Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MacOS Mojave.

MacOS Mojave. (Page 2)
mindwaves
Jun 13, 2018, 08:12 PM

The only 32-bit applications on my Mac are QuickTime Pro 7, DVD player, and UnRarX. I actually use QT 7 and UnRarX quite a bit.

P
Jun 14, 2018, 06:50 AM

Well Quicktime 7 has been deprecated for a long time with Quicktime X as the replacement, and they're retiring the entire framework behind it. Apple doesn't sell any Macs with an optical drive anymore, so the writing must be said to have been on the wall for some time. VLC covers both of those uses nicely. UnRarX appears to be dead, but there are several other alternatives for unpacking RARs. I found two in the Mac App Store just now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2018, 12:07 AM

Wonder how long until they strip all the DVD/CD code (regions, burning etcetra) out of the OS, then?

P
Jun 15, 2018, 04:57 AM

The region stuff I suspect will go when 32-bit apps go. Burning likely survives a little longer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2018, 08:10 PM

macOS Mojave beta is out. I'm downloading it now.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 26, 2018, 08:47 PM

Apparently, Mojave doesn't apply any restrictions on 32-bit apps. Reviews of the beta show it only does what later versions of High Sierra do. Pop up a warning dialog the first time a 32-bit app is launched.

mindwaves
Jun 26, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quicktime 7 Pro still works. Once Mojave was installed, I was bombarded by many applications prompting me for various permission issues. Dark mode is OK, but jarring because many applications don't support it. The best new feature is the Stocks app. I've always wanted to use a stock app on macOS, and this seems to do the job.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2018, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Apparently, Mojave doesn't apply any restrictions on 32-bit apps. Reviews of the beta show it only does what later versions of High Sierra do. Pop up a warning dialog the first time a 32-bit app is launched.
I get this with HS:
The version of Final Cut Pro installed on this Mac is not compatible with macOS High Sierra. Download the latest version from the App Store.
The icon for FC pro has the "do not" logo on it.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Jun 27, 2018, 10:47 AM

Sounds like you have a PPC version of Final Cut.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2018, 11:44 AM

It ran under Sierra.
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
It ran under Sierra.
Same with Logic 9.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 1, 2018, 03:35 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:53 AM. )

Thorzdad
Jul 2, 2018, 08:24 AM

Why would you ever do that?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 2, 2018, 08:27 AM

[...deleted...]

P
Jul 2, 2018, 10:14 AM

Put the PDF on iCloud and open it from the iPhone in iBooks.

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2018, 02:52 PM

Dropbox still works for PDFs too.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 2, 2018, 03:17 PM

[...deleted...]

Thorzdad
Jul 2, 2018, 05:07 PM

Scan it as a jpeg in the first place. All a scanned PDF is is a jpeg dropped into a PDF wrapper anyway. It’s an unnecessary step. I’m not sure Photos understands PDF.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
*humbly raises hand* I'm new to DropBox.

Guess I'll look into how to get DropBox to sync with iCloud.
You don't.

DropBox syncs with DropBox.

You install the app on all devices, and have access to everything in your DropBox from everywhere.

I keep my sheet music archive in a DropBox folder and can access that from everywhere.

My equipment manuals, I keep in iBooks, because they're rather larger and might be more difficult to download or recreate in a moment of need.

My scans and fresh sheets (that aren't archived yet or are still works in progress), I keep in an iCloud folder for access from iPad, Mac, and iPhone.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Scan it as a jpeg in the first place. All a scanned PDF is is a jpeg dropped into a PDF wrapper anyway. It’s an unnecessary step. I’m not sure Photos understands PDF.
This. Unless you're also doing an intense OCR process on a document, scanning it as a JPEG will be more than adequate. JPEG scans tend to be much smaller (which means quicker to load, and quicker to download from any cloud-based storage), and more "robust" when it comes to viewing them. I've had theoretically professionally generated PDFs turn out to be crap when opened in certain apps.

The only time PDF is preferable is if you are indeed doing OCR so that your PDF-making software can "generate" the document instead of just wrapping an image in a PDF container. There is benefit in that, since such PDF files are smaller, and are probably less prone to corruption or issues opening in less-well-supported applications.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Jul 5, 2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This. Unless you're also doing an intense OCR process on a document, scanning it as a JPEG will be more than adequate. JPEG scans tend to be much smaller (which means quicker to load, and quicker to download from any cloud-based storage), and more "robust" when it comes to viewing them. [...]

The only time PDF is preferable is if you are indeed doing OCR so that your PDF-making software can "generate" the document instead of just wrapping an image in a PDF container. There is benefit in that, since such PDF files are smaller, and are probably less prone to corruption or issues opening in less-well-supported applications.
There are plenty of advantages of pdf over jpg, most importantly that only with pdf files can you concatenate several pages. Moreover, with pdf, you can get much smaller files because you are not limited by the fact that you have to have to store 16.7 million colors when you don't need any. Many copy machines will automatically switch to black-and-white, and then use a more space-efficient image format to store the file. This can dramatically reduce the required space down to ~100 kB per page (the details depend on the resolution, many copy machines default to 200 dpi which is a tad low for my taste, I prefer 300-400 dpi).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorzdad
Jul 5, 2018, 08:47 PM

Yes, but if he insists on using Photos, a PDF isn’t going to work. That was sort of the point.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2018, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
There are plenty of advantages of pdf over jpg, most importantly that only with pdf files can you concatenate several pages. Moreover, with pdf, you can get much smaller files because you are not limited by the fact that you have to have to store 16.7 million colors when you don't need any. Many copy machines will automatically switch to black-and-white, and then use a more space-efficient image format to store the file. This can dramatically reduce the required space down to ~100 kB per page (the details depend on the resolution, many copy machines default to 200 dpi which is a tad low for my taste, I prefer 300-400 dpi).
All true. But getting an efficiently made PDF out of any source material requires an efficient PDF creating program. Some are really good, others not so much. And if you start with a JPG image, unless you have a really smart PDF program that will recognize the text in that image for you, you wind up with a PDF wrapper around a JPG file.

The OP's statements seemed to indicate that he's "just" making PDFs from JPEG images of documents, which is not at all advantageous. I've done some of this to expedite communicating documents for recording formal professional continuing education credit through a governmental agency. It still wound up being with the result being a larger file than the original JPEG scan.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 7, 2018, 06:15 PM

[...deleted...]

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2018, 06:20 PM

Just to be clear, a Word document that's "printed" to a PDF is a lot more efficient than creating a JPEG scan of a printed document and then having your PDF app create a PDF document from it.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 8, 2018, 07:28 PM

[...deleted...]

mindwaves
Jul 8, 2018, 09:24 PM

beta2 is out and it is much better than beta1.

Seems like the debug code was taken out of this one.

/s

P
Jul 9, 2018, 04:38 AM

None of this addresses why Apple has not put a preventative measure in place yet, such as "Can't add this file, PDF files are not supported in Photos," instead of trying to add it and then corrupting your access to your own photo library.
Because it's a bug. Which happens in betas.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 9, 2018, 07:01 PM

[...deleted...]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2018, 08:07 PM

Well speaking of betas, the "dynamic" sand dune wallpaper has not changed even a shade, as far as I can tell, and I'm connecting to an external monitor. Both on beta 1 and on beta 2. So, I bet that Apple already has reports of that coming in.
Maybe you’re in a place where the sun doesn’t shine

-t

mindwaves
Jul 11, 2018, 11:09 PM

One big note (at least for me) is that Java applets load a million times faster in Mojave. I used to load this .jnlp file, click OK, and wait 3-4 minutes for it to finally load. Now, when I click OK, maybe wait 2-3 seconds and all is OK.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 17, 2018, 07:26 PM

[...deleted...]

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2018, 07:33 PM

Any beta testers with a Fusion Drive?
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Jul 18, 2018, 12:45 PM

[...deleted...]

mindwaves
Jul 18, 2018, 10:51 PM

Hope you leave Apple feedback about this.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 19, 2018, 09:14 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:54 AM. )

mindwaves
Jul 19, 2018, 08:28 PM

I'm liking stacks. I only have 2 stacks on my Desktop, one for images and one for PDFs. Dark mode in Mail will take some time getting used to. The colors used for text are quite bright. The recently used apps to the right of the Dock are OK, but I wish some of them to show up, and when I close, to disappear from the right side. I gave feedback for this to Apple and some others.

Brimolie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
You mean other than that new, redesigned file system that we'd been eagerly awaiting for like 15 years?
Really?
ll the world is made of faith, and trust, and pixie dust.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brimolie View Post
Really?
Yes, it's been on the wishlist for a while.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Ham Sandwich
Aug 6, 2018, 05:48 PM

[...deleted...]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2018, 12:19 PM

Do you guys think that TouchID has a future in Macs ?

I'm expecting FaceID to be implemented, in lieu of TouchID.
The only item where this might be difficult is the future elusive Mac Pro. Apple would have to supply a custom display with camera.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Aug 11, 2018, 12:31 PM

[...deleted...]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2018, 02:53 PM

TouchID measured by shipped units is a dying technology.

What do i need FaceID for ?

PhotoBooth authentication, of course.

-t

P
Aug 11, 2018, 03:10 PM

The current trend in laptops is that have a super thin frame around the display, and this argues against having a camera at all. Of course having a notch is an option, but it seems... unlikely, I suppose?

Note that the companies that have super thin bezels have the camer in he hinges, or in the keyboard, which gives a silly look when used as a webcam.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 11, 2018, 03:32 PM

[...deleted...]

mindwaves
Aug 12, 2018, 10:15 PM

FaceID would be nice on the MacBooks, and just disable it when you are going across the border (or when coming back to the US). I would use it.

OreoCookie
Aug 13, 2018, 05:16 AM

I would prefer FaceID over TouchID on any device — provided FaceID works reliably when I wear a helmet

mindwaves
Aug 13, 2018, 06:00 AM

Not for me, Touch ID on phones always. And it works when your phone is flat on the desk, and Apple Pay using FaceID is just bizarre.

OreoCookie
Aug 13, 2018, 09:23 AM

Try using TouchID with sweaty hands when you are doing sports … 
I do take your point on Apple Pay, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2018, 01:52 PM

As someone who doesn’t have their phone on the table, doesn’t use Apple Pay, doesn’t wear a helmet, and sweats like a mofo, FaceID >>>> TouchID

Forum Links
Forum Rules