Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Illustrator Problem

Illustrator Problem
jimcpherson
Apr 16, 2004, 11:39 AM

I'm running Illustrator CS installed onto 6 different Macs at my office. 2 systems are brand new G5s with nothing on them but Illustrator and Photoshop. All systems except one are running OS X 10.3.3 (the other has 10.2.8). The problem..? Illustrator crashes on EVERY computer half a dozen times a day! I suspect the problem to be font related since we're all using the same font library over Extensis Suitcase Server, though I have run FontDoctor and it did not identify any font errors it couldn't fix. The crashes occur seemingly at random (opening files, cut & paste, selecting a new tool, etc.), spinning beach ball comes up and BAM!
Illustrator CS has been out for a while with no 11.0.1 update to fix this and people have been bitching about this issue on Adobe's support forums but there doesn't seem to be any real fix (or any confirmation that it is font related at all). Is it just me, or does Adobe seem to be slacking somewhat in its rush to fix this problem?

velodev
Senior User
Apr 16, 2004, 11:55 AM

Adobe has been slow to fix most bugs.

But, keep in mind... InDesign, InCopy, GoLive, Photoshop, Illustrator, and the new Version Cue were released on the same day. That's alot to maintain.

It's only been out a couple months, I wouldn't start complaining.

Some people have lost their entire asset libraries in Version Cue and there have been no updates or bug fixes. Be lucky only having the occasional crash.

jimcpherson  (op)
Apr 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

I don't think 6 crashes in a typical 8 hour work day can be categorized as "having the occasional crash." And if there's a problem with a product how long is an acceptable period of time before the complaining can start? 6 months, 9 months? I'm just looking for a few suggestions on fixing the problem (if there are any).

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 01:19 AM

its adobe, you're gonna be waiting on an illustrator upgrade for quite some time, how well did 10 run for you? is downgrading an option?

jimcpherson  (op)
Apr 20, 2004, 06:05 AM

Downgrading seems to be the only way to go, 10 seemed to be much more stable for us. What sucks the most is that upgrading from 10 to CS (or anytime you upgrade software for 6 computers) its a substantial financial investment (for me anyway). I reaaly would like to get CS working for that reason alone. I hate wasting time and money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules