Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Pismo Order

New Pismo Order
Q27
Oct 4, 2000, 04:39 PM

I just ordered my G3 400 on monday from my campus computer store. The educational discount is nice. Eventhough they have a Cube, Powerbook, and iMac on display the people who worked there knew nothing about them. They said that they get their supplies directly from Apple, but they couldn't really say how long it would take to get here. They said that their best guess would be I could have it this Friday to 3 weeks from now. How long does the average order for a non custom built system from apple take? Or has anyone ordered through their school for the educational discount, and does it take any longer for delivery? Hopefully it will get here soon.

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2000, 04:43 PM

Apple has different backlogs at different times for their systems. To get an idea on what the backlog for your system is (if any) is to try and order one from the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com). When you select your item, do not make any additions, just click the 'continue' button at the bottom. The next page should have the estimated ship time, in days.

From personal experience, my PB and my G4 each arrived in three days (bought separately) from Apple via UPS ground. I also live only ten miles from their facilities, so this probably helped a bit.

Good luck, and congratulations on your purchase!

/e

[This message has been edited by jaguarandi (edited 10-04-2000).]

Q27  (op)
Oct 6, 2000, 03:05 PM

As it is stated in the apple store it is a little ambiguous. It says estimated ship "5 days" is this how long it will take before it ships, or how long it will be taken to ship. While when I go to the Apple Education store it says that estimated ship is "1 day". But even if that is 1 day to ship it out, and then depending upon the carrier, it will probably take up to 5 business days. I am also guessing since I am in New York it will take a while longer to get.

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2000, 03:28 PM

The date on the Apple Store's site is the estimated time to get your order out of Apple's door. Hardware almost always ships from Sacramento, so UPS ground to New York is usually 6 business days.

The estimates on Apple's site have been known to be wildly inaccurate, however. When I ordered my Pismo 400 from them, they were quoting ten days (there was a backlog at the time). The machine was shipped the following afternoon, and I had it the next day.

Good luck,
/e

Gunner1954
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2000, 06:43 PM

I ordered my PB G3 400 with 6GB hard drive on 10/4/2000. It was the Education bundle price. Yesterday (Friday teh 13th), my original order was cancelled and replaced with the 400 MHz model with a 10 GB hard drive. Same price. However, It has been over a week and the on-line system still says that the PB is being assembled. I'm getting very antsy to feel this baby in my hands. I paid the added FedEx fee and I live in Sacramento! I believe the PB G3 is shipped from Taiwan. I believe Sacramento only assembles the desktop machinery.

gyc1
Oct 14, 2000, 07:46 PM

I ordered the stock 400MHz educational deal Friday afternoon and it's already shipped from Taiwan to FedEx's facility in Alaska according to FedEx's tracking. Hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday.

johnny mac
Oct 15, 2000, 02:34 PM

gunner 1954-

I too, ordered the PB400 with the education discount. My order was placed back on Oct 8. I kept checking how my order was coming along. it took 4 days of "Reviewing Order" and another 3 days of "being assembled" and then on Friday the 13th it was cancelled and changed to the 10GB hard drive. weird.

-j

gyc1
Oct 15, 2000, 07:27 PM

It seems I am getting the 10gig drive also.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2000, 12:22 AM

Using the case in question, both bad and good things can happen on Friday the thirteenth.

Q27  (op)
Oct 16, 2000, 01:01 AM

I am guessing that I will also be getting the 10G drive, since apple no longer lists the 6GB model. And considering the fact that they said they were still assembling it last week when I ordered it on Oct 2nd. I ordered through my school store, it is easier this way for me. Since I can charge the laptop to my student account. But I cannot check online status for my order. I have to take the word of the Campus Computer Store. They said they talked to Apple, and apple said it would be here this week. I hope so, I don't know how much longer I can go without a laptop.

c:\buyamac.now
Oct 16, 2000, 01:49 AM

So the 10 Gig one is available at the $1999 price point right?

My school's computer shop (UBC) would not give me that price last week when I asked for it, now I'm going through this complicated process of buying from the States and it's all their fault.

Seriously though... can we still get the $200 rebate on the $1999 price? 'cause it seems like Pismo's days are numbered.

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Gunner1954:
I ordered my PB G3 400 with 6GB hard drive on 10/4/2000. It was the Education bundle price. Yesterday (Friday teh 13th), my original order was cancelled and replaced with the 400 MHz model with a 10 GB hard drive. Same price. However, It has been over a week and the on-line system still says that the PB is being assembled. I'm getting very antsy to feel this baby in my hands. I paid the added FedEx fee and I live in Sacramento! I believe the PB G3 is shipped from Taiwan. I believe Sacramento only assembles the desktop machinery.
You are correct, Sacramento does not assemble Powerbooks. They do, however, serve as a shipping facility for them. When you see a 'shipped' status at the Apple Store, sleep tight. Your unit will be there the next day

Too bad they won't let you pick up directly - I tried asking them multiple times and they were very emphatic that their Elk Grove facility is closed to the public

/e

gyc1
Oct 16, 2000, 05:19 PM

My powerbook is here today. It shipped from Taiwan first to Anchorage, so I guess it's shipped to different places depending on where you live.

Q27  (op)
Oct 17, 2000, 02:49 PM

I got my Powerbook today In fact I am writing this message from it. Yehaaa, I did get the 10GB drive which is much nicer than the 6GB.

J.Crew boy
Oct 18, 2000, 12:35 PM

I just ordered a PowerBook last night, through the educational discount. I guess it just took one day to review the order, now it's in the process of being built.

How long does it take to be built? I thought they had thousands of PowerBooks just waiting to be shipped. Anyways, aren't all PowerBooks look alike now-a-days?

How long was it for you guys to get your PowerBook from start to finish?

I can't wait!!!

gyc1
Oct 18, 2000, 03:56 PM

Took me less than three days. Ordered it last friday afternoon, received it Monday morning straight from Taiwan via FedEx. I assume yours should be just as speedy if you used FedEx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules