looked online 1/14 and whomever I talked to at apple screwed up the order - no airport card, 400 instead of 500, so i called and they couldn't modify the existing order, had to create a new one so my order is now 1/15 - which is still OK considering they didn't up the ship date till 1/17 - Keeping fingers crossed.

Kioskboy - what kind did you order? Ususally it depends on speed, hard drive size, ram size, then also how you paid for it - visa being fastest to process, then amex, discover, mastercard. Or the lovely instant apple loan...

------------------
Ti / 512mb / 20gig
15" Al 1 Ghz.2gb.80gb

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2001, 02:55 PM

I ordered a 500/20/256/Airport. If I had known adding an airport card meant BTO I would have done it myself and gotten it sooner. Still how hard is it to slap it in there? I oredered form the EDU store and paid with Mastercard. THis is my first time buying a computer online (I have purchased a Performa at Seares, and a POwermac 6100 and Powerbook 1400 through Macmall) and this is my first new mac in 4 years. I bought a Compaq for some unexplainied reason and now going back to mac . So I never dealt with Apple store before and didn't know what BTO was until recently. Like I said I could have put the airport card in myself and I would probably have it now.

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2001, 02:58 PM

BTW here is a cut-and-paste of my configuration from the Apple store order summary page. Does it look like a configuration that would be delayed?

CPU PBG4/500/256/20G/LL/AP Z02C00PNR $ 3,382.00 1 $ 3,382.00
500MHz G4 w/1MB cache 065-2390
256MB SDRAM/1 SO DIMM 065-2076
20GB Ultra ATA drive 065-2245
AirPort Card 065-2290
Keyboard 065-2485
Mac OS 065-2484
No items shipped.

[This message has been edited by kiskiboy (edited 02-03-2001).]

Trev
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 06:21 PM

Damn, this is ticking me off!!

All you guys getting your Ti's and I still don't have mine.

I ordered on the 10th through my employer (we're a reseller) and our distributors still don't have stock. I have that Apple ships to the APple Store customers first and leaves the dealers in the lurch...

Ingram's online system says Feb 10. It was moved from Jan 26 to Jan 30 and now Feb 10. I'll beleive it when I see it...

>
+++++++++++

Titanium X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 10:23 PM

It's 4 hours from Feb 4 now. The reseller I used still tells me Feb 5. If it doesn't ship Feb 5 I'm going to call them and go balistic on them .

I bought a mouse from Logitech. It's here. I bought a Sleeve Case from SFbags, it shipped yesterday. I have butterfly's in my stomach, I haven't been this excited since the first bondi iMac

greggers
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2001, 10:33 PM

the rage...the rage... i feel it....uh...aahhhhhhh.

OK. under crontrol.

I ordered mine the ninth (std. 400), an hour after the guy in the thread 'the ti has landed' and got an email a few days ago saying it would ship saturday. guess what day it is??

this is seriously affecting my work output here.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Just out for a drive.............

Divx
Feb 4, 2001, 01:57 AM

Kiski - yea that is a BTO and it will be delayed. If you ordered on 1/16 or sooner you should see it in 21 - 30 days. After putting a new HD and ram and an airport in my Pismo - I would much rather have the factory put it all in than me - I spent about 5 hours trying to get the pismo to start up after putting all that in and it was a nightmare believe me - notebook hardware being so much smaller is a lot more prone to human error.

------------------
Ti / 512mb / 20gig
15" Al 1 Ghz.2gb.80gb

latndude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 09:24 AM

In reference to Kiski configuration of his TiBook; I must assume by what he shows on the "final prize" he must have gotten it by using an Educational discount; mine ( ordered on 1/9/01 ; not here yet; was told that I might be getting it by the 20th ???of February; the Apple Store representative told me that they count "bussiness days" ; so even if I ordered it right when Steve Jobs was giving the final words of his speech at Mac World; I am not in the 21 days first promissed; but by by now I am used to this with Apple) anyhow; mine with almost exactly the same features except for a smaller 10 MB HD comes up costing $ 3.498 .00; so wowwww it pays to be in College ...good luck to you and the rest of us who ordered this beautiful machine .

[This message has been edited by latndude (edited 02-04-2001).]

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2001, 09:33 AM

you guys are complaining about the wait after the order
i wish i could be ordering one right now

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2001, 01:13 PM

Yup I am in college. I ordered it on the 9th, maybe 5 or 6 hours after the keynote. I didn't even get the email from Apple or anything
I have called 6 times, twice on friday and was told mid-Feb. I am a little upset, well more anxious I guess.

BTW through EDU store I got OSX for if I remember correctly, $69 (I didn't et beta so no $30 rebate).

Aykew
Feb 4, 2001, 03:21 PM

Kiski,
I don't know if they've improved matters, but when my wife (then my financee) ordered her original iBook (Tangerine, 300Mhz) right after the Summer keyboard through the education store, many, many people (probably mostly Apple store regular customers) started getting theirs around Mid september with no word from Apple.
On november 11, we went down to the local computer store just to have a look around and lo and behold: there was one just sitting there. For anyone to just walk in a buy. And they couldn't get her the one she ordered a couple hours after the keynote.

It was very frustrating...

It sounds like you are at least getting a little more response out of the Apple people than she did, so it sounds like they're improving a bit. I'd consider yourself lucky! Or at the very least, consider yourself glad that it doesn't sound like you're in the same boat. Good luck!

bmatiash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 04:48 PM

Ugh, this is the most frustrating process that I can remember. I ordered a stock PBG4/400/128/10 from the Apple EDU store about an hour after it was announed on the 9th. Since the 30th of January (remember the 21 day lead time that Apple kept promising to stick by?), I have been calling them and was told the same thing over and over: "It will ship by tomorrow." Then the email came... you will get your tracking number by Saturday. It is now Sunday. No tracking number.

Now according to two apple reps, it will be definitely shipping out tomorrow and I should have a confirmation by noon. Hmmm. Been there, done that. At least one of the reps said that they will upgrade my shipping to FedEx overnight as opposed to the 2-day shipping options that I chose.

So, for all of you who put stock in Apple by ordering the TiPB within hours after it was announced and have yet to get a shipping confirmation, I feel your pain. I give Apple until this time tomorrow to get me a tracking number for my laptop before real anger ensues.

xpl0re
Feb 4, 2001, 04:58 PM

Kiski - I ordered the exact same config as you, also through the Educational Store....and mine has not shipped yet, but when I called Apple yesterday, they told me that it would probably ship late next week or early the week before (i.e. somewhere around Feb 9th - 12th). Yes, the BTO Airport card probably has something to do with the slight delay...or maybe the fact that since we get a discounted price, we're not as important Apple customers. :-P (just kidding) Good luck!

greggers
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2001, 05:48 PM

I feel your pain too. Stock 400, apple edu store. They seem to be shafting us. I called on Wednesday to fix a problem with my credit card, and asked how my order was doing: "It should ship today or tomorrow," she said. I also got the email saying it woulr ship by the 3rd. Either case, it's sunday right now, and it's currently 'being assembled' according to the order status site.

The 21 day wait is fine, but then to make you expect it is totally cruel. Should've given me 30 day waiting period....

If this continues, I will not buy from the apple store ever again. (I hope my os X order doesn't do the same thing!)

edoneal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 05:51 PM

Don't feel alone. I ordered mine BTO (no educational discount) within two hours of the keynote. I received no e-mail last week promising any kind of a shipping date. Mine still shows being assembled. When they called to verify the order on the 10th they confirmed what the website said when I ordered --- 30 days. That would make it February 8th. I guess I can't scream until that passes.

hledgard
Feb 4, 2001, 07:44 PM

This is an important topic.

It is about Apple keeping its word, and, of course, I strongly support Apple. I do hope they deliver!

Sincerely,
Dr. Ledgard
University of Toledo

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2001, 07:44 PM

I would just like to get the email...at least I would know they are thinking about my order...

ngrande
Feb 4, 2001, 08:49 PM

I ordered a PB G4 400 as is with two airport cards from the Education Apple Store on 1/10 and when I called them on 2/2 they told me I probably won't get it until the third or fourth week of February and that they are going by the number of business days from the time of order.
I walked over to a computer store 500 feet where I live and they have a powerbook G4 400 on display. I at least got to play with it. It really is an awesome machine. Now where the heck is mine

bmatiash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2001, 09:58 PM

I agree with hledgard. The most important part of this entire situation is being made to feel expendable. If Apple were to give us a lead time of 30 days or 35 days or whatever the amount of days it would take to get the PB from one end of the assembly line to the other and out the door, then that is the amount of time that I would wait.

In this case, we were quoted with a 21 day lead time. And to add fuel to the fire, Apple shoots off a mass email telling us that we will get shipping confirmation as of yesterday. They did not make good on that either.

Now, I love Apple products as much as the next person in this forum, but what I do not appreciate is being left out of the loop when I am the paying customer. I would have no problems if Apple sent a mass email saying that it would take them another 7 days to get the PB out, so long as by the time that those 7 days expire, they make good on their promise.

2 strikes already Apple. According to the reps, the rest of the orders placed on the 9th and around then will go out tomorrow. Let's hope we don't get 3 strikes.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2001, 10:53 PM

this alsways happions, apple never stalks what they sell befor they release it.

Campusinfo
Feb 5, 2001, 12:56 AM

My 40omhz off the shelf TiBook just shipped - after pestering Apple for the last week, it went from being assembled tonight to shipped.

I have been calling them every day over the last week, with much frustration. I ordered it on 1/9, within one hour of the announcement. Apple had been promising me throughout the last week that it would ship on the next day - On Monday, it would ship Tuesday, and the like. Each day, I got some type of different information from different reps. It seems like the 400 mhz batch were being tested on Thursday, packed-up over the weekend, and were being picked up throughout the day on Monday.

I hope that this helps anyone else that is waiting!

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2001, 02:16 AM

This one's all over the board, huh? Due to all the runaround *everyone* has been getting, I'm trying my best not to get my hopes too high... although I was told by the Apple Store that Monday would be the ship date. Regardless, I've been stuck in "Being Assembled" for weeks now, like most.

For those who have ordered through the Educational Store, I don't mean to burst bubbles, but I think regular consumer is taking priority over educational and reseller... at least, that's what I've heard.

Then again, everything on this topic is all guessing and rumours at this point... who knows what to believe!

More power to you all... hope you receive your shiny new toy in good time.

Roger A
Feb 5, 2001, 02:45 AM

I received an Email from Apple at 12:02 am with the Fed Ex Tracking # for my Ti G4 400 on Edu Discount! Yea!!!!!!!
Delivery on Monday! Yea!!!

( I ordered it within the 1st hr of Steve Jobs Ti announcement)

greggers
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2001, 03:16 AM

got the 12:02 bell too.

sweeeeet!

Treno
Feb 5, 2001, 07:05 AM

My stock 500, ordered from the Apple Store on 1/9, 11am, just shipped!

Coming from Taiwan...oh, the wait...

Alex

Dispiacere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 10:32 AM

Well I for one cancelled my order from apple for 3 of them because a person who ordered at the same time Jan 9th as I did got his today. And I ordered 3 500s and didn't even get an email til yesterday(mid feb).
It's my money and I will not give it to a company who does not honor sales contracts or treat my business with contempt. I'm going with Dell instead and go x platform in the office. Not an impulse decision but they could not deliver. If it does piss you off, don't take it...do something about it...letting it fester and complaining won't help.
I took action and it feels damn good. BTW (I'm on my 500 g3 writing this, this one took 2 weeks longer to receive too)

cbsteven
Feb 5, 2001, 11:07 AM

You're pissed because someone got theirs today that ordered theirs on the first day of availability? Come on. I can see being pissed if someone who ordered theirs a week after you did got theres while you still hadn't heard, but you're being completely unreasonable.

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 12:11 PM

Well, I called Apple again this morning and was told it could ship THIS WEDNESDAY!!! However, I have still not received that email from Apple that most others seem to have received. Until I see a tracking number and that the box is on the way, I cannot help to be upset about people that ordered a few days after I did already have theirs (I am not mad at the people that received them mind you--I am mad at Apple). Still, I am looking forward to it and would in no way cancel my order and buy a Dell or any other Windows Computer. Duh. I bet it will take you a week to get your Dells and by the time you get them you more than likely would have had your Ti books. Like I said I am a little angry and a little anxious, but I will be *VERY* angry if it comes, say, Saturday and it hasn't shipped...
Keeping my fingers crossed...

PB G4/400 shipped
Feb 5, 2001, 12:16 PM

Well, my PBG4 finally shipped as of last night. It is on it's way out of taiwan! woo hoo! I was getting Po'd with Apple, but now i feel relieved. I ordered 1.5 hours after the announcement on the 9th... I received information that Apple has only shipped between 50 and 100 TiBooks thus far... So when you hear that Apple is shipping, it's really not true. Apple is pi**ing off thier customer base.
Also I heard that Chinese New Year is what killed any kind of productivity at the factory over the weekend...

dilleet
Feb 5, 2001, 12:37 PM

I ordered mine on 1/27 from outpost.com. They told me it will come when it comes. That's good enough for me, the rest of you sufferers of prolonged adolescence will just have to throw your tantrums.
Meanwhile I'm perfectly fine using my 2 cubes and Indigo iBook, the world will not end if I don't get another laptop until sometime in February.
Now I am waiting to hear about your complaints about fingerprints, smudges and hairline cracks. God, what a hard bunch to please!!!!

------------------
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 12:41 PM

Not flaming the Taiwaneese people or anything, but why do they celebrate New Year's for a week and we only do it one day basically? I know the week between Christmas and New Year's is "The Holliday's" but most poeple work from the 26th-31st, adn some even work New Year's day. I guess they just take it more seriously than I do. Maybe one of our Asian members could enlighten us?

Also, I ordered like 6 hours after the keynote. So, if they have only shipped 50-100 units, I do not see how min can ship Wednesday, unless they plan on shipping a ton of them that day. I know more than 50-100 people ordered before I did. At this pace, it will take years to get all the orders sent out!

edoneal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 04:53 PM

Does anyone know of any BTOs shipping or anyone ordering a BTO receiving an e-mail last week with a shipping date? From what I've seen everything that has shipped has been a stock order, not BTO. Maybe I'm wrong. I ordered mine BTO the same afternoon as the keynote (9 January). I have no word from Apple with any promise and it still shows "Being Assembled". Am I the only one who was told 30 days when I ordered? Everyone else is talking about 21.

turiglia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 05:08 PM

i ordered a BTO 500/256/30 the afternoon of the keynote through the apple educational store. no e-mail yet for me, still being assembled. with apple's slip in the education market, you would think they would pay special attention to these customer's. with reports of these e-mails from apple all over the place, at least give us educational purchaser's the same consideration. i have called three times now; and with the 30 day quote on the day i purchased it, was told it should ship this week. still hoping.

Kyosho88
Feb 5, 2001, 05:10 PM

Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday for us chinese people.
We use the chinese calender, so next year chinese new year won't be on the same date as this year. Not all people have the whole week off in Taiwan.
Only companies will take off for a week, but department stores and all your regular stores will not close for the whole week.

Jody
Feb 5, 2001, 06:22 PM

I ordered BTO 500MHz, 10 Gig HD, 128 Meg from Apple's Edu Store on 1/11. No e-mail or shipping info yet... 5 Feb and still waiting.

edoneal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 07:15 PM

Well, it's clear that those of us who ordered BTO (Edu or otherwise) are the ones getting the least information - and certainly not getting them in our hands as quickly. Still hoping on the 30 day quote they gave me..... That would make it this Thursday.

I sure would like it now though, my little PB 2400c is on its last legs - Today the battery crapped out on me. Won't charge, doesn't even show up as being inserted. It's taken a lot of abuse in 3 1/2 years - sure hope it lasts until this Ti gets here.

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info Kyosho!

It does indeed seem like BTOs have not received the email, and EDU customers have not received it either. I guess my BTO from the EDU store is "the cursed configuration ) Like I said, I was told this morning by "Jackie" that it would ship Wednesday, so I hope she was/is right. I checked my email just a minute ago, and of 6:15 p.m. eastern, still no email
If anyone here that bought BTO or form the education store or both, please let us know if you have received the email.

BTW, great board here! Appleinsider has been a real dull place lately...

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 07:40 PM

FYI, here si a message from another thread...the guy brings up a good point that maybe BTOs are made as standard configs and then sent to CA to add the final touches. Maybe, maybe not.
http://lists.themacintoshguy.com/Lis...sage/1811.html

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2001, 02:46 PM

Anyone get a shipping notification or anything today?

tyler durden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 03:02 PM

Mine is stuck in customs in Alaska.

Tony12
Feb 6, 2001, 03:27 PM

For those of us who didn't order within let's say a day or two of the announcement (1-25-01, BTO, edu through school) it would be helpful to know how many macs Apple is rolling out rather than who is getting there's on time, late, etc.. Does anyone have any idea how many G4 PBs Apple is manufacturing daily at this point? So long as they are generating at least as many as the orders flowing since the post-announcement rush, then the longest anyone would have to wait going forward is the number of "pre-orders" Apple has taken divided by their daily output. To show an example of the math, if Apple's quote of 45 days were accurate rather than conservative and they make 1250 machines a day that suggests a backlog of 50k machines.

Oldirtyloco
Feb 6, 2001, 03:58 PM

I have never heard grown men complain and whine so much about somthing so trivial. From the sound of it, I'd think you are all lawyers and the world owes you. Do the world a favor and cut the 5 year old temper tantrums and enjoy your computer when it arrives.

Bellyaching is not the point of this thread.

BTW, I ordered one too, today in fact, but I'm not going to call Apple and hassle some overworked and underpaid customer service rep because I WANT MY TOY BEFORE THE OTHER GUY GETS HIS!

-OlDirty

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2001, 04:10 PM

I don't think anyone is whining--we just want to know when we can truly expect to receive something we gladly forked ~$3000+ for. For that money we deserve some kind of recognition and honest, accurate answers regarding ship dates. Since we don't have that, all we can do is attempt to discern, from information gathered from here and around the net, when we can expect them, what is going on with BTOs, EDU orders, etc. We are NOT whining and acting like 5 year olds.

Oldirtyloco
Feb 6, 2001, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by kiskiboy:
Well, I called Apple again this morning and was told it could ship THIS WEDNESDAY!!! However, I have still not received that email from Apple that most others seem to have received. Until I see a tracking number and that the box is on the way, I cannot help to be upset about people that ordered a few days after I did already have theirs (I am not mad at the people that received them mind you--I am mad at Apple).

Like I said I am a little angry and a little anxious, but I will be *VERY* angry if it comes, say, Saturday and it hasn't shipped...
Keeping my fingers crossed...

"I called Apple again", "Upset", "Angry", "I am mad at Apple"... those are your words. I'd call this post useless, and whiny in tone. It's a prevalent attitude in this country. Life is one long delay, until death. Get used to it. That's all I'm saying. Have a nice day/wait.

[This is my last post on the subject.]

-OlDirty

kiskiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2001, 04:51 PM

Those words DO NOT have to mean I am "whiny." Being angry or just wanting a straight story and honesty and raiding my voice a little does not mean I am whining. Sorry buddy.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2001, 04:52 PM

Hey you know, some of us are 5 yr olds (or pretty close to it)

It may be as important as buying a bic pen to you but,

but some of us actually miss not having $3500 in their checking accounts anymore and not having anything to show for it.

and some of us needed a portable computer for School, work, etc 2 weeks ago!! (improved personal productivity etc)

You obviously don't share the same situation as everyone else here in regards to importance of a portable laptop. It's fine to share your opinion but don't trash everyone elses without knowing what you don't know.

Titanium X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 04:55 PM

Well said self, What idiot tree did that moron fall out of?

Forum Links
Forum Rules