Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sharing IE prefs.

Sharing IE prefs.
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2001, 04:47 PM

Hi

Is it possible for Explorer installed on two different machines ( which is connected via ethernet ) to "share" the same preference folder? Let`s suppose i read this forum sometime early in the morning on my G4. I can see which threads contains new posts and which does`nt. Later that day i dial up again, but this time i`m using my Tibook to read the posts. The indication of which posts are new since the morning will of course be wrong since i used my G4 tha last time. Is there a way to get the Tibook to "know" which posts i read on my G4?

Thanks.
Tom

Cipher13
Aug 4, 2001, 06:00 AM

The best you could do is perhaps an AppleScript that will copy one comps prefs to the other one at certain intervals... not too difficult to write...

Just a bit of a pain if ones not on the network though.

I mean if the cookies were working right, it shouldn't matter which machine you checked it on... try logging out of the forum (in MacNN's case), on the G4, then in again on the Ti, and see if its updated ok...

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2001, 01:57 PM

Hi

Never tried the login/logout thing. Great idea! I`ll try as soon as the Tibook is finished rendering
Anywhere on the web where i can learn the basics of applescript?

Thanks.
Tom

caifara
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 12:52 PM

the basics are explained in the help centre of applescript (under help on the menubar).
You can enlarge the applescript help with these modules

this will also be very helpfull.

-c

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: caifara ]
-c

caifara
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 02:18 PM

for repeating the task you could use script scheduler

just an idea, haven't got a clue if this would work: Maybe you could make an alias of the pref file on a computer, and switch it with the other comp's pref file.

-c

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: caifara ]
-c

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2001, 02:19 PM

Hi

Thanks for the links!
I was a bit surprised to find so much info about it on the applesite.
Great stuff

Tom

Cipher13
Aug 8, 2001, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by caifara:
<STRONG>for repeating the task you could use script scheduler

just an idea, haven't got a clue if this would work: Maybe you could make an alias of the pref file on a computer, and switch it with the other comp's pref file.

-c

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: caifara ]</STRONG>
Yeah, I was thinking that, but do you think it'd be a little slow?
Continual reading over the network rather than one big burst of data (the AppleScript syncing the data)...

Though, I suppose, if you disable caching, there just isn't that much data being written, and chances are your network is faster than your Internet anyway, so... give it a shot.

The thing with this is it relies on both computers being on, and online at the same time, and logged into each other...

Forum Links
Forum Rules