Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mighty Mouse Vs. Bluetooth

Mighty Mouse Vs. Bluetooth
Ispeakth3truth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 11:44 PM

After 14 years of a PC and groung through 286 processor, pentium 120 Mhz, pentium III 450 mhz, Athlon XP 2000+; using DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows XP i just ordered a powerbook 15" 1.67 w/ superdrive. Woo! i'm excited. I think it'll last me for at least 5 years as I go through university and the beginning years of grad school. Anyhow, i have always used a wireless doubleclick mouse for my laptop, and now i have to choose between one or the other. As a lifelong windows user and double click lover, should i get the new bluetooth wireless mouse to take advantage of the technology on the new powerbook, or should i get a mighty mouse and live with the cord, yet have my dual function that i'm so used to ? Thanks guys.
-Nav

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 12:22 AM

there are some great bluetooth mice out there (i use a kensington pocketmouse bluetooth; 2 buttons, scroll wheel, third function with both buttons pressed)

do a search (this forum & peripherals) for other suggestions...

bluetooth is nice (but buy a lot of batteries...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ispeakth3truth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 01:22 AM

I've been doing more research, and do i really even need bluetooth? Is bluetooth really that good. It seems like bluetooth is having more problems than a lot of other mice. If they had a bluetooth version of the mighty mouse i would have been set. I don't know, i don't think i can work with the one button feature on the bluetooth yet i don't know if the mighty mouse's lengthy cord will do it for me on my laptop.

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 06:44 AM

i had the same question that you have, i got the apple Bluetooth mouse, and i love it, i like the fact that i don’t have to plug in a damn dongle to get Bluetooth on the laptop, and with the way apple did their Bluetooth connectivity, the mouse always works, and i like not having to plug anything into the laptop, the only plugs i have is 1 my power cord, and 2 my laptop cooler.. granted a mouse cord isn’t that big of a deal, but i would rather not even worry about it, just turn the mouse on and it works.. as for scrolling, hell i use the built in mouse, 2 fingers and you scroll.. not that bad.

If you have never used a mac before, I would recommend getting

Switching to the mac
The missing manual
Its an O’reilly book, very good.

The isbn is 0-596-00452-4 I got it myself, sense I haven’t been in the mac community for about 5 years.. but now that I am back, I remember how much I like the mac platform, and will probably never go with out a mac again… I have the 15” 1.5 with superdrive.. got it about 2-3 weeks ago, and am on the mac 99% of the time, with 1% being on my windows computer… even though my windows computer has about 3X the processing power….

pcummins
Sep 7, 2005, 08:56 AM

I prefer the RadTech BT500 BlueTooth mouse, works great with the 15" I have, matches the PowerBook perfectly. Check www.radtech.us out. The good thing about it is that you can switch it off/on, saving battery life if you've just packed it in a bag. Best to get some rechargeable AAA's however if you use it a lot.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 11:59 AM

>> The good thing about it is that you can switch it off/on, saving battery life if you've just packed it in a bag.

You can switch the Apple Bluetooth off too... and probably any bluetooth mouse for that matter.

I used to have an Apple Bluetooth mouse and I loved it, though towards the end it became somewhat finicky. And also sucked batteries quite fast. I've gone back to a USB mouse for now.

I may go back to bluetooth in the future, but I really wish they made them with a recharging cradle like so many non-bluetooth wireless mice have.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Ispeakth3truth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 01:24 PM

LOL why are you quoting Edmund Burke. He's the father of conservative ideology. He basically said that the classical liberal revolutions of france and Europe were terrible, because they brought instability; despite the fact that the revolutions were destroying the systems of inequality and social control. He argued that the best times in history were the dark ages when nothing happened (and science, medicine and thought didn't advance either) because they were stable. Anywho back to the mac stuff.
The radtech mouse looks cool, but i hate mini-mice. Also your right on the rechargeable issue, but i prefer it being recharged throuh AC power instead of USB. I've played with the mini macally mouse, and while everything is good, i don't like the small size. Macally is releasing a full size BT version in the next 3 weeks. http://www.macally.com/spec/bluetooth/btmouse.html . I think i'm going to wait on that. Anyone have any bad experiences with Macally?

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 08:40 PM

I used to carry around an Apple BT mouse w/my PB g4 17" since it was cordless and matched the look of the G4. However, I always found it a hindrance to real work/editing since it did not have scroll wheel/button. I am a huge proponent of multiple button mouses and think that the mighty mouse its genius is the aesthetic grace which it carries. I am basically arguing the Jobs line of form over function.

Since going left handed, I have switched to the mighty mouse as a road mouse given its compact/lightweight nature and aesthetic appeal. In this case, I find the productivity enhancement to be worth the inconvenience of having a cord.

Desert16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 09:08 PM

Well I have got the Bluetooth and the Mighty Mouse having just recently bought the Mighty Mouse for the multi-directional scrolling and the extra button/functions.

The blue tooth I feel is a better mouse in terms of smooth scrolling etc (the Mighty Mouse gets thrown off sometimes by the mouse mat), and other than the lack of cable, that is about all its pros.

The Mighty Mouse's functions are so useful when it comes to activating Expose and the Dashboard quickly.
The only gripe I have with it is the scroll wheel can sometimes send you back or forward a web page if you scroll too quickly (but I'm probably still getting used to it).

I would suggest you go for the Mighty Mouse, but on the other hand you could wait a short while when they will inevitably release a bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

pcummins
Sep 8, 2005, 10:31 AM

> You can switch the Apple Bluetooth off too...

Actually quite a few third party Bluetooth mice have no on/off switch. Check Logitech and Kensington out for example. If the RadTech had advanced sleep and battery reporting functionality like the Apple BT mouse that would be ideal!

I'm a bit concerned about the Mighty Mouse and the scroll ball, not sure how long it would last once used heavily and getting dirt building up in it. For a desktop, I'd go for the Logitech MX-1000 or laser mice now, they track on almost anything, have a on-off switch and recharge station, and almost instantly pick up tracking from sleep. Only shame is that it's not BlueTooth, and you need the wireless base station plugged in, so I have the BT500 for the laptop on the road.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ispeakth3truth
LOL why are you quoting Edmund Burke. He's the father of conservative ideology.

Because he's obviously smarter than you are.

If you want to spew the usual liberal bilge, please wander over to DUh, where only the like-empty-minded congregate. Please leave it out of this forum. Thanks.

I can't wait for a BT MightyMouse. I just wish they'd make it match the PB!

Dewaine
Sep 8, 2005, 08:22 PM

Agree. Ispeakth3truth, this is a Powerbook forum, I do not come here to read your goofy uninformed ideas. Let's keep the conversation to what we have in common, our Macs!

As a recent PC to Mac convert I have to have a two button mouse with a scroll wheel. For now I'm using the same mouse I used with my PC. In the future I would like a Bluetooth, but for now cannot stand the thought of throwing batteries into it all the time. Will wait for a recharge in cradle model.

Ispeakth3truth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 09:35 PM

Haha, you guys are funny. I will speak up when i feel that there is something outrageous going on, and i think Edmund Burke was an outrageous character. Remind you i did not come here imposing my ideas on anyone, it was just his quote and i felt obliged to say something. "goofy, uninformed, liberal bilge"? Thats just being fallicious and offensive. I'm a history and political science double major, maybe you should open your minds up. Then again a lot of people are threatened by a college student who argues with scholarly poise. Just think about what i tossed out there, i wasn't trying to offend anyone.

Dewaine
Sep 8, 2005, 09:55 PM

But you did offend. I know you are a college student and are enlightened, but again take it to a political forum. This is not the place.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2005, 12:05 AM

I'm a history and political science double major...

That explains it....

Has anyone tried the MS Bluetooth mouse with a Powerbook? I tried one once and for some reason it wouldn't work. The PB would detect the mouse, but it would never finish synching.

I like the MS mouse because it's a full-size rather thann a mid or mini. No way I can use a mini. Any ideas what I may have been doing wrong?

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
You can switch the Apple Bluetooth off too... and probably any bluetooth mouse for that matter.
Except for the Logitech MX900, which, aside from that one flaw, is the greatest BlueTooth mouse ever created.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2005, 03:02 PM

I, too, am waiting for the Macally bluetooth mouse (it was originally promised for August??) I'm currently using a Macally QBall, which is a usb optical trackball scrollwheel with 4 buttons.

The main feature I love on the Macally mice is the software, which allows you to set one-page up or down with the scrollwheel. It works in all the software, and it's simply wonderful to scroll up or down one complete page in Safari or Word or Excel. One click means you've scrolled a complete page. No incremental scrolling (though you can set it that way if that's what you prefer.)

I tried the Logitech MX1000, and loved the ergonomic form-factor and hated the incremental scrolling. I've tried Kensington, and although my TurboMouse allowed page-up/page-down in OS 9, the OS X version allows only incremental scrolling. Never tried the MX900 because of the incremental scrolling.

If a mouse looks cool but the software stinks, what's the point?

Ispeakth3truth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 06:37 PM

But you did offend
I was offended first and foremost. That quote has imperialistic connotations and i'm deeply concerned with this war in Iraq. When i weigh the cost of human lives v. the arrogant assumptions of some random guy, i will choose human lives. It is my obligation to speak up. Since you were educated enough to get a Mac i would have hoped you would be educated enough to know simple ethics. I've made my decision, i'm going to wait for the Macally mouse. Looks really good and i've heard great things.

pcummins
Sep 9, 2005, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
I'm currently using a Macally QBall...
I use a Logitech Marble Mouse due to the necessity to use my left hand, I've tried the right handed trackballs however it exacerbated my right shoulder condition. It would be nice if Logitech revised the Marble Mouse with a scroll wheel, I have to say.

Originally Posted by amazing
If a mouse looks cool but the software stinks, what's the point?
Hm, well software can be fixed, hardware can't. I have to say the incremental scrolling never bothered me that much, and I expect if you contacted Logitech to revise the software they'd probably add that feature in or let you assign keystrokes to all button presses which would fix the problem. They have yet to support side to side scrolling on the MX-1000. Ideally, generic software that learns from the mouse what it supports and lets you assign keystrokes/actions would be the best.

Hardware wise, I'd have to say the worst design I've encountered is the new MS 4-way scroll wheel. Since there's no traction feedback on the scroll it's dead easy to scroll too far or short (say, in playing games) making it next to useless if you're trying to swap weapons quickly. Also the side to side scrolling is crude in comparison to the tight side to side on the Logitech MX-1000. Alas... the hardware is not possible to be fixed, so I've given all MS 4-way scrolling mice a miss. I'm sure some people like it, but it's not for me unfortunately.

pcummins
Sep 9, 2005, 10:33 PM

I've made my decision, i'm going to wait for the Macally mouse. Looks really good and i've heard great things.
OK not a problem - check out the BT Micro http://www.macally.com/spec/bluetooth/btmicro.html, may be more suitable for your laptop and has pretty much all the features of the new one coming out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules