Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > MacOS Mojave.

MacOS Mojave. (Page 4)
P
Dec 7, 2018, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I don't have time machine turned on. When I info the system folder itself, The pop up window shows 10.42GB, and below that it shows 7.16GB. Is that why I'm get tinting the spinning beach ball of death?
Could be. Have you run Disk Utility recently? If you have directory corruption (or more correctly, corruption in the free space bitmap) it would look like that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2018, 01:39 PM

P, he's talking about: Apple menu -> About This Mac -> Storage (tab) -> usage bar for boot drive.

Mouse over the usage bar. Color bands show documents, apps, media. For the grey part, the tooltip shows "System". And it's far larger than the actual /System and /Library combined. It appears to me to be what's left over after: Drive Used Space (minus) /Applications (minus) /Users/*/(predefined doc & media folders).

Ham Sandwich
Dec 7, 2018, 03:16 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM. )

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2018, 04:22 PM

I'm picking up an 8TB external drive this weekend. I plan on doing a backup and an erase and clean install. Is time Machine still having issues. Is there an alternate backup method?

I have a theory about the SBBOD It's been running slow since I started using iCloud. I ponied up for the 2TB because I have several gigs of photos. (I have keep originals on the iMac selected) I tried sharing some photos on FB from Christmas 2003. Several of the photos gave an error. I noticed there was an "unable to upload to the cloud" folder. I tried some of the steps posted on the Apple forums and recovered only a few of them. It turns out they were thumbnails of photos that were no longer on my iMac. I do not know what happened to them , but I do not recall deleting any of them. Is was after I deleted the unable to upload album what I started getting the SBBOD.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Dec 7, 2018, 06:32 PM

Chongo, you may not have anything big unaccounted for. More that Apple is counting things in the "System" category that they shouldn't. Namely User folder contents not in the predefined media folders. This doesn't answer the SBBOD question of course.

To rule out big mystery files, you can use OmniDiskSweeper for a size-sorted list of everything on your drive.

Note that due to permissions issues, you'll have to either run it from the root account, or while booted from another drive. Otherwise it will not be able to see into some restricted folders. Which are worth seeing into - lost temp & cache files can hide in the restricted folders. Other members have sometimes found gigs of abandoned temp files.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2018, 09:32 PM

I did some searching and discovered it's iCloud related. As I mentioned i recently ponied up for the 2TB package. As soon as i logged out of iCloud I stopped getting the spinning beach all of death. it was using all it's muscle to upload to the cloud, even with my 1GB connection. As soon as the TM back up is completed I will log back into iCloud and see if it returns.
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2018, 09:58 PM

Just looked at the TM ETA:17 hours. I have 1.67TB of stuff, mostly video. I will need to go through and evaluate what ai need to keep, or burn to DVD's. I best use iDVD while I can. How is FCX for DVD's? I have burned a few BluRays, but did not get a chance to use it for DVD's before High Sierra disabled it.
( Last edited by Chongo; Dec 9, 2018 at 10:56 PM. )
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2018, 10:56 PM

Now at 4 hours remaining and 404GB of 1.67TB
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2018, 09:50 AM

Several failures with no successful backup.
Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “easystore”.

An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.
Logging back into iCloud and watching what happens.
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2018, 03:14 PM

Question: since photos, documents , and music are backed up by iCloud, should these be excluded from the Time machine backup? I think this is where the error is originating.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Dec 10, 2018, 05:56 PM

You can exclude any suspect folders, see if TM will complete, then add them back one at a time. Could take a lot of trial and error, but should ultimately work to narrow down the cause.

You can also try the tmlog script I posted here. It may reveal what tripped up TM during the last attempt.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2018, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Time Machine snapshots?
Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I don't have time machine turned on. When I info the system folder itself, The pop up window shows 10.42GB, and below that it shows 7.16GB. Is that why I'm get tinting the spinning beach ball of death?
TM stores backups locally even when not turned on?
2018-12-11 13:37:41.475754-0700 localhost backupd[7711]: (TimeMachine) [com.apple.TimeMachine:TMLogInfo] Starting age based thinning of Time Machine local snapshots on disk '/'
( Last edited by Chongo; Dec 12, 2018 at 12:43 AM. )
45/47

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You can exclude any suspect folders, see if TM will complete, then add them back one at a time. Could take a lot of trial and error, but should ultimately work to narrow down the cause.

You can also try the tmlog script I posted here. It may reveal what tripped up TM during the last attempt.
The log is quite long. I see from earlier posts error 11 is not good. I also see issues with local backupd. I can post the log if someone wants to dig through it.
45/47

reader50
Administrator
Dec 12, 2018, 05:32 PM

TM complains about assorted things. Most are non-fatal. The errors near the "backup failed" lines are the most relevant.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2018, 11:14 PM

I excluded anything iCloud related and the backup completed.
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Dec 20, 2018, 01:14 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
Dec 28, 2018, 08:39 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
Jan 2, 2019, 12:17 PM

[...deleted...]

mindwaves
Jan 9, 2019, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Found the problem.

Safari Adblock Plus 2.0.3 made browsing those sites slow.
I missed Safari 11 with the real extensions. Safari 12 extensions stink majorly. I used to be able to block ads (or parts of websites I never want to see) with ease. Now, not so much.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 10, 2019, 05:37 PM

[...deleted...]

Forum Links
Forum Rules