Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How do I DMG a well organized Icon/Desktop Set?

How do I DMG a well organized Icon/Desktop Set?
templetalker
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2004, 07:34 PM

Hi ya'll. I was working on a Icon/Desktop set for my friends and I'm running into trouble with finding a quality disc image (dmg)? Compressor software that sets the icons and folder in the place where I want them to be. I want to have an image in the background where the icons will go around the image in the center for the .dmg as well. Any suggestions? Ideas? Much Thanks ahead of time.

Example given:

Before .dmg,

Icon_____Icon_____Icon

_____BG Image Set_____

_______Folder_______

After compression and decompression the organized folder looks like this

iconiconicon
folder
(background image not found)
( Last edited by templetalker; Apr 10, 2004 at 07:45 PM. )

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 12:10 AM

Well I'm not sure if you've tried this but go to your Utilities folder, open "Disk Utility" and create a new image. Make sure the new image is a "read/write disk image." Place the icons and desktops where you want. Select the disk image, go to File>Get Info and change it's permissions to "Read Only"

that should do it. Have fun!

templetalker  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
Well I'm not sure if you've tried this but go to your Utilities folder, open "Disk Utility" and create a new image. Make sure the new image is a "read/write disk image." Place the icons and desktops where you want. Select the disk image, go to File>Get Info and change it's permissions to "Read Only"

that should do it. Have fun!
Fantastic! Thank You to the highest high Caesar! Here I am hours into this, finaly a breakthrough! Woooot : D

miloszwl
Apr 11, 2004, 02:43 AM

I agree with Caesar. I always do something like that. Disk Utility and then "Image from folder" (read & write). When i have DMG ready on my desktop i open it and choose from view "Only for this window" and i start playing with customization. I hope You know that Your background picture has to be inside that DMG file. I always hide it e.g. using PathFinder.

Good luck,

Milo

templetalker  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by miloszwl:
I agree with Caesar. I always do something like that. Disk Utility and then "Image from folder" (read & write). When i have DMG ready on my desktop i open it and choose from view "Only for this window" and i start playing with customization. I hope You know that Your background picture has to be inside that DMG file. I always hide it e.g. using PathFinder.

Good luck,

Milo
Milo, Thanks to the tenth power for your feedback! That's a great idea using path finder to hide to background image. I just went to download it and will goof around this morning!

Forum Links
Forum Rules